Free use of roads

why can the gov not tax foreign trucks when they look like charging 4x4s 400 quid or so i can not fathom it out

The Goverment says it’s to complex to collect the tax, but surely it couldn’t be easier. Every foreign truck in this country comes through a port of entry, so log the truck entry and when they go back to a dock to leave make it the shipping agents job to collect the tax. It only has to be what ever the daily VED would be for a British truck.

muckles:
The Goverment says it’s to complex to collect the tax, but surely it couldn’t be easier. Every foreign truck in this country comes through a port of entry, so log the truck entry and when they go back to a dock to leave make it the shipping agents job to collect the tax. It only has to be what ever the daily VED would be for a British truck.

Well said that man.
In reality i think we dont wont to seem to upset" Jonny forienger"
:smiling_imp:

Its common sense,thats why there will probably never be anything done about it,
It would raise loads of revenue for the treasury,not be difficult to collect via the ports
And if the foreign trucks stop coming over,more work for our boys,and hence more tax paid to the treasury!
Its a no brainer! :unamused:

Of course there is no chance the French would promptly retalliate - is there?

Hasn’t this been gone over a million times before and wasn’t there even a court ruling on it, that the UK government wouldn’t be allowed under EU rules to charge foreign HGV’s a toll or charge unless they were also charging UK trucks the same charge.

This should have been implemented 10+ yrs ago. We have to pay when we go to other countries with our trucks.

And, for the most part i hope, our drivers don’t side swipe cars on the m/way on a regular basis, drive for 30+ hrs without a break, run on cheaper fuel, not spend money on food whilst there due to the full kitchen fitted under the trailer, etc. need i go on?

Think any UK truck going into Europe is going to have the common sense to have enough fuel to get across the channel and fill up with their cheaper diesel, also on the way back i am sure majority of UK trucks are going to do the sensible thing and fill up before they get on the boat.

As for food, maybe they find the prices we pay for stuff unacceptable, if i did a run to Europe i’d being filling up with cheap food, booze and ■■■■ (legal amounts of course) outta one of them hyper markets.

Because the British Government hates lorries & wants to close down the British Transport Industry, that way they can buy up all our yards & build housing estates for more refugees :smiling_imp:

We dont pay road tax when we go abroad henve they dont pay it over here.

It would be unfair tolls are a different thing!.

jammymutt:
We dont pay road tax when we go abroad henve they dont pay it over here.

but don’t we have to pay tolls in the EU to drive on there roads which is a form of tax for them so why don,t there pay tolls here could put toll booths at the portsor tunnell so there than pay a toll to use are roads.

edited to fix the quote - repton

Is Switzerland free now then Jammy?

The problem lies in how you levy the tax. If we were to toll foreign vehicles we would have to pay too, like the MAUT in Germany. As we already have VED you would end up with double tax on UK so the result would be the same as the current situation. The only way to levy a tax on all would be to get rid of VED and have a MAUT equivalent - already dismissed as too expensive.

Anyway, we like cheap euro haulage really…

Too complex. Why not charge them per day in the country. Now very easy to do with ANPR cameras at ports.

Why not make them have to purchase a vignette type tax, uk vehicles exempt cos they purchase it in bulk aka tax disc

its not rocket science is it

Too complex. Why not charge them per day in the country. Now very easy to do with ANPR cameras at ports.

whatever we charged them, we would have to pay the same, it’s EU law.

Is Switzerland free now then Jammy?

switzerland aren’t in the EU.

And, for the most part i hope, our drivers don’t side swipe cars on the m/way on a regular basis, drive for 30+ hrs without a break, run on cheaper fuel, not spend money on food whilst there due to the full kitchen fitted under the trailer, etc. need i go on?

so that was you following me around in the late 80’s/early 90’s,
i said i was being followed but they told me not to be paranoid :laughing:

:wink:

what ever is said its unfair to us they drive on our roads free of charge,i dont g o abroad but if i did and it was to ply my trade i would expect to pay something if i owned a4x4 and were to pay the predicted 400 quid i would be pretty miffed any way i thought the polluter was going to pay or dont they pollute when they come here level playing field dont make me laugh

Why charge them at all?.

I want my goods in the supermarket dirt cheap and if the companies supplying them can use foreign hauliers to ship them and thus keep the prices down thats good isnt it?.

If the foreign hauliers have to pay a road tax over here then the rest of Europe will charge our hauliers when we go over there on a daily or weekly basis.

Ying Yang and all that its unfair for us to it and then they dont isnt it?.

jammymutt:
Why charge them at all?.

I want my goods in the supermarket dirt cheap and if the companies supplying them can use foreign hauliers to ship them and thus keep the prices down thats good isnt it?.

If the foreign hauliers have to pay a road tax over here then the rest of Europe will charge our hauliers when we go over there on a daily or weekly basis.

Ying Yang and all that its unfair for us to it and then they dont isnt it?.

If you drive a truck in Europe you are already charged, whether it’s tolls or Vignettes, or maut, Go Box, or a tax in Hungary.

British trucks already pay to use UK roads, so all needed is a way of getting Foreign trucks to pay a proportion of the VED related to how long they spend in the UK. As far as I see it doesn’t break any EU competition laws, and it’s probably about £5 a day, very similar to a Vignette.