LGV driving test - has it got harder over the years?

Wondering if the LGV test standards have gotten harder as time has gone by.

Know that there have been a number of changes recently - 8 gears, box vans required and now a minimum length (8 metres I think for C, 12 for C+E).

Has all this made a difference to pass rates? And how have other changes over the last 15-20 years affected pass rates?

Are the assessment standards also higher on the tests?

the 8 gear range change gearbox is causing probs as it cannot be practiced elsewhere.
As for the other changes etc, then Mothertrucker may be able to give a better insight than me.

ROG:
the 8 gear range change gearbox is causing probs as it cannot be practiced elsewhere.
As for the other changes etc, then Mothertrucker may be able to give a better insight than me.

There is definitely something wrong if examiners are suddenly turning into zealots about gear changing. Surely some allowances could be made for the difficulty in the use of this type of gearbox?

Would it not be easier to use vehicles fitted with a splitter or two speed axle instead of the range change?

Yes, the splitter is allowed as well. In the truck I took my test in it made no conceivable difference. My first two tests were before the rule change, and my third and final test were just after.

My examiner was a semi-retired guy who was extremely strict on minors, but was extremely friendly and put me at ease in the cab. He asked me about the gearbox setup on the vehicle and I explained to him that it had 6 gears with a splitter and really we tried the splitter out and it made no difference. (I didn’t mention that the first time I had driven the vehicle was on the warm up lesson before test :wink:)

My instructor had been told that if the gearbox had a splitter we weren’t expected to use it. :confused: Tbh makes a bit of a mockery IMO. Range change is a different kettle of fish. I paid for an extra days training in the artic that my driving school has after passing my test and there were quite a few times when I struggled to find a gear. Got better in the end though, range change forces you to think ahead further when approaching hazards.

SuperLez:

ROG:

There is definitely something wrong if examiners are suddenly turning into zealots about gear changing. Surely some allowances could be made for the difficulty in the use of this type of gearbox?

Would it not be easier to use vehicles fitted with a splitter or two speed axle instead of the range change?

There are straight 6 speed gearboxes with splitters (making 12 gears) being used for test and due to the lorry being empty, only the straight 6 is used - the gear exercise uses only gears 1 to 4 and not the split.
The range change box causes probs for trainees but it is the knock-on effect of sorting it out that presents more of a prob as they concentrate so much on sorting it that the steering and observations go awry. So although it was selecting the wrong range or gear that started the prob, they usually got marked down for perhaps, undue hesitation, steering, observation, progress etc…

There are straight 6 speed gearboxes with splitters (making 12 gears) being used for test and due to the lorry being empty, only the straight 6 is used - the gear exercise uses only gears 1 to 4 and not the split.

:question: :question: :question: :question:

Surely in that case the first 4 gears would be 1L, 1H, 2L, 2H…?

Lucy:

:question: :question: :question: :question:

Surely in that case the first 4 gears would be 1L, 1H, 2L, 2H…?

The LGV gear exercise required by the examiner is 1H 2H 3H 4H as the lorry is empty

Wow. Why the hell isn’t everyone doing that then?

Both my class 2 and class 1 tests the examiner required I used gears 1,2,3,4 and high range 5th. Then back down to 4,3,2 and 1. :slight_smile:

Lucy:
Wow. Why the hell isn’t everyone doing that then?

Not got the lorries - easier to get range change - others are too modern

Big Nige:
Both my class 2 and class 1 tests the examiner required I used gears 1,2,3,4 and high range 5th. Then back down to 4,3,2 and 1. :slight_smile:

Normal for range change 4 over 4 box

talking to my uncle only to-day,and 20 years ago he took his test in a eaton twin splitter,with a pay-load of around ten tons! theres no-way the test to-day is as hard as it used to be,granted theres more traffic on the road its the real reason that a lot of companies are reluctant to take on newbies.Talking as an ex agency driver,i think the new gear rules are a great idea,because theres plenty of 18 and 26 tonners fitted with these splitter boxes,so new drivers need to feel confident when they end up driving one.I also think the pay-load factor should be applied,because lets be honest,driving a empty truck and a loaded truck are completley different.Oh i was lucky as i passed only couple of years ago PHEW!!! :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: