L.R.U.C -International hauliers

I have read quite a bit about the L.R.U.C & understand that it will be (supposedly) tax neutral for UK operators by reclaiming fuel duty at the end of the year.

My question is how do international hauliers reclaim the tax if they fuel up abroad?

The idea behind it is that everybody pays to use our road system but are international operators going to have to pay twice :open_mouth: :unamused:

And why-o-why did they not just make everybody coming into the country buy a tax disc with their ferry/train ticket to put in the windscreen?

Nobody can get in the country without buying a crossing ticket because we are an island therefore nobody would be able to avoid it

nsh…wot does this stand for

L.R.U.C

:wink:

Lorry Road-User Charge

It’s what was originally gonna be called the Brit Disc

Basically it’s road tax for the foreigners

â– â– â– â–  Denby wrote an article in CM about this, he said that although companies buying fuel abroad would pay more or be able to claim back less, it was a fairer system.

I agree with there being a charge made for foreign operators, it would be very simple to collect, with a portacabin at each port, lets say a tenner a day, it might go to improve some of the roads, or at least pay for some proper policemen in cars.

If President Blair is kicked out in May, this could happen

Wheel Nut:
â– â– â– â–  Denby wrote an article in CM about this, he said that although companies buying fuel abroad would pay more or be able to claim back less, it was a fairer system.

Surely it cant be fair for out int hauliers to pay twice , They have a hard enough time trying to compete as it is :open_mouth:

north surrey haulage:
My question is how do international hauliers reclaim the tax if they fuel up abroad?

surely if they fuel up abroad they will have avoided the tax anyway - I’m sure that was the idea of crossing the channel :wink:

It just means there will be no advantage to SE hauliers doing fuel runs :laughing: :laughing:

Denis F:

north surrey haulage:

surely if they fuel up abroad they will have avoided the tax anyway - I’m sure that was the idea of crossing the channel :wink:

It just means there will be no advantage to SE hauliers doing fuel runs :laughing: :laughing:

How will they avoid the tax â– â– ?:shock:

You have the wrong end of the stick because you know I go on the fuel runs.:wink:
It is a seperate road tax that the government has brought in to charge the foreigners for using our roads.
The reason fuel tax was mentioned is because under EU law the government cannot introduce a new tax unless it applies to all road users. :unamused:

So they have to charge UK hauliers as well ,Now there would be uproar (maybe :unamused:) if we had to pay road tax twice so the goverment’s idea to make it tax neutral for UK hauliers is to give a rebate at the end of the year on fuel duty on the fuel purchased in this country

So as I said in my original post will the international hauliers have to pay for their road tax twice ie
once through the DVLA local office &
once through the L.R.U.C

wIth the east europeans taking so much work now I think this will kill off the UK international work all together if they cant claim the L.R.U.C back .
All that will be left will be removals/own account & race horses (evening maam :wink: )

north surrey haulage:
So as I said in my original post will the international hauliers have to pay for their road tax twice ie
once through the DVLA local office &
once through the L.R.U.C

I’ll have to go and re-read the details , but as I read it the LRUC is going to be a satelite thingy like the new german system. So international hauliers won’t pay it when they are out of the country :wink: I also thought it was going to replace more than the tax disc - replacing some of the fuel duty as well ( which international operators don’ t pay) So if they don’t pay the lruc in this country they can’t expect a refund of fuel duty which they haven’t paid anyway :laughing: :laughing:

Denis F:
, but as I read it the LRUC is going to be a satelite thingy like the new german system. So international hauliers won’t pay it when they are out of the country :wink:

I understand that part but when they are in the UK it will still mean they are paying twice or will the government refund the portion of their Road Fund Licence they are not using whilst out of the country? As it is based on satellite technology then they will have irrefutable evidence of this :laughing: :laughing:

Denis F:
I also thought it was going to replace more than the tax disc - replacing some of the fuel duty as well ( which international operators don’ t pay) So if they don’t pay the lruc in this country they can’t expect a refund of fuel duty which they haven’t paid anyway :laughing: :laughing:

It dosn’t replace any fuel duty it is just the only way (as far as I’m aware) to reclaim the L.R.U.C to make" tax neutral" :laughing:

The web site is here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_freight/documents/page/dft_freight_503872.hcsp

north surrey haulage:
will the government refund the portion of their Road Fund Licence they are not using whilst out of the country?

I don’t expect they get a discount for being out of the country at the moment either :confused: :confused: :wink:

going to read the link to the DfT now :wink:

I’m still none the wiser

Are they going to have to pay twice or not?

Denis F:

north surrey haulage:
will the government refund the portion of their Road Fund Licence they are not using whilst out of the country?

I don’t expect they get a discount for being out of the country at the moment either :confused: :confused: :wink:

going to read the link to the DfT now :wink:

Yes but they are not paying two lots of road tax at the moment either are they :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing:

According to some boffin that writes in the commercial motor the electronic/ satalite LRUC system will cost as much to administer as the revenue it will raise. Jobs for civil servants etc, his simple plan is to ensure that all trucks leaving the U.K. should have full tanks, anyone found with a less than nearly full tank should be made to fill up at Customs&Excise prices :open_mouth: :laughing:
Whats more scary is that he has approached the F.T.A. with his opinions for there consultation period, and they told him it was to late to be considered :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , whose trouser cleavage are they cosying up to :smiling_imp:

his simple plan is to ensure that all trucks leaving the U.K. should have full tanks, anyone found with a less than nearly full tank should be made to fill up at Customs&Excise prices

hahahahahahahahahahaha :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Ive never laughed so much since my Granny fell in the fire :smiley:

Somehow, I cannot see that happening.

Im not laughing at you, I am laughing with you

Wheel Nut:

his simple plan is to ensure that all trucks leaving the U.K. should have full tanks, anyone found with a less than nearly full tank should be made to fill up at Customs&Excise prices

hahahahahahahahahahaha :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Ive never laughed so much since my Granny fell in the fire :smiley:

Somehow, I cannot see that happening.

Im not laughing at you, I am laughing with you

Why not, Malc??

when they say tax neutral they don’t mean road tax.
everyone will still pay road tax.
what they mean is that operators will be able to claim a certain amount of tax back on fuel purchased in the uk against the mileage travelled and paid for on the lruc.
i foresee this being a major headache and stumbling block.
a better way would be to introduce a third diesel fuel for trucks only.
just as we have rebated red diesel which i think carries a tax revenue of around 20% of the price perhaps a green or blue diesel could be used for the transport industry, all vehicles that are required to pay (whether they pay or not) should be able to refuel their vehicles with this third type fuel.
figures would need to calculated to determine an average fuel usage based upon the charge per mile etc (this is probably the hardest part) but if they were to lower the fuel tax revenue band to slightly below that figure then the treasury would actually make more money because more people would buy fuel in this country.
european drivers would fill up before leaving this country for our nearest european partner, uk hauliers travelling abroad for diesel would find it cheaper to buy the fuel here and there may even be european trucks just coming to the uk to fuel up.
is it not better to sell 100 items at a profit of £5 each or one item at a profit of £100 each.
it really wouldn’t make any difference to the gov if the foriegn trucks just came over and fuelled up then went back because it’s a sale that they never had before, like a new customer at a store that always buys something when they go in.