LGV training centres in Scotland (Edinburgh area)

Hi folks,

Just joined here, hope everyone is well !

I am thinking of gaining my LGV licence (both class 1 and 2). Does anyone know of any training companies round about the Edinburgh or Central Belt area that does LGV training ? I tried a search on the internet but didn’t turn up much for this area.

Also, is it best to do that Class 2 then try and find some work driving them for a while before going on to do the Class 1 or is it best to do them one after the other ?

How easy would it be to get weekend work to start with ? I currently work in IT and am relatively well paid and I wouldn’t like to leave that job permanently until I can find myself another permanent job driving, which, from reading other posts on these boards can be hard to come by for newly qualified drivers. I know it would be minimum wage type of thing, but can you sign on at agencies for weekend work only to begin with ?

Thanks guys, and apologies for all these questions ! :slight_smile:

• J.

stay in IT mate…i work in IT as a mainframe analyst working 4days on 4 days off & drive trucks on my 4 days off…you will have to start at the bottom of the pile once you pass your LGV & do all the crappy jobs to get experiance, the good payed jobs are taken & you will have to fill dead mans boots to get them.

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, well, I intend on staying in IT for the forseeable future but could just do with a bit of a career change if you know what I mean. I understand that I’ll get all the crappy jobs to begin with, and be at the bottom of the ladder pay-wise but every job is like that to begin with (at least every one that I’ve had!). Just figured that I could work weekends to gain experience firstly before really deciding if that’s what I want to do for a living. Always wanted to drive a truck since I was a little boy so figured nows the time !

In addition to my questions above, if anyone can recommend a doctors to have a medical done it would be appreciated. Called my doctors surgery today and was told “It doesn’t take long, maybe 20 minutes” but it was £100 which I thought was a bit steep!

Cheers

• J.

jamis:
In addition to my questions above, if anyone can recommend a doctors to have a medical done it would be appreciated. Called my doctors surgery today and was told “It doesn’t take long, maybe 20 minutes” but it was £100 which I thought was a bit steep!

Have a look in the ‘Useful links’ section on this site, there have been a few mentioned which quote around £40.

Re the training; if you do decide to do it, I’d recommend doing the class 1 straight after the class 2.

You might want to look at Alex McAra, Inveralmond Industrial Estate, Perth. It is just off the motorway and very easy to get to. He Very good rates, excellent tuition and a good pass rate. His web site is

www.hgv-psvtraining.co.uk

Jamis,here is the link for cheap medicals.
driversmedicals.com/
Also,for training try:
lagta.co.uk

Thanks folks. I had looked at the ‘drivers medicals’ in the Useful Links thread on here but unfortunately, the closest one to me is in Glasgow and that’s a fair distance from me ! Anyone know of any in the Edinburgh area ? Suppose I could phone around some surgeries and find out.

I’m not too sure about Lagta - was talking to one of the drivers that makes paper delivery to our print room and he didn’t have a good word to say about them !

Thanks for the suggestions though folks, much appreciated.