Passing in a straight 6 box

So I had an interesting discussion the other day whilst on assessment with a driver trainer. i stepped into the MAN which had a 4 over 4 box which i had never driven before but worked things out ok. after reversing out of the yard, i was asked how long itd been since i passed my test to which i told him 3 weeks and it was in a straight 6 box.

i was told that i “shouldnt have been able to pass in a straight 6” as it was his belief that i could only pass in an auto or 4 over 4 box. naturally, this made the rest of the drive a bit tense, especially driving an unfamiliar gearbox and only being my 7th day ever behind the wheel.

just wondered if anyone else had come across this situation? obviously i can pass in a straight 6 or the examiner wouldnt have let me!

Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than me will come along shortly but…

I always thought that the vehicle had to have 8 forward gears. 6 gears was “back in the day” .

the 8 forward gears rule was revoked some time ago and now the LGV test can be passed in an auto or any manual
as long as the driver has manual car they will then get manual LGV no matter what the gearbox is in the LGV

Shame the same isn’t true for the B+E…

qwakers:
Shame the same isn’t true for the B+E…

It will be sometime in the future when the UK legislators get around to changing the law
NI is different - pass car manual and BE auto = get BE manual

Sure no doubt it will come in 5 mins after I pass my b+e just like it did right after my c test… :smiley:

As above, I thought the “8 forward gears” thing went out when the auto rules were relaxed.

qwakers:
Sure no doubt it will come in 5 mins after I pass my b+e just like it did right after my c test… :smiley:

Do C+E and get B+E free for life

i would love to it would make much more sense. i just dont have the readies, or the time.

qwakers:
i would love to it would make much more sense. i just dont have the readies, or the time.

What are the price and time differences :question:

about£500 and 2 days

qwakers:
about£500 and 2 days

Gotta be worth getting a loan or using a credit card to make up the difference for what you can gain from it :bulb: :question: