UK Ports, Foreign Vehicle Entry Charges?

As question suggests ,

should Foreign vehicles entering UK and leaving ports to travel on UK roads Pay a one-off enter/travel fee per visit ■■ :question:

ie : similar to how the Swiss do it

Your views please .

MRC:
I had an in depth conversation with a haulier a few weeks ago about this and it seems its discussed quite a lot out on the roads.
He said they should give you a coloured disc to go in a disc holder on your wind screen when you come off the ferry/train and when it comes to leaving the country you give back this disc and they charge you for how long you’re in the country.
AND not only that, dip the tank to see how much is in there and make sure they travel back home with pretty much the same amount of fuel in the tank.

how this would work I dont know.

It would have been better and easier to negotiate free use of all foreign roads by British trucks like foreign ones get here (except the Dartford crossing and the M6 toll of course) or only selectively charge those registered in countries in the same way as they charge ours.

Until the British can sort out their appalling road network out by reducing the horrendous amount of road works, endless queues and stop closing roads willy nilly - in other words bring their roads up to the standards of the rest of europe then they have absolutely no right to charge for anything.

In fact they ought to consider paying european hauliers compensation because it takes three times longer to go anywhere in the UK than virtually anywhere else in europe.

The British government had the chance to use the Vignette system which is used in Benelux, Sweden and Denmark as well as Germany before it was replaced by the MAUT/Toll Collect.

The British haulier would still have to pay it like the Dutch, Belgians and Danes do although it could be probably reimbursed with a fuel duty rebate.

Switzerland is calculated on the kilometre reading between entry and exit regardless of the types of road or whether you are loaded or empty

Hombre:
Until the British can sort out their appalling road network out by reducing the horrendous amount of road works, endless queues and stop closing roads willy nilly - in other words bring their roads up to the standards of the rest of europe then they have absolutely no right to charge for anything.

In fact they ought to consider paying european hauliers compensation because it takes three times longer to go anywhere in the UK than virtually anywhere else in europe.

I dare to tell that Poland has much worse roads than Britain and yet we are charging foreign vehicles…

I think charges to forteign vehicles, who are damaging the country’s roads are able to help improve road network.

MRC:
they should give you a coloured disc to go in a disc holder on your wind screen when you come off the ferry/train and when it comes to leaving the country you give back this disc and they charge you for how long you’re in the country.

I think this is quite a good idea, except that foreign vehicles do not have disc holders for obvious reason :wink:

Wheel Nut:
The British government had the chance to use the Vignette system which is used in Benelux, Sweden and Denmark as well as Germany before it was replaced by the MAUT/Toll Collect.

I seen in Polish TV in some road transport news that there will be common MAUT system introduced for all EU countries… It shall start in 2011…

Yes they should they should also have a valid test cert and insurace docs.

fuse:
Yes they should they should also have a valid test cert and insurace docs.

That’s already is a legal requirement.

MRC:
I had an in depth conversation with a haulier a few weeks ago about this and it seems its discussed quite a lot out on the roads.
He said they should give you a coloured disc to go in a disc holder on your wind screen when you come off the ferry/train and when it comes to leaving the country you give back this disc and they charge you for how long you’re in the country.
AND not only that, dip the tank to see how much is in there and make sure they travel back home with pretty much the same amount of fuel in the tank.

how this would work I dont know.

Hi MRC, it would probably work the same as it did in the 80s when Germany and Austria (amongst some others) had a system whereby you could enter the country with a certain amount in your tank, which was checked by dipping tanks and generating endless queuing at Customs. Upon leaving the country, you showed fuel receipts and your fuel level was again checked (more queuing,) then the tank contents were entered on a Tankschein and then stamped by Customs. You were then allowed back in next time with that amount (or less) provided you could produce your Tankschein. Italy tried that for a while, but they gave up on the idea. France had a limit upon entering their country, but didn’t care how much you had when you left.

IMHO, that wouldn’t be a good idea these days, what with ‘open’ borders and all that. :smiley:

:bulb: Cue the Hovis music and a post by Wheel Nut :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

The problem is that whereas Germany and Poland are largely transit countries, we are a destination country, with the exception of the relatively few trucks travelling to and from Ireland, so any tax imposed on foreign hauliers would simply end up being passed on to the British taxpayer at the supermarket checkout.

Harry Monk:
The problem is that whereas Germany and Poland are largely transit countries, we are a destination country, with the exception of the relatively few trucks travelling to and from Ireland, so any tax imposed on foreign hauliers would simply end up being passed on to the British taxpayer at the supermarket checkout.

