smallest load

I had to take a 20ft curtainside trailer on thursday up to Helensburgh from an engineering place nr Evesham was shocked to find this after the seal was taken off the back doors

all that way to take 2 bins with 4 shafts in each of them would of been quicker and used less diesel to have took them in my motor.

Went to Two Sisters at Scunthorpe for an agency one time, the job was one pallet with one layer of baskets on to Tescos snodland back empty with a 45’ fridge, ON A SUNDAY.

We used to load from Gefco to PSA Ryton. We had at least 2 trailers everyday, whatever was in the warehouse bay went on the trailer. We had loads like that all the time, probably why Ryton is now closed.

It is supposed to be called Just In Time :unamused:

We used to put straps over them though :stuck_out_tongue:

I would of :slight_smile: strapped them down but as it was already sealed up couldnt do it

there was a post on here a while ago about a driver who went a lot of miles empty to pick up a load and when he got there in a 40foot flat bed he was handed a small puffa bag of washers…some made a mistake of the amount it was meant to be 20 ton and someone wrote 20 washers or something like that

on agency one day for cfc i took a 26toner down i tight winding narrow street to deliver a BOX of SCREWS, i could not belive it, what acomplete waste of time and fuel and everything else that went into it. but there we are 8hrs plus o.t wasnt to bad for me

Doing B&Q had a load of deliveries round about Edinburgh. Then last delivery was the top for a radiator down to Berwick on Tweed, was 4pm and we thought screw that, so “lost” the radiator cap :slight_smile:

I once too one tonne of tar on a 6-wheeler from Brombrough to Southport, sat there for four hours, gang turned up, took two shovel fulls and dumped the rest in a skip! :open_mouth:

took 10 4 inch by 12inch packs of rockwool clips not sure what the are used for to a building site in coventry the other week was a good trip though did suggest that i put them in my cab and run to the site solo but needed the empty for the return load

Met a Securicor plane at Birmingham airport years back (80’s) Undid curtains, they gave me a box of Ford Transit manifold bolts for Ford Southampton!!

It’s no wonder Transport’s in the state it’s in nowadays :unamused: this happens on most days of the year from probably every big (and small) company, when most times all it takes is a phone call - if someone can be arsed - to get it sorted :imp: and best of all it’s the driver that gets the stick it in the end for wasting fuel :open_mouth:

Going back quite a few years now I once picked up a 10metre length of 1inch pipe in an empty tilt with instructions to get it down to Grays a s a p. When I arrived there it was trans-shipped into another tilt, one of Mickey Luffs for you old timers. The two drivers were waiting to take it non stop to Sicily. Total weight about 1cwt.

not quite in the same league distance wise.
but once took a 17 tonner from mansfield to liecester.
to deliver an A4 ENVELOPE.
and returned empty. :open_mouth:

Did a good one a few weeks ago.

Went from Dewsbury to Clitheroe in an empty artic just to pick a driver up who was dropping his wagon off there. Then had to go all the way back to Doncaster.

170 miles empty running and my wage for nearly half a day - surely it would have been cheaper in a taxi or by train!

I took a handful of invoices from one part of Sheffield to another part of the city in a 12 tonner. The warehouse chap stared at me in absolute disbelief when I promised him (several times over) that the invoices were the extent of my cargo. He thought at first that I was winding him up and that I had a wagonful for him, I think.

did a good one a few years ago,
procter & gamble trafford park to proctor & gamble pratteln, 1 euro pallet in a 45 ft tautliner :laughing:

one new years day about 10 yrs ago i took a 4o ft tr to m&s at faversham with 18 small cases of biscuits,got paid 12 hrs at double time + a days hol pay for doing it, sadly its never happened again :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Several years ago, the firm I was subbing for gave me a job. Solo from home (near Preston) to Strassbourg, pick up a new tank from the factory, take it to our closest depot in southern Germany, get it fitted out with pipes, adapters, connectors etc. “Oh and they have to set up an electronic wander-lead for the hydraulics.” When your done there’ll be a load from Ludwigshafen back to UK. So off I go.

Pick up the tank, ask why the jump pipe carrier box is where it is, and will it clear the unit, “of course”, so immediately wipe out the units rear lights, after they have replaced them, and moved the offending box, off to Germany. “Is this your tank,” “no” say I, just picking it up. Oh we need to have the unit thats going to pull it to set up this wander-lead, stupid idea but thats how it is. “Oh what do we do now?” “Drop it over there and go home”, “what solo” say I, “yes” they say.

14.6mpg! A very profitable week for me.

think it was palmer and harvey , sent a third full trailer to aberdeen to run back to the midlands empty? only that after ten minutes of the part load leaving another, exactly the same did exactly the same trip

Thirteen years ago whilst at Hygena on agency, we used to have what we called “The Hygena Air run”. You’d take an empty trailer to Runcorn, swap for another empty and take that to Stockton then swap again for another empty and run back to Howden. Apparently it was all to do with accountancy and keeping the budget for the transport department the following year as I think it was done in the same way councils get thier budgets - use it or lose it.