I need advice from you newbies

Morning everyone

Can I ask your opinion please?

There are some changes regarding how the LGV driving test is conducted in the near future. The one I’m wanting your opinion on is coming into effect on 31st December 2013.

From that date any driver who has passed their car licence in a manual gearbox can take a vocational test ie: heavy goods in an Automatic, once passed they will have an unrestricted licence to drive either Auto or Manual.

The reason the DSA are doing it is to keep up with industry, the DSA are saying that there are more Automatics being used by employers and it will also be harder for trainers to find Manuals to train with.

I am opening a training school next year and would like your input to the following questions, if you want to elaborate then free free but just a yes or no will do. Thanks

1. Would you prefer to train in Automatic?

2. Would you be prepared to pay a reasonable amount more for using a new vehicle as opposed to something 10 years old?

3. Would you prefer an Approved Driving Instructor?

4. Would you prefer a DSA LGV Instructor?

Also, is there anything you would say to the person who trained you about the way or manner in which you were trained?
Good or bad points included.

Thanks, hopefully I can get enough feedback to be getting on with :smiley:

fleettraineruk:
Morning everyone

There are some changes regarding how the LGV driving test is conducted in the near future. The one I’m wanting your opinion on is coming into effect on 31st December 2013.

From that date any driver who has passed their car licence in a manual gearbox can take a vocational test ie: heavy goods in an Automatic, once passed they will have an unrestricted licence to drive either Auto or Manual.

The reason the DSA are doing it is to keep up with industry, the DSA are saying that there are more Automatics being used by employers and it will also be harder for trainers to find Manuals to train with.

I am opening a training school next year and would like your input to the following questions, if you want to elaborate then free free but just a yes or no will do. Thanks

1. Would you prefer to train in Automatic? I trained in a manual have driven both this year

2. Would you be prepared to pay a reasonable amount more for using a new vehicle as opposed to something 10 years old? As long as it is well maintained & capable of doing the job it is intended for then not a problem again I have driven anything form a 03 upto a 13

3. Would you prefer an Approved Driving Instructor? Is there such a thing :question:

4. Would you prefer a DSA LGV Instructor? As I understand this it is voluntary

Also, is there anything you would say to the person who trained you about the way or manner in which you were trained?
Good or bad points included.

Alway be polite have some respect ( although I believe you have to earn that ) fins out how best to train that individual as not all trainees respond to the same way

Some times think of other way to explain things ie reverse when you explain that it does not always work the same way everyone

If I think of anything else will post it or pm you

I have just literally passed my cat c and c+e and CPC over the past 7 weeks all with the same trainer.

1. I think for ease of passing the test an auto would be easier. And as there are so many different manual gear boxes out there I don’t think it will make any difference out in the real world.

2. To be honest as animal said all that matters is the vehicle is well maintained and looked after. The one I leant in was 6 years old and was more than fine. So no I wouldn’t want to pay more just to learn in a new vehicle. Getting costs down is a big thing for most people.

3 & 4. Neither make any difference to me. I went for an hour assessment drive which was free. This gave me a chance to see what the instructor was like.

I’m surprised this hasn’t morphed into the artic v w+d debate - - - again!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I think a candidate would feel that an auto would be easier but analysis of the last 4 years of test results shows that only 1 person failed with us on gears although the DL25 can be interpreted in different ways. ie it might show a serious for cutting corners or steering but the underlying reason may have been an incorrect gear choice.

Vehicle age can be important to a point although good maintainence can prolong the life of training vehicles. I think this will become more evident once the trucks are loaded in a couple of weeks time.

DSA registration is certainly an indication of trainer ability as it is not the easiest process to get through but experience is probably a better indicator. As has already been said an assessment drive is the best option.

What candidates really want is

1. Value for money
  2. To pass or at least wake up on test day feeling ready
  3. a trainer he feels comfortable with and who cares about the test outcome

Good luck with the new venture. Generally other trainers will help if they can.

Hi. I cant advise on the auto/manual thing as I still haven’t got all the information from Iveco that I need before making a decision.

But, as LGV Trainer has said, you will find that some trainers will be happy to help. It depends on your attitude. I’ve helped, even mentored, trainers to set up on their own. On the other hand, two “trainers” have set up not far from me and made it very clear they were going to show me how to do the job properly. One lasted just under a year and the other one barely got going before he gave it up as a bad job!

So it may be a good idea to introduce yourself to trainers local to you and work WITH them rather than against.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome Pete, I see what your saying re the other companies. I’ll go see the others nearer to the time, it’s a way off yet but that’s good advice. And thanks everyone for giving me some feedback…Very helpful

I’m due to start training this month & personally I think it makes sense to have a crack at a manual just so that if you are ever faced with a manual it won’t necessarily be foreign & you may have a little understanding of them!!