Hm. That’s the good point…

But from my point of view, altough I am a bit newbie as a UK resident, I would prefere to pay slightly more in the supermarket and have decent roads arround than loosing my wheel in the pothole on my way back from Tesco’s… And propably as the foreigners would have to pay, the UK hauliers would be slightly more competetive to them, so there will be more work for us to earn some extra pennies to pay for more expensive food.

Germany has a strict taxation system because trucks criss-cross the country without bringing any benefit to Germany. They just wear the roads out.

Foreign trucks in the UK are delivering or loading here, it’s not the same thing. Any tax imposed on foreign trucks would simply be passed on to me at the supermarket, along with a healthy mark-up to pay for the admin.

Tax-free traffic for trucks is the way to go.

But (I am asking only) how we know if the costs of it will be bigger than profit from this lorries and also from british hauliers being more competitive ?

Wheel Nut:

The British haulier would still have to pay it like the Dutch, Belgians and Danes do although it could be probably reimbursed with a fuel duty rebate.

Switzerland is calculated on the kilometre reading between entry and exit regardless of the types of road or whether you are loaded or empty

Wheel Nut:

I’m trying to work out how that Swiss one works in practice?.I only know running through there regularly by car to Italy.If you use the non motorway roads from Pontarlier to Lausanne or use the south side of the lake at St Gingolph and then through to the Simplon for instance where is it that they check trucks? as the border posts don’t seem to check the French trucks going through there all the time for mileage or anything they just seem to go through both ways and I’ve followed them lots of times.At 85 kmh on the motorways I would have thought that it’s going to save some money to use just the RN’s in France and just take a bit longer if you can spare the extra time?.

Carryfast:
I’m trying to work out how that Swiss one works in practice?.I only know running through there regularly by car to Italy.If you use the non motorway roads from Pontarlier to Lausanne or use the south side of the lake at St Gingolph and then through to the Simplon for instance where is it that they check trucks? as the border posts don’t seem to check the French trucks going through there all the time for mileage or anything they just seem to go through both ways and I’ve followed them lots of times.At 85 kmh on the motorways I would have thought that it’s going to save some money to use just the RN’s in France and just take a bit longer if you can spare the extra time?.

There is a world of difference between running to the Schloss in a car or a truck, read this lot.

ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_firmen … ml?lang=en

You have a credit card type id for the truck, you enter the mileage as you enter with the fuel card of choice, you enter the end mileage on your swiss gate pass and if you lie, zey vill shoot you :stuck_out_tongue:

Occasional checks are made that the km reading matches the tax form, a box can be used too that works off the stars :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:

There is a world of difference between running to the Schloss in a car or a truck, read this lot.

ezv.admin.ch/zollinfo_firmen … ml?lang=en

You have a credit card type id for the truck, you enter the mileage as you enter with the fuel card of choice, you enter the end mileage on your swiss gate pass and if you lie, zey vill shoot you :stuck_out_tongue:

Occasional checks are made that the km reading matches the tax form, a box can be used too that works off the stars :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks wheelnut so that’s out then.I think I’ll go the long way round along the coast to Ventimiglia by the time I’ve mucked about with all that bureaucracy and have a nice break by the coast at Cannes with the money I’ve saved.I was wondering why there seems to be a lot more trucks using the French motorways than there used to be.It’s probably cheaper and less hassle than bothering with Swiss,Benelux and the rest now.It should save on brake and gearbox wear too.They say that those Swiss are good shots and they never miss too so it’s a no brainer.

A lot of us on here will recall the days when the Spanish customs would dip the diesel tanks coming out of Gibraltar,there was a limit,and proof of how much you put in in Gib,and fines were issued.For some reason,every tom ■■■■ and harry was flocking to Gib for cheap sugar,filling their cars with the stuff.The old ladies are still there that ask passers by to bring a few cartons of cigs through the frontier.

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Yes that sounds a good idea but just before i ret 2001 the RN1was weight limited from outside bouloyne[spelling] to force you onto the a16,as i dont know have the french not done this elsewere?

dafdave:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Yes that sounds a good idea but just before i ret 2001 the RN1was weight limited from outside bouloyne[spelling] to force you onto the a16,as i dont know have the french not done this elsewere?

Not as far as I know out of Calais but it’s best to use the A26 to by pass St Omer and Bethune etc…But there’s certainly no problems with weight as far as I know between Reims and Pontarlier on the old RN’s through Vitry,St Dizier,Langres,and Besancon.Those autoroutes around there have only been put in relatively recently.Wheel nut would probably know more as all my knowledge over there is just car based but that’s hopefully going to change soon as I’ve done more than my fair share of UK.