Fuel Duty

I see Gordon has upped the fuel duty again - when is he going to hit the foreign truckers coming in with full tanks of cheap fuel and not filling up here.

He is again penalising the UK haulier and pushing costs up. :blush: :cry:

typical move by the goverment,
lets penalise people for using their vehicles ‘oh does that include people who use a vehicle for work purposes’ what a shame still gives us more money to keep us in the deputy world policeman role. goverment needs to look at the way the country is, ie get our own house in order first before you go knocking on others to enforce your ideals on them. would love to see stephen ladyman out in a truck for a week just to see the problems we face, ome to think of it any minister should be out on the ground getting the experience of the jobs before they take over any ministerial post.

when is he going to hit the foreign truckers coming in with full tanks of cheap fuel and not filling up here…He is again penalising the UK haulier and pushing costs up.

Everybody can buy the fuel abroad, not just foreign trucks. I have been on the road in the UK for the last couple of weeks and am amazed by the number of british trucks that are old - less economical; have their trailers 2 m from their tractor unit - less economical and belt down the motorway at 60 - well, you get the drift!

I am not saying things are hard, but perhaps people should think about the issues closer to hand !

Why should foreign trucks be penalised, aren’t they are just trying to scratch a living like the rest of us!

Plambert:
Why should foreign trucks be penalised, aren’t they are just trying to scratch a living like the rest of us!

UK Hauliers have to pay to use their roads. Why should we be soft by allowing them to come in to this country and use our roads without paying a penny for the privilege?

If we did charge foreigners, it would make it more of a level playing field for everyone.

i put this answer on the O/D site as well but,

Ladies & Gentlemen , we are in the EU

and ““ALL”” members when the schenker

treaty was signed or there abouts,also

laid down new laws,or rules as regards

trucks and the amount of fuel allowed

to be carried ,it was decided that a

total of 1500liters was allowed per truck

with out the tank for the fridge on reefers

SO you can not get the goverment to

bring in charges for all those who

enter the GB,as this will be illegal

and the EU will fine the GB,Rather

get the goverment to reduce the TAX

on the fuel,orwhen a referrendum

is called vote NO to staying in the

EU;; WHICH will mean bringing

back customs and borders, AND

problems for transport when it goes

abroad, and also for all of our imports

when they come into the country,

SORRY but kick the goverment

up it rear end as they can change

the way the TAX is on fuel ,

another point here is one that

PLAMBERT posted if money was

invested into getting new vehicles and

ancillaries,this would bring about better

fuel consumpsion andalso with GREENER

TRUCKS the goverment should give bigger

grants and less road tax,´The way to beat

the costs of fuel is not just a drop in the tax but

also that the TRANSPORT COMPANYS act as

WELL;;

killsville:
If we did charge foreigners, it would make it more of a level playing field for everyone.

It wouldn’t. Under EU law, and like it or not we are in the EU and that isn’t about to change any time soon, the same charges would have to be applied to UK registered trucks as well. Both would pay the same charge, so there would be no difference to the level of the playing field. :cry: :cry: :cry:

killsville:
UK Hauliers have to pay to use their roads.

They pay the same charges to use their roads. The Germans and the Austrians have to pay their versions of the Maut the same as UK trucks. Belgian, Dutch etc.,trucks pay the vignette to use the roads in their country, the same as the UK trucks do. Sadly, campaigning for a charge on foreign trucks is in effect a campaign to add another cost to the UK haulier.

Coffeeholic:

killsville:

It wouldn’t. Under EU law, and like it or not we are in the EU and that isn’t about to change any time soon, the same charges would have to be applied to UK registered trucks as well. Both would pay the same charge, so there would be no difference to the level of the playing field. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don’t know so much about UK taxes, but wouldn’t it be possible to charge everybody and english firms could get it back as a tax refund…

Something like the germa system with pay roads…

Robbe:
I don’t know so much about UK taxes, but wouldn’t it be possible to charge everybody and english firms could get it back as a tax refund…

Something like the germa system with pay roads…

It would be possible to reduce, or do away with the road fund licence. But there are a couple of points that might make that a less than perfect option. !. The daily charge would cost more per year than most trucks pay in road tax. 2. No chance with this Government. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Just had a letter fro Toll Collect today who inform me that as from 1 Jan 2007 certain stretches of the bundestrasse are also to be included in the Maut.

