Smallest load ever?

Sat on a bay for just under 3 hours today, fell asleep, paperwork got bought out to me, “pull off the bay briver and seal it up”

I did and this is what I was loaded with, i kid you not :open_mouth: :confused:

It weighed 16 kilos in total!!!

There are 4 drops on this one, and I ran 200 km to pick it up.

The 4 items weighed about 40kg and the cardboard is there to seperate the drops :laughing:

I had to send our driver to glasgow with our citreon relay van, with just a £3.00 box of screws, the delivery charge was more than the bloody box!

On a regular job for McKellars we used to load for Rover Cars out to Spain,these trailers were called V O R (vehicle of road) trailers and had to be loaded by a certain time! all i loaded one day in a supercube tilt was one jiffy bag with a valve in it, and it had to go!
no wonder the UK car industry has finished :unamused:

Most car companies have an urgent deliveries for off-road vehicle spares. I used to work for Fiat Group and Subaru doing spares round the southwest, and any VOR deliveries absolutely HAD to be done, and there by 8am too.

Was send once with 26 tonner to the Edinburg City Centre (just off the High Street) to collect…

An envelope!

But I am not sure if that’s counts, as I had full load from palletways in Bathgate on the way back. But I wasted over an hour for that envelope.

When I was on Agency work I got a job working for the USAF logistics unit out of Mildenhall.
I was called in a for a Saturday run to Fairford, all I had in the trailer was a few boxes I could have got in the cab, but as they didn’t know what I might get as a return load they sent an artic insteadof a car or a van.
I returned empty. :laughing:

Does running home empty qualify? :laughing:

scottishcruiser:
Does running home empty qualify? :laughing:

Depends what you mean.

Did a job on casual years ago where you ran 100ish miles with an empty and picked up what was ready.

came home empty once. :unamused:

Tipping Inverness or even as far as wick from Cairnryan to run back to Cairnryan empty was never a far cry with Roadferry.

scottishcruiser:
Tipping Inverness or even as far as wick from Cairnryan to run back to Cairnryan empty was never a far cry with Roadferry.

I know I was being flippant :smiley:

many a time ive ran empty back from london/oxford back up to dysart or kinross or edinburgh.

ran bobtail from crewe to holyhead to collect a trailer from ireland. got to docks to find trailer hadnt been sent. ran bobtail back to crewe.

nice day out in N.Wales in a 2 seater :laughing: :laughing:

I used to coming back empty a lot of times

1. They don’t produce too much in Hebrides, so I was going there loaded up to the roof, and only from time to time I had something to bring back - some returns or pallet of hebridean oat cakes

2. In my last job I was driving for own needs of the company and we didn’t carried anything for third party. So drop your staff in Plymouth and go back empty to Glasgow - that was the longer one I suppose…

i lifted a trailer in birkenhead and took it to charles de gaule some freight place it had to be there 6am monday morning all i had on was 10 standard pallets stacked on top of each other and 10 collapsed cardboard boxes

I wish I’d taken a photo of a load I had three weeks ago.

I took a rigid (first time driving one in four years, took an hour to get used to it after being in artic mode for so long) to Scunthorpe, the Nisa warehouse.

I tipped ten pallets of dried fruit and flour from Whitworths and they informed me that there was one too many cases of Sultanas. So, back on it went.
There were no empty pallets but a pcv instead.

So, my load back to Northampton was a one kg case of Sultanas. Security guard says “What you got drive?”…I’ll leave the rest to your imagination.

Also, on my second ever day on an artic, I took four small pallets on the front of a trailer to the Co-op in Gillingham for Corby Chilled. It was a Saturday, and I was an agency worker on god knows how much per hour. A 7.5 tonner would’ve been more than enough for the job. I remember being gutted as I was very keen to know what forty four tons felt like. Nowadays I pray for four pallets as I know what forty four tons feels like, normally in a knackered and underpowered old ERF.

Once or twice I’ve had to take 1.5 tons of paper to Bristol on a trailer whereas it would normally be 20-25 tons.

ezydriver:
So, my load back to Northampton was a one kg case of Sultanas. Security guard says “What you got drive?”…I’ll leave the rest to your imagination.

I perfectly know what it was…

I used to pick some hebridean orders from huge Kuehne-Nagel depot near J4 M8…

I was driving into weightbridge on the entry and when living, and altough they had paperwork for about 6-7 orders, the weight of the vehicle wasn’t changing much enaugh to be deductable due to sensitivity of weightbridge. No wonder if it was orders like

• one case of wine for one hotel
  • one bottle of whisky for other
  • 10 0.25 bottles of wine for another one…
    etc :wink:

I’ve had loads of these when I was with Gist (M&S).

Had to go from Salisbury to Exeter once with ONE cage. I was also on my way to Southampton docks in a Draw Bar to get the ferry to the IOW once when I saw this van flashing it’s lights at me when I was going up the slip road off the M27. I recognised the van as the works van and pulled over. One of the Transport Managers got out the van and handed me ONE TRAY that had been left off the load, I mean ONE TRAY… And they bang on about saving money… :unamused:

I once ran empty with one of those old 12m spreadaxle Bulgarian tilts that Davies Turner used to pull for Willi Betz from Hamburg to Audi at Ingolstadt to pick up a box of 12 light bulbs for a display at Silverstone circuit :open_mouth: it fitted in the side locker on my F12 Globey so I never even bothered putting it in the trailer, got paid a special rate for it too :wink:

I had a key to a case delivered to me via a 18 tonner in Denmark once, someone had forgotten to pack it. Nothing else on board, he even put it in the back for comic effect. Thats all he brought and went home empty. I would think 600km and £150 in bridge tolls.