retired hgv drivers

have you kept your licence on, even if you have no intention of driving trucks again.
I am probably not going to renew mine but confess to feeling that I will miss having it as this will mean I am no longer a hgv driver but only an ex hgv driver.
Anyone else retired feel the same?

When Dad retired 11 years ago he was asked by his company if he would stay on as a trainer. Second word was off. He was offered in the last week before retirement, had he been offered earlier he may well have taken it.

He did keep his PSV going until 4 years ago when he was hit with cancer. Although he let the licence lapse he did beat the cancer and is still a grumpy old git :laughing:

He now drives for hospital transport 3 days a week.

Haven’t driven HGV in the UK since Januray 1993, but was in the Uk last year for 6 months and renewed my class 1 even after quad bypass and type 2 diabetis, so not bad.
Probably never drive again but didn;t want to let it go, was hard work getting it back in the early 80’s.
Drove super links here in RSA for a couple of years but gave that up too
Cheers

Went for my medical last week,(Need one every year now),and the doc asked me how long I was going to keep this up.
I told him as long as I keep passing,I’ll keep coming.
It would be a shame to let your licence go then get the urge to have another wheelie!.
Doing two night trunks a week is a paying hobby for me.

I have just checked it, and my C-CE-C1 and C+E elapsed on the 24th of July 2010. At that time I was 75 years of age. I intended to renew it in 2010, but when I went into the room , the GP, who had not met me before , looked at me as if I had just fell out of a ■■■■■■■ tree, and said " What is a man of 75 doing, thinking that he should be driving juggernauts (sic). :open_mouth: :open_mouth: My reply was, " Juggernauts my ■■■■■■ arse. I was going to be paying you 85 ■■■■■■■ quid, to find out if I was still up to it medically. But Bollox to you and it, I,ve changed me mind.Tara". I had used it since I retired in Dec. 1999 doing a bit of holiday and week-end cover, for an ESL owner driver.But mainly, I liked having it in my wallet just to help me feel that I was still alive and kicking. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: . I should use the picture of me on it as my avatar on here :bulb: :bulb: , wot with me being a bit of a handsome old ■■■■■ :laughing: :laughing:

Buycrider:
I have just checked it, and my C-CE-C1 and C+E elapsed on the 24th of July 2010. At that time I was 75 years of age. I intended to renew it in 2010, but when I went into the room , the GP, who had not met me before , looked at me as if I had just fell out of a [zb] tree, and said " What is a man of 75 doing, thinking that he should be driving juggernauts (sic). :open_mouth: :open_mouth: My reply was, " Juggernauts my [zb] arse. I was going to be paying you 85 [zb] quid, to find out if I was still up to it medically. But Bollox to you and it, I,ve changed me mind.Tara". I had used it since I retired in Dec. 1999 doing a bit of holiday and week-end cover, for an ESL owner driver.But mainly, I liked having it in my wallet just to help me feel that I was still alive and kicking. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: . I should use the picture of me on it as my avatar on here :bulb: :bulb: , wot with me being a bit of a handsome old [zb]. :laughing: :laughing:

Well said that man… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

del949:
have you kept your licence on, even if you have no intention of driving trucks again.
I am probably not going to renew mine but confess to feeling that I will miss having it as this will mean I am no longer a hgv driver but only an ex hgv driver.
Anyone else retired feel the same?

I felt exactly the same as you Del, when the renewal papers came I thought it over for a while but in the end went for the medical and everything was OK so I have my class one till Aug.2012 when shall be 66. I was lucky enough to retire at 59 (over 5 years ago ). I don’t miss the work but don’t half miss my old work-mates, although we have a get-together now and again. The main reason I kept my licence up is because I am considering buying an “oldie” to rally, not too far away though just around East Anglia. Regards, Haddy Gt. Yarmouth.

My wifes old feller kept going till he was 74…and one of the lads I worked with still renews at 72…but mainly to keep some entitlement for his big car trailer cos he does cars up

Buycrider:
I have just checked it, and my C-CE-C1 and C+E elapsed on the 24th of July 2010. At that time I was 75 years of age. I intended to renew it in 2010, but when I went into the room , the GP, who had not met me before , looked at me as if I had just fell out of a [zb] tree, and said " What is a man of 75 doing, thinking that he should be driving juggernauts (sic). :open_mouth: :open_mouth: My reply was, " Juggernauts my [zb] arse. I was going to be paying you 85 [zb] quid, to find out if I was still up to it medically. But Bollox to you and it, I,ve changed me mind.Tara". I had used it since I retired in Dec. 1999 doing a bit of holiday and week-end cover, for an ESL owner driver.But mainly, I liked having it in my wallet just to help me feel that I was still alive and kicking. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: . I should use the picture of me on it as my avatar on here :bulb: :bulb: , wot with me being a bit of a handsome old [zb]. :laughing: :laughing:

I’m not sure whether that’s heart warming or frightening :open_mouth:
Would love to think that I will have the will and the medical ability to renew my license at 75. I know what you mean about having the license in your pocket. My Dad gave his up at 65 and I was horrified.

Hiya …retired from driving artics 8 years ago only (52)did a couple of nights at tesco doing shelves
then got a call… can you help me out for 6 weeks that lasted 6 years(really good job )(HSE) spoiled it
so i retiered again. still got my licence and do a job that comes up every few years for a couple of
months so next job is may 2012… I have a camper van and pull my classic car on a trailer…
no problem if the cops stop you loads o licence plus… i have a classic AEC 6 legger for shows
I’ll maybe give it all in when i’am 65 and just mess with my bikes… its to costly getting a medical
every year. …I’ve had plenty of good times driving but the good times have all gone.
John

some interesting replies, it seems that once you have diesel in your veins that you are stuck with it!

as I said in my original post, I have no intention of working again, BUT, to be honest if someone asked me to do an odd shift with decent tackle and a soft job I would snap their arms off.
I dont miss the work but I do miss the trucks.
wifey plays hell about it, wherever we go I spend half the time looking at trucks.
I was in Turkey last month and saw a Ford Cargo tri axle unit, which appeared to be built with a Renault / FH cab and when I complained that I didn’t have my camera with me she really got cross!!!
(surely any big Ford should be badged as Transcontinental not Cargo)

Maybe I’ll keep licence on and hope for some more fun with big, smelly, noisy trucks 'cos I can’t spend all my life standing at the side of the road watching them!! :frowning:

my old mans 68 and still doing 3 nights a week on a agency doing the same job that he was doing when he took early retirement when he was 60.

I know an old guy who is 82 years young. He says he will pack it in this year.Age is just a number, if you are still confident and can hoist your bones into the cab well why not.?

Sent my licence off in april, and just got a phone call this morning from DVLA. Theyb are making arrangements for my treadmill test, and failing that another test that strains the heart by pumping fluid around it. Anyway they said i will only have to do the test every 3 years, but will only renew my licence on an annual basis…so i think this will be my last one. I work 3 days a week, and my wife will have to work 3 years longer so i will stick it out till she retires, or until i win the lotto. :laughing: