Advice needed and little training diary

hi all,
i am currently doing my lgv1 training in a W+D with test tomorrow,
A little diary for you all to date.
start bright and early monday morning and first out the gate is some reversing, now my main concern was reversing
after being shown what to do lining up the marks on the trailer and having a couple of goes at it i get it cracked, then we get onto the main side of it the road driving.
now to my mind i was doing ok but the instructor had to keep telling me to brake earlier than i really felt was neccesary, fair comment you might say considering i will potentially be pulling 44tonnes. so mondays teacher comment was “needs improving”.

Tuesday’s bright and cheerfull and thankfully not as cold as monday, More road driving, for the first part of the lesson my driving was nearly as bad as monday’s, we stopped for a ciggy and quick chat about the lesson so far and i’ll be honest his next comment made me laugh but also made me think about my driving. What were his words you might ask, Well i’ll tell you, he said “your driving this more like a ■■■■■■■ TRANSIT VAN than a W+D or even a ridged” :open_mouth: :confused: . So we sets off for the second half of the lesson and my driving improves no end, with him telling me maybe 5-6 times more to slow it down a bit sooner for my junctions/roundabouts. but it was still an improvement so all is getting there :slight_smile:

Wednesday dawns with a late start as he has tests on the morning, Straight out the gate and all afternoon he probably told me to slow it down 2-3 times. Whoopee thinks me i’m getting the hang of this pulling a trailer lark test here we come. All i need to do is keep up the good work :sunglasses: .

now we get to today
we did a bit more reversing which went great then back out onto the road. I drove for about 50 mins great no problems then for the last 10-15 mins of my morning drive it went completely pear shaped :blush: :blush:, my co trainee for the day took over the controls and had his drive which was a relief, then we went and did a couple more reverses/un-couples just to get them straight in our heads and i drove back to the yard, but it seems that the good drive that i had yesterday was my best and the instructor was again having to tell me to slow it down. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
we need to be there at 8 tomorrow as his test is at 9.45 and mine is at 11.30, and tbh i’m panicking at this stage over the driving where-as before i started it was the reversing that was my worry, any advice you great chaps and chappeses can give to me to help calm these nerves will be greatfully appreciated

thanks in advance
rob

Bloody hell, mate. I could have written that myself - I went through exactly the same thing for my class 2 test.

In the end I just decided that I would rather have 2 or 3 minors for not going quickly enough than a serious for being too quick. Slowed things down (everything) by 15-20% and passed. Four weeks later I did the class 1 with the same approach and it worked.

My guess is that you have been driving for a few years already and (like me) are a bit over-confident. Just remember to take it easy. Impress the examiner with your calm collected approach to everything. Let him go to sleep :slight_smile: and wake him up at the end of the test. Good luck.

Alan

Just wanted to say Good Luck for tomorrow mate!

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?x4mclj

Best of luck for tomorrow.

You have got all your booboos out of the way. Let’s see a great reverse / uncouple / drive and a pass in the bag :slight_smile:

thank you for the replies and good wishes folks they mean alot

Go and nail it, as said before slow it right down, GOOD LUCK :smiley: :smiley:

All the best for your test this morning just take it nice and calm as ifyou have all the time in the world to get to your destination (coz u have no timed deliveries to get to :exclamation: ) nail that reverse and uncouple and hold that pass cert in your hands around 1pm :smiley:

fingers crossed

Jen x

Best of luck mate hope all goes well.

Awaiting the news with interest fella!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Well you can prob guess that i passed with 4 minors
cant stop myself from bouncing round the house now :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

and my co-trainee Gary also passed with 9 minors

thank you once again folks, your words and comments were just what i needed to hear

rob

Excellent. And a great score too.

See we told you that you had it in you :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Congrats Rob, hope to be joining you myself next Thursday!

Ace, It’s a good feeling isn’t it? :smiley: :laughing: :smiley:

Well done, 4 minors is good going.

considering how my drive was going on yesterday, to get 4 minors (which i’ll admit i had to double check with him) is absolutely brilliant.
Scaniason good luck for thursday, and just remember take it slow and easy, no points for finishing first in this race :smiley:

Well done Rob, good score too !! :smiley:

Minors■■? You actually get points for running over kids? That sounds to good to be true…

DoYouMeanMe?:
Minors■■? You actually get points for running over kids? That sounds to good to be true…

if only :laughing:
does this mean i can call myself a “so-called professional driver” now and must i really think of the children :smiley:

YYYEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Well done with the test and welcome to the “holy crap I’m out on my own for the first time I need a new pair of undercrackers” club :grimacing:

You must always think of the children.

I prefer mine BBQ’ed with lots of chilli…

Well done to both of you. It’s all doom and gloom now. Most drivers do 0 - misery in 20 seconds…

loopyjuice:

DoYouMeanMe?:

if only :laughing:
does this mean i can call myself a “so-called professional driver” now and must i really think of the children :smiley:

As a former coach driver I personally try block all memories of groups of children out.

[shudder] noise, mess and vomit :open_mouth: :open_mouth: [shudder]