LGV training - new rules from 1st July 07 - WARNING

As from the 1st July 2007 LGVs taken for DSA test must conform to new rules and the main 2 which will affect you are that they must have 8 forward gear (usually a 4 over 4 range change gearbox) and they must have a box or curtainside body.
If you pass your test before this date, fine, but if you train on a flatbed & fail and your retest is after the 1st July you will need extra training (extra cost) on the new type of vehicle.

I’m with Scania who use box rigids and artics so i won’t know any diffrence.

Also the day we go smoke free.

These changes are all good.

I took my C+E in a DAF 50 flatbed plated at 11 ton coupled with a small flatbed trailer, the whole thing couldnt have been more than 12 m long and had a simple 6 speed box, the trailer didnt cut in on corners either. Its crazy that you can pass a test in something like that and then be allowed to drive an artic at 44ton the next day

Kinch:
These changes are all good.

I took my C+E in a DAF 50 flatbed plated at 11 ton coupled with a small flatbed trailer, the whole thing couldnt have been more than 12 m long and had a simple 6 speed box, the trailer didnt cut in on corners either. Its crazy that you can pass a test in something like that and then be allowed to drive an artic at 44ton the next day

Agree with you - this is one of the reasons why these changes have come about.

Why take so long to implement it though? The reason I looked for a company that trained in full size rigids with a rangechange gearbox was so that I wouldn’t be bricking it going into a job where I might have to drive one, or possibly end up hitting something with it. Same goes for Artic, although it might well be a lot easier to pass in a flatbed with a 6speed box I’d pap myself when I came to driving an artic with a full size trailer for a company if i’d never driven anything remotely like it before.

Why take so long to implement it though?

It’s a Government department :exclamation: