Lift to Glasgow

A mate, who is married to a Philippino lady, :laughing: has just emmigrated there. I have bought his Audi A6 tiptronic (for resale) which he has left for me with a neighbour.

The car is in Glasgow, I am in Preston. :unamused:

:bulb: Now if anyone was Glasgow bound towards the end of this week, or early next, it would be kinda helpful. I might even do a few hours behind the wheel for you. :laughing:

Regards, Jonathan

I was told tomorrow my load might be going out to Glasgow from Limmerick which means I would be coming in through Liverpool if thats any good, for Thursday morning

ill have a word at work tommorow weve got transpoters round that way alot

W H Malcolm run a trunk out of their Preston depot to their Glasgow hubs. Try thumbing. :laughing:

still looking :open_mouth:

Skyhook, Iā€™m an ex Trade Plater & therefor somewhat of a professional ā€œthumberā€ & from that considerable experience know that it is much more efficient & easier to arrange a lift in advance.

W H Malcolmā€™s depot is well south of me & they are more or less straight out of the yard & onto the m/way.

If nothing comes from Trucknet, I probably will take my plates & hitch. I could go by National Express, but how boring is that!

Ive got a load for perth on tuesday so could you upto hamilton services if thats any help.

Paul

If I get anything I will let you know, sometimes I go to Coatbridge. Nothing on the cards as yet though mate.

later

Allrighty

im loading heanor at 0600 monday for greenock, although i normally route via the a66 ill make an exception if your desperate jonathan.

There is a 1 in 3 chance of Motherwell leaving 01:00 Monday morning, otherwise Iā€™m afraid its going to be Grantham or Leicester, I wont know until I get to depot.

Sorry I cant give a definate.

Allrighty

Thanks Allrighty, (and others) but thatā€™s kinda early anyway!
Iā€™m not ignoring the thread & have PMā€™d some of the guys with the offers above.
But keep 'em coming as nothing defo yet. Aiming for Tuesday.

No worries m8, just see what turns up. just checkin b4 i leave to see whats what. later peeps.

Allrighty

Well guys it looks like Iā€™ll be up the road on the thumb & trade plates tomorrow (Tuesday).

So if you see a guy with a yellow jacket, trade plates, grey hair & specs between Preston & Glasgow, thatā€™ll be me :unamused:

Some cracking lifts offered above by Liam & Paul especially, but unfortunately neither thought to PM me their phone numbers :cry: :cry:

For those who were left wondering: I made it :smiley:
with no small thanks to Paul.

07.40 lift with neighbour to Garstang
08.00 attempt lift up A6 to M6 J33
08.20 nothing doing & aware Paul is gaining on me
08.25 taxi into Forton services (back way in) 4.3 miles Ā£7.50 :unamused:

may well have got a lift as required, but it is impossible to hitch to a time table.

09.00 Paul collects me in services
12.00 arrive Motherwell services

Put ā€œGlasgowā€ up. About 10 mins get lift with elderly gentleman, ornithologist, fell & mountain climber, to Cambuslang station. He even tells me what time the trains will be!
Ticket machine at office broken ā€œpay on the train.ā€ Never saw anyone to pay!
Arrive Glasgow central, purchase onward ticket to Bearsden (Ā£2). Laugh with man in ticket office re understanding each others accents. (2 nations divided by a common language etc)
He tells me which platform & I find myself back on the same train iā€™ve just got off, :unamused: just before the doors close :laughing:
A very smart & chatty dolly bird in fish nets makes sure i get off to change at the right station (Partick)
About 25 mins wait, then 15 mins train ride to Bearsden. Iā€™d looked at my A-Z & noticed that the road where my mate lived (& hence the car which was at his neighbours) was under a mile away, so thought iā€™d walk it. But its pouring down, so I think Iā€™ll get a cabā€¦oh no I wonā€™t. This station is like a small out post & there werenā€™t any around. :cry:
By the time I get there my trousers are wet as the rain has been running off the bottom of my coat, & onto themā€¦ you know how it is.
As soon as I rounded a corner I recognised where i was & had no problem going straight to the house for 14.15hrs

The guy is out, but has left the keys hidden for me. The rain is coming down sideways & hard & Iā€™m trying to check the spare wheel & tools, dip the oil, check the lights, etc.

I roll my wet jacket up outside in & put it & the plates in the boot (Its taxed). Get in & get it fired up. By the time iā€™ve answered some text messages, its demisted & the bloomin sun is out :unamused: :unamused:

14.30: Drive to BP station at bottom of road & put Ā£30 petrol in it. Back off pumps & make a start on butty lunch, which I am more than ready for.

14.45: Head towards city centre eventually picking up the M8. After my soaking earlier, iā€™ve now got my sun glasses on!

As soon as I was clear of Glasgow, stop at Bothwell services for coffee from flask & chunky kitkat.

Next stop Killington lake (cos its an easy in & out).

18.05 Home sweet home.

Had cruise set on about 76mph most of the way. One patch of EXTREMELY heavy rain where you run by the railway thruā€™ the hills where we were all down to about 35, but only for a few minutesā€¦

190 miles Exactly 3 hours driving time :smiley: = average 63.33

Vorsprung Dork Tecnic!

:smiley: glad you made it d1uk :smiley:
howed u find the tiptronic (please dont say its just behind the steering wheel) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Its on the stick :laughing: :laughing: I looked around for it :open_mouth:

Drove it back in auto. Did just have a quick play with it (the tiptronic :exclamation: ) on some errands yesterday lunch time, but was chatting to female passenger :laughing:
Think it would be good fun if you wanted to drive spiritedly accross country.