Licence but don't use it!

Just wondered how many of you hold hgv licence and don’t use it (like me!). And how long not used it for? Why do we hang on to 'em? Would you go back to it?
[/quote]

Ive got one and dont use it (That sounds like something the wife would say) but im not sure what u mean by why do we hold onto it unless you are talking about renewing it ie: going for a medical. I personally have no intention of going back to driving but I could never say never I should also mention one of my brothers and my dad both hold the license but dont use it.

montydog:
Just wondered how many of you hold hgv licence and don’t use it (like me!). And how long not used it for? Why do we hang on to 'em? Would you go back to it?

[/quote]

I SEE THIS AS A SILLY QUESTION.

1 WE HANG ON TO IT BECAUSE IT IS A GOOD FALL BACK

2 U CANNOT GET RID OF IT UNTIL YOU HAVE A MEDICAL (OR DONT WANT TO RENEW)

3 WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO

MY OPTIONS
ANYWAY :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

send them to me lads, i’ll use em! :wink:

montydog:
Why do we hang on to 'em?

…because it’s lots easier and cheaper to renew it (and keep it as a ‘plan B’ in case of hard times) that to start again from scratch at a later date.

In a few years time what will happen when we’re all forced into mandatory usless training in order to keep our licences. What will then happen to those who have the entitelment on their licence but don’t have all the b/s paperwork to then make it useable as the cost of keeping it up will no doubt be sky high?

First sorry for asking a silly question! I forgot that a lot of drivers are under the dreaded 45 medical limit. cos i have had my licence for 31 years and became dissenchanted with the business some years back, I still keep it going expensive medicals etc. Couldn’t imagine going back to it but still hang in there for some reason.

teddy_0781:

Actually, you can. You simply send your licence off to Swansea and ask them to remove your C/C+E.

Conor:

teddy_0781:

Actually, you can. You simply send your licence off to Swansea and ask them to remove your C/C+E.

thats if ur stupid

Haven’t used mine since retirement but keep renewing it as the med. only costs me €24 each time. I never know when someone is going to ring up and say ‘how do you fancy a week’s work?’. (Don’t want any more at one go :wink: :laughing: )
I’ll keep it going ‘till I can’t pass the doc. but one speck on the horizon is my 5-yearly FCOS (French version of forthcoming drivers’ cpc) is due next June. I may pay myself for the course (3 days) if I can afford it. Waiting for the letter now :cry: .

Salut, David.

I haven’t drove an Artic for over 2 years, I have to do a medical in a year or so, I will keep my licence even though unless this industry changes drasticly I cant see me ever driving again…

But you never know…

Interesting, I lived in Australia for years, and I still keep my licence(class5b) going over there easy no medicals, I use brother-in-laws address to have paper work sent to, might go back one day, could be handy, 'cept it’s been along time. I used to drive for Ansett Frieght Express in Gardiners Road, St Peters, Sydney. Perhaps Bondi Tram remembers them? Anyone know if they ever got into tachos in Aus?

Hi

Just noticed this thread and have a question regarding medicals.

I don’t use licence but wish to keep it, my medical expired 6 months ago approx. How long before you have to sit the medical and are you in danger of losing the licence if you don’t bother with the medical?

PS Age 50

regards

Your licence expires on your 45th birthday, you then sit a medical and that ‘renews’ your licence for a further 5 years, then you sit another medical to renew it again.

AFIK if your licence has expired then you’re driving illegally, unitl you pass another medical and get your renewed licence back.

dennisw1:
Your licence expires on your 45th birthday, you then sit a medical and that ‘renews’ your licence for a further 5 years, then you sit another medical to renew it again.

AFIK if your licence has expired then you’re driving illegally, unitl you pass another medical and get your renewed licence back.

Cheers for the quick reply, I am not driving as I am aware it ain’t legal, just wondered if there was a time limit when you have to resit a test?

depablo:
just wondered if there was a time limit when you have to resit a test?

I’m not aware of a time limit rule, AFAIK all you would need to do is to pass and send off the medical to regain the entitlement.

depablo:
Hi

Just noticed this thread and have a question regarding medicals.

I don’t use licence but wish to keep it, my medical expired 6 months ago approx. How long before you have to sit the medical and are you in danger of losing the licence if you don’t bother with the medical?

PS Age 50

regards

this is actually a bloody good question. i havent seen it come up before so there will be some thinking caps on today :laughing:

Once your 45 Yrs old a new medical is required, then repeated every five years.

I am not ware of there being a limitation on the issue of the licence, having passed the test you have the entitlement and that is held in suspension until you request the licence re-issued and produce a valid medical certificate.

scanny77:
this is actually a bloody good question. i havent seen it come up before so there will be some thinking caps on today :laughing:

It has come up before, Richie. I’m sure a ‘search’ will find it (but I ain’t got time just now :blush: ).

IIRC, the answer was, get the medical done, send off to DVLA, entitlement back legally!!

I think the Licence remains ‘renewable’ for a period of 10 years.

After that, the record is deleted.