Lgv2 training nightmare of a first day

Please help
first this is a repeat, think i might have posted in the incorrect group.sorry.

All ladies, gents, anyone out there.?
First day Friday on lgv 2 training, start again Monday for a test wed morning.
Absoulete shambles and nightmare of a day with the four over four gears, reverse and braking exercise fine but those gears, is it normal to get towards day two and still be having terrible trouble with the gears.
I really need to be able to go onto test routes tomorrow but the thought of enfield and north london trying to get to grips with the gearbox has given me a sleepness night i can tell you…any thoughts on the subject by you experienced drivers out there…thanks

hi, mate

i remember when i was doing my class 2 in january there was 2 of us training in the iveco i had a couple of issues with the gear box the same as yours 4 over 4 but nothing too drastic where as the lad who was doing the training with me he was having a absoulete nightmare with the gears driving around roundabouts approaching junctions riding the clutch and coasting etc.
the first day he couldn’t reverse etc where i was fairly competent at most of the driving gears and not too bad at reversing but as the week went on we both improved quite alot. on test day morning we had a couple of hours each in the truck and we both drove easily to test standard our instructor was very pleased with the pair of us and more than confident we would both pass with flying colours. well i went out first and i failed i clipped a kerb on a tight roundabout and also got a few minors.
i went off home feeling vey down as i was very confident that i would be going home with a nice shinny blue pass certificate but to no avail. i text the other lad later on to find out how he got on he passed with 2 minors and yet on our first day he was beside himself with worry because he couldn’t sort the gears and all the other things i mentioned above so dont beat yourself up too much mate i’m sure you will be a lot better tommorrow now you’ve got a bit of experience behind the wheel.
anyways i’m sure you’ll do well and good look for wednesday.

mwalcot:
Absoulete shambles and nightmare of a day with the four over four gears

is the four over four box a slap over box or is there a range change switch on the gearknob its self?

just relax and dont let it worry u im sure ull be fine

`hi mate, dont worry bout it. just remember LISTEN TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR TAKE YOUR TIME AND DONT RUSH THE GEARBOX. do you remember the tom robinson song 2468 motorway?? :smiley: well there you go. 2468 at the bottom by your leg 357(9) at the top and foreward, flick the switch up atfer 4. do you block change?? if you do try gear by gear up and down till you get used to the positions.It will come and all fall into place. just sing yer song 2468 motorway. :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

thanks for all your words and advice, to chappy 262, its a four over four with a range selector, but my instructor has got me from the start of a pull away in third, and then anything in high range doing block changes, maybe going up and down the box may help but obviously trying to intently do what he is asking for.
entering things like a roundabout and hitting fifth is fine, however things go pear shaped if someone is on or i need to stop and then things happen to quickly and trying to select low third with a mirror and blindspotcheck leaves me all over the place.
sorry for the grammar and explainations, i suspect you experienced drivers out there know what im talking about.

Hi mate dont worry about it :smiley: it will all fit in to place this week for you, and just remember to take your time. it all about your forward planning and getting the right gear before you get to the roundabout which will come in time.
Good look and keep us posted :smiley: :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome mwalcot :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

mwalcot:
is it normal to get towards day two and still be having terrible trouble with the gears.

Perfectly normal for some :slight_smile:

Try forming a picture in your mind of the gearbox and how it works - that may help.
Then close your eyes and pretend you are in certain situations and physically do the moves of clutch, switch and gearstick - I would suggest doing this in private as others will think you are bonkers !!!

mwalcot:
entering things like a roundabout and hitting fifth is fine, however things go pear shaped if someone is on or i need to stop and then things happen to quickly and trying to select low third with a mirror and blindspotcheck leaves me all over the place.

Did you know that the switch for the range change can be moved without it actually changing the range?

The range will not change until the stick goes into or through neutral

This can allow you to approach in 5th with the switch in the low range position in readiness for a low range gear such as 3rd

WARNING - if you have done the above and do not need to go to low range then put it back to the up position or trying to go from 5th to 6th will result in you going from 5th to 2nd :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

then things happen to quickly and trying to select low third with a mirror and blindspotcheck leaves me all over the place.

The things happen so quickly bit tell a story. TAKE YOUR TIME. this is the most important part of training. Taking your time does not mean driving slowly it means allowing yourself all the time you need to get everything in place at the right time and not having to rush things last minute. Your instructor should have drummed that into you at the start.
You probably know how to handle the gears by now but the problem is that you are probably not giving yourself enough time to think - then select - then progress.
Usually with four over fours the take off gear is four low so the best thing is switch down and select fourth then get the switch up right away ready for the higher gears.
Approaching roundabouts and junctions usually dropping down to high five is fine but if you have to go lower then you need to asses this on the approach and be ready with the switch down.
Try taking more time over it and it should solve the problem.
Dont Panic.

Mothertrucker:

Usually with four over fours the take off gear is four low so the best thing is switch down and select fourth then get the switch up right away ready for the higher gears.

Not in our trucks - we set off in third and often skip fourth and go straight to fifth via range change switch.

Mothertrucker:

Smart Mart:
Not in our trucks - we set off in third and often skip fourth and go straight to fifth via range change switch.

Some are started in 2nd then 4th then 5th (or even 6th) - it all depends on the gearing

The examples above all refer to starting on level ground - different if on inclines

The best bit of advice I can give is take your time, think ahead of yourself, and don’t panic. It will come eventually. The truck I used for class 2 was also 4/4, we pulled away in 3rd as well. Judge your distance and speed, usually 20mph before changing into 5th, get off the clutch, look at the roundabout, if you think you have to stop, then ease off. You’ll then give yourself time to decide if it’s clear to go or not.

Keep your chin up, don’t get dis-heartened. We all make mistakes, ots how you react to them that is the key :slight_smile: