LGV Training/Employment Scotland

Hi all,

OK first some context. I’m 43 , based in Lanarkshire area and giving some serious thought as regards obtaining LGV licence “ultimately C+E” .The largest vehicle I have driven is Ford transit, so definitely starting from scratch. I’m currently employed in the drinks industry , not driving, and hate it.

So, I was wondering if anyone based around me/or anyone who has any knowledge ,knows of any reputable training providers; only one I’m familiar with is Ritchies and all I have found on them is what’s on their website. Was also wondering if anyone in similar position to myself and completed training/test found employment afterwards.

Thanks for any replies before I part with ££££ needlessly!

Cheers
Pete

I havent used any yet mate as still waiting on Medical but here are 3 i know of. ( I know because i signed up to this forum, asked same question and was kindly told required info )

Apart from Ritchies you have GTG based in Glasgow but dont seem to give a set price ( Their training could possibly last longer than 5 days and cost more ) where Ritchies do give a set price

Highfield Heavies in Dalry are cheapest with research i have done ( save £200 ish ) but they only do class C Rigid not c+e as far as i am aware. ( I could be wrong regarding that so best checking website yourself )

only one I’m familiar with is Ritchies

Excellent trainer - one of the few on the list of DVSA Accredited Training Centres. We are also on the list. dft.gov.uk/fyn/lgv.php

But there is an alarming amount of very poor training out there. Tatty old trucks with unqualified and untrained instructors. In a car, an instructor has to be qualified. In a truck, the guy only has to have held a licence for 3 years and then he can call himself a driving school. And they do.

Avoid brokers at all costs - they will take your money and deliver as little as possible. They always say they have 30+ training centres around the country. No genuine trainer has so they’re easy to spot.

We offer residential training at NO additional cost. We have a new, purpose built training centre. All our trainers are registered with DSVA (the folks that conduct your driving test) and we have a fleet of trucks built for training to make your life as easy as possible.

If you call our office and give your Trucknet user name, you will receive 10% off everything we do and driver cpc completely free when you book and pay for your driving course. So you save IRO £400 - 500. To be clear, a full CAT C or CE course costs you just £1215. This includes 1:1 training, test fee, use of vehicle for test, VAT, accommodation for the duration of the practical course (if you’re more than 70 miles away) and FREE DRIVER CPC. To book, you will need £150 deposit; the balance of the fees are due 10 days before the start of the course.

This offer will be withdrawn at the end of February. But pay your £150 deposit before then and you can choose when you want to train during 2016 and you will get all the benefits up to the end of 2016.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for replies guys,

@petersmythe
I have read a good few of your posts since I signed up to the forum, and from others who have no problems recommending you to newbies like myself. However I would have problems with residential training due to other commitments, but I really appreciate you taking the time out to reply and will keep you in mind if my circumstances change, cheers :smiley:

@tommy, thanks for the info m8, going to do a bit of research tonight and compare all the prices, just a bit of a nitemare going through all the “if I do this first, then that, then this, or,” as I’m sure you’ve done yourself. I haven’t even had medical yet as I’m still trying to feel my way around the idea of parting with ££££ when I know very little of the industry apart from what I’ve read on this forum, and like all walks of life opinions vary to say the least, although consensus seems to be if your prepared to bide your time and aren’t too fussy about initial employment you should fare OK

Do you mind if I ask what your plans are yourself as far as what your looking to get into m8 ?

Peter smythe offer is good,if u cannot travel Ritchie’s is the way to go,top outfit

@wee Gordy
Cheers for reply, yeah think Ritchies might be my best bet.
Does anybody know what the chances are of getting weekend work driving rigid first before going for c+e , as I would need to keep my current job until I found something more secure ?

Sorry if this has been covered before , just trying to gleam as much info as possible.

Few tipper companies in south Lanarkshire ie yuill and dodds and tipper company in ek green wagons forget name brains gone lol

Got it enviroclean in college Milton

pete1972:
Thanks for replies guys,

@petersmythe
I have read a good few of your posts since I signed up to the forum, and from others who have no problems recommending you to newbies like myself. However I would have problems with residential training due to other commitments, but I really appreciate you taking the time out to reply and will keep you in mind if my circumstances change, cheers :smiley:

@tommy, thanks for the info m8, going to do a bit of research tonight and compare all the prices, just a bit of a nitemare going through all the “if I do this first, then that, then this, or,” as I’m sure you’ve done yourself. I haven’t even had medical yet as I’m still trying to feel my way around the idea of parting with ££££ when I know very little of the industry apart from what I’ve read on this forum, and like all walks of life opinions vary to say the least, although consensus seems to be if your prepared to bide your time and aren’t too fussy about initial employment you should fare OK

Do you mind if I ask what your plans are yourself as far as what your looking to get into m8 ?
[/quote]

Would do pretty much anything tbh. Only thing i would not sign up for is multi drops ( for example 80/120 drops a day ) like some couriers that drive merc sprinters etc i know do. Not for me ( whether class 2 drivers do that many drops i dont know to be fair but if they do certainly be avoiding it ). Once i get my licence just gonna roll the dice, hope for some luck and see what happens

Thanks again for replies guys,

Think we are all more or less in the same boat, hence the newbies section :smiley:
Guess I need get medical done , pass tests and let fate play its fickle hand.

All the best

Pete

I’ve been trucking 30 +hrs retire in 6yrs lol

hi pete,

ive been discussing this very thing with tommy as he is at the same stage as you and im 6 months ahead of you both. i trained with ritchies and know the course you are referring to as i booked it! just got ADR left to do but if you preferred that couldve been cat D (bus). great bunch of trainers and if i was do it from the start again id want the same trainers at the same place. good thing about ritchies too is that you dont need to worry about silly things like driving on a different reversing area on test day - your test starts and finishes at their yard.

like you, the biggest i had driven wasnt big! was a luton van. the first 2 days for me on c training was getting over size and width. the first day for me on c+e training was - “oh, it bends in the middle”. i found c+e easier than c, but probably because ive been driving 26t rigids since passing c.

as for employment, im doing agency work just now. hoping to start getting c+e shifts next week as i only passed on 8/1/16 and got my photocard back last week. there are agencies that will take you without experience - the one im with i do store deliveries for a cash and carry - anything from 4-9 shops per day with a lot of handball but you need to start somewhere.

if theres anything else you want to know or ask, just reply here or pm me - given that its all fresh in my mind and geographically similar, i can probably give you some pointers.

Thanks elniniol999

I’m sure I will be bending your ear very soon. The only thing stopping me from going for it right now is we are in the middle of moving house, so applying for another mortgage etc, :open_mouth:

Hopefully be sorted in next few weeks, but finding out as much information in meantime can’t do any harm.

Good to see your getting your chance, whether agency or whatever it’s a start in the industry and gives me confidence that it’s not an expensive pipe dream, and hopefully if I persevere I will eventually get there.

Thanks again for reply, really appreciate anyone taking time out to reply to questions I know have been asked repeatedly and believe me I have many more but the missus is due to be picked up in10 mins and I’m the taxi ,
Only driving job I’m qualified for at the moment :smiley:

Thanks again
Pete

@wee Gordy

That’s the kind of job I’m after, work 30 hrs then retire in 6 years ! Lol.
Sorry m8, I was referring to Tommy in my reply

Wish I was retiring in 6 years, this working nonsense is beginning to get on my nerves and I’ve another 25 to go :open_mouth: