Leaving a compressor fridge plugged in overnight

I’ve just bought a Waeco compressor fridge to use in the truck and was wondering if they’re ok to leave on overnight and not wake up in the morning looking like a clown with flat batteries :laughing:

I’d prefer to keep it on overnight if I can as I will be keeping meat etc. in it. They seem to draw less current than the fan powered coolboxes and also have a low voltage cut-out built in but I don’t know if it’ll cut out before the batteries reach the minimum cranking voltage required for the truck.

Should be okay to leave on all night. They draw very little current and they aren’t running constantly in the way a cool box does. The ones I had in the past I used to leave on overnight and over the weekend without any problem.

i had a compressor fridge in my last job, i plugged it in when i started work on Monday morning, and it stayed plugged in until i went home Friday/Saturday. Never once had a problem with batteries in the 53 weeks i had the job. Sleep easy mate!

I left mine on over xmas once and it was still on when i went back in the new year! If you have good batteries then no worries.

Thanks for that, you’ve allayed my fears a bit :sunglasses:

But…

You do know I’ll be blaming you boys if I wake up on Monday with flat batteries :laughing:

I’ve had it plugged in in the house this afternoon and it’s as quiet as a mouse and nice and cold, it’ll be worth every penny if it stays that way :smiley:

Andy Rich:

But…

You do know I’ll be blaming you boys if I wake up on Monday with flat batteries :laughing:

That will be a good thing and we will have done you a favour so you should still be thanking us.

It will mean your batteries are crap and with this knowledge you can then get them changed before the winter weather arrives. It’s win, win. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I plugged mine in in April and apart from 6 weekly inspections it ran constantly until the next MOT :bulb:

Coffeeholic:

Andy Rich:

But…

That will be a good thing and we will have done you a favour so you should still be thanking us.

It will mean your batteries are crap and with this knowledge you can then get them changed before the winter weather arrives. It’s win, win. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

There is that I suppose! My old coolbox identified that the batteries on my old truck were crap within an hour of turning the engine off :blush:

Andy Rich:

Coffeeholic:

Andy Rich:

But…

There is that I suppose! My old coolbox identified that the batteries on my old truck were crap within an hour of turning the engine off :blush:

Coolboxes are certainly not Compressors

Andy Rich:

But…

I’ve had it plugged in in the house this afternoon and it’s as quiet as a mouse and nice and cold, it’ll be worth every penny if it stays that way :smiley:

Is yours 240 volts as well as 12/24 volts? I didn’t think you could get compressor fridges like that, it isn’t an evaporator fridge is it?

jimti:

Andy Rich:

But…

Is yours 240 volts as well as 12/24 volts? I didn’t think you could get compressor fridges like that, it isn’t an evaporator fridge is it?

You can get compressor models that you can run on mains voltage but they tend not to plug directly into the wall socket, they go through a power brick like a laptop.

Waeco’s tend to have a battery protector, and cut out leaving enough battery for a cold start. I was parked up for 16 hours one day/night a couple of weeks ago, and had the telly on for several hours, laptop, nightheater etc. In the morning when I was making my coffee I noticed the milk was only lukewarm :open_mouth: checked the fridge and then the penny dropped :exclamation: I nervously turned the key to start up, and the engine just about rumbled into life, phew, a very close one :sunglasses: :grimacing:

jimti:

Andy Rich:

But…

i once had a Waeco (or Hella,dont remember now) big square green thing, absolutley brilliant. Got it from a German autohof. It ran on gas, 24volt or household electric, that was a compressor frigo.

Andy Rich:
I’ve just bought a Waeco compressor fridge to use in the truck and was wondering if they’re ok to leave on overnight and not wake up in the morning looking like a clown with flat batteries :laughing:

I’d prefer to keep it on overnight if I can as I will be keeping meat etc. in it. They seem to draw less current than the fan powered coolboxes and also have a low voltage cut-out built in but I don’t know if it’ll cut out before the batteries reach the minimum cranking voltage required for the truck.

they cut out before the battery gets to low :grimacing:

Coffeeholic:

jimti:

Andy Rich:

But…

You can get compressor models that you can run on mains voltage but they tend not to plug directly into the wall socket, they go through a power brick like a laptop.

I use a Waeco CF35, runs on 240v mains & 12/24 dc.
The models down from this only run on 12/24v so need a power supply to work on 240v at home.
Cant fault mine, gets plugged in on a Monday morning & taken out on a Friday, I’ve also left it in over the weekend plenty of times & had no problems on a Monday morning.

£479 quid■■?

I’ll stick to my Nescafe 3 in 1’s…

Cheap there not I’ll give you that, but they are IMO the best. There is a bloke on eBlag who is doing them a bit cheaper, but not that much.
I had a CF18 before this one, I paid £250 for it when I got it, I sold it for the same after having had it for 18 months.
So they do hold their value very well.

Rollo Tomasi:
Cheap there not I’ll give you that, but they are IMO the best. There is a bloke on eBlag who is doing them a bit cheaper, but not that much.
I had a CF18 before this one, I paid £250 for it when I got it, I sold it for the same after having had it for 18 months.
So they do hold their value very well.

And they will pay for themselves many times over with the money saved by not buying stuff from services and so on.

I’ve had a Waeco RHD 50 that fits in the side locker of an FH for over 12 years,it’s been in every FH I’ve had since then,and it is brilliant.
It always used to cut out before the batteries got too low,but that didn’t happen very often.
Yes,compressor fridges are expensive,but they will last for years unlike those absortion or peltier element ones which you will more than likely have to replace every year or so.

The Waeco has been sitting in my garage since I got an Actros,but I still use it every time I go to the UK with the car,to keep frozen food in from Tesco.

I have a drawer fridge in the Actros which is only half the size,25l!

I’ve got the cf25 which in my last truck I used as a freezer because it already had a fridge and a microwave and I could get 15 of those Chinese containers in. So I would get the wife to cook me 15 thai meals add 15 uncle bens micro rice. Then I’ve got 2 weeks of healthy meals. Saved me a fortune by not having to pay 12 euros a day for a menu.

Pays for itself easy. Saved 180 euros every 2 weeks so after a month it had paid for itself