JamesJ:
I’m due to start training this month & personally I think it makes sense to have a crack at a manual just so that if you are ever faced with a manual it won’t necessarily be foreign & you may have a little understanding of them!!

If you have a car manual then you already know how a manual works

On your training you will only train with one type of gearbox and there are loads of different out there so learning one that is different from your car one only knocks one of the many possibilities from the list

You are right ROG there are lots of different manual gearboxes. However you can’t compare any type of car box to a range change or even splitter that all trainers must currently use.

It’s not only the actual gearbox configuration it’s the principle of using the brakes in conjunction with speed and correct gear choice. 90% of trainers will still be using manuals this time next year.

Trainers that use artics and not W+D will have to change all the trucks if they change any. And don’t forget the cost everyone has just incurred securing the IBCs into the trucks.

Is there really a MAJOR advantage to either trainer or trainee to change to auto gearboxes? Do you imagine courses will be shorter / cheaper or the pass rate higher.

As many of us passed our tests back in the day with a straight six then went on to learn other types I cannot see it being an issue unless we are saying that todays learners are well below the capability of what we did ?

[/quote]

On your training you will only train with one type of gearbox and there are loads of different out there so learning one that is different from your car one only knocks one of the many possibilities from the list
[/quote]
I had an assesment in a rigid Thursday & the gearbox was 4 high & 4 low & I may have been driving a car for 11 years but personally I found it completely Chinese compared to the first time I drove a car…

In a perfect world, the employers’ inductions would be thorough enough to cover the use of varying gearboxes. In the real world, it doesn’t happen as often as it should. Valid points are being made by contributors on here. It’s very unusual for me not to have a strong opinion on a subject - but this time I’m really torn!

Anyway, important not to derail the thread.

Hello everyone,

I had the same concerns about a new driver being given a manual on his first job after training with me, the only way I can ensure a good all round training experience is to provide training (Half day free) in the manual unit AFTER passing the test. So the debate about which is better or easier can be quashed. I’m just needing our new blood to offer their opinions in an attempt at a market research study. Please please please try not to get away from that.

Nice 1 :smiley:

provide training (Half day free) in the manual unit AFTER passing the test. So the debate about which is better or easier can be quashed

That’s admirable but IME it wont work. I offered training - FOC - on a full size fully loaded artic following a w+d test pass. Most never made an appointment to come, many of those that made appointments failed to turn up. The handful that came and did it had a fantastic experience.

It beggars belief - but I’m telling you that’s precisely what happened.

Interesting…scratches chin :smiley:

HI I’m a newbie still waiting on my Digi card… IMO i think its a bad idea, everybody should learn in a manual it sorts drivers from wheel attendants, if you fluff your gear changes more than a couple of times on your test you will fail, do it in the real word and it could have serious consequences, so giving them a manual is wrong wrong wrong… On the cost thing i feel costings are a huge factor in choosing a training provider and cheap is always very tempting in today’s economy…and as far as instructors are concerned as long as they are good at there job I’m easy, as long as they are teaching me and not spending the hole time chatting about un-associated topics then its all good… hope this is of help…only passed on the 25 of last month so looking forward too a new career :smiley:

fleettraineruk:
Morning everyone

1. Would you prefer to train in Automatic? no but would’ve loved to pay for a little training session in one to help with conversion to auto

2. Would you be prepared to pay a reasonable amount more for using a new vehicle as opposed to something 10 years old? Yes but not much more it costs a small fortune

3. Would you prefer an Approved Driving Instructor ?either

4. Would you prefer a DSA LGV Instructor? as above
    you about the way or manner in which you were trained?
    Good or bad points included. Don’t put people down they are here to learn and paying you for it, be straight and to the point and praise em when they get it right.This is why I failed 1st time round. I found another driving school (PB training in Bristol) fantastic instructors. Hard when necessary and praise only when needed. Just the ticket.

ROG:

JamesJ:

I wouldnt say thats to rog imo.i manual car is a straight 5 or 6 speend gear box.a manual hgv could be a split with or without half gears,slap over or a semi auto.now i know there not overly difficult after a wee shot but turning up for a agencey shift with a auto pass to be given a manual may not turn out well but anyone should be able to cope wae a auto

nearly there:

ROG:

JamesJ:

I wouldnt say thats to rog imo.i manual car is a straight 5 or 6 speend gear box.a manual hgv could be a split with or without half gears,slap over or a semi auto.now i know there not overly difficult after a wee shot but turning up for a agencey shift with a auto pass to be given a manual may not turn out well but anyone should be able to cope wae a auto

Thousands of us did theirs in a straight 5 or 6 then coped with what else was out there so unless we are saying that todays drivers are less capable than we were …