I will not be long before it spreads throughout Germany,then the rest of Europe

I got that letter as well. Seems to mainly be stretches of Bundesstrasse that are heavily used by trucks avoiding the autobahns so they don’t have to pay. I guess they will find new routes and then they will apply the toll to them as well.

Coffeeholic:
They pay the same charges to use their roads.

Quite true. But they come over here and don’t pay a penny into our system. UK hauliers are having to pay fuel duty and a Road Fund Licence to use our own roads. (Although the government prefer to use the money for things other than maintaining the roads!)

Road tax in Uk for 2 + 3 40 tonner ÂŁ1850.00

Road tax here in Belgium 44 tonner 2 + 3…€500.00 or £338.00

Thats one of the reasons im slowly but surely getting shot of my UK motors and replacing them in Belgium :bulb:

Current fuel price is 0.7945 euro per liter ex vat or 0.5381 pence per litre

killsville:
Quite true. But they come over here and don’t pay a penny into our system. UK hauliers are having to pay fuel duty and a Road Fund Licence to use our own roads.

I agree, but if a charge is introduced on foreign trucks UK hauliers will have to pay that as well. Foreign trucks will pay the new charge. UK trucks will pay the new charge, fuel duty and a Road Fund Licence. Can’t win. :imp: :imp:

very true ch,
whatever laws are introduced uk drivers will still get hit for it on top of everything else, still better than working double shifts as a docker though :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
I agree, but if a charge is introduced on foreign trucks UK hauliers will have to pay that as well. Foreign trucks will pay the new charge. UK trucks will pay the new charge, fuel duty and a Road Fund Licence. Can’t win. :imp: :imp:

The only way for the system to be fair, is if the whole of Europe uses the same system of charging which means abolishing the current road fund licence system which of course this government wouldn’t even consider.

Whatever happens, it will always feel like the UK haulier is the one being hit in the pocket.

Coffeeholic:

Why would UK trucks pay Road Fund Licence plus any tax charged to foreign trucks? Surely the foreign truck tax would be the equivalent of them paying road fund licence. As UK trucks already pay that, then they would be paying the same tax twice.

:confused: :confused:

Please correct me if I am wrong…but hasn’t the duty on fuel been increased in order to further our schools? Apparantly they are all falling into wrack and ruin and need massive re-building projects in order to preserve the education of future generations. Mmmmmm…not to mention the fact that suddenly we have thousands of immigrant pupils who all need to benefit from our free education system!
As for applying some form of taxation to the foreign trucks that use our roads…bring it on is what I say!! Stop pussyfooting around, and wake up!
Simon has got it right. Why should the UK trucks pay our road fund licence + anything extra? We are allready being taxed to the hilt for driving on our roads…so why shouldn’t any foreign vehicles be taxed for driving on our roads as well?
I want to know just where this “level playing field” is…cos it sure isn’t in the dumping ground…formerly known as Great Britain!

Simon:

Coffeeholic:

Why would UK trucks pay Road Fund Licence plus any tax charged to foreign trucks?

Because, as has been said many times, under EU law you cannot introduce a tax just on foreign trucks, it has to apply to your own countries trucks as well. The Germans also pay the Maut for instance, and that will be working out far more per vehicle than they paid under their old system. A new daily, mileage or mileage/tonnage based charge in the UK would, if it is to be a worthwhile amount that doesn’t cost more to administer than it collects, work out to more than the current RFL for most trucks, so even if they did remove the RFL most hauliers would be worse off. Can you really see them introducing it and removing the RFL at the same time? The chances are they would apply both charges and claim it was a ‘Green Tax.’ I firmly believe the only people who would suffer if it was introduced would be the UK haulier. :imp: :imp: