Know of anyone doing the INITIAL driver CPC?

Seems very quiet on posts with anyone doing THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC - maybe they are doing it but are not members on here… so does anyone know of someone who is doing it or has done it :question:

i will be taking mine on wed 21st oct at my local DSA office,will post on here after i have done it and let you know if its good or bad news,i’m hoping it will be good… :grimacing:

Hello,
One of our pupils is taking his on Tuesday 20th, will post when he has taken it.

i recently did the case studies part of the initial cpc and to be honest it is a joke. you could probably put a school child in the test and they would pass.

just another excuse for the dsa to grab more money off us!!

regards

kevin

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome kevin0410 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

kevin0410:
i recently did the case studies part of the initial cpc and to be honest it is a joke. you could probably put a school child in the test and they would pass.

regards

kevin

Hi kevin0410,

You’re saying that the initial driver CPC is a joke, but there was nothing at all before that.
Before Sept 10th, you did your training, then took and hopefully passed your LGV driving test. Most newbies then thought that they were the King of the hill with their shiny new LGV licence, but in fact they were a liability to themselves, their employers and other road users, because they had no idea of: route planning, safe loading and all the other subjects covered in the test you took.

Not all that long ago, Some of the more far-sighted newbies realised that they were woefully under-equipped for the jobs they wanted to do and then came on the forum asking questions to which (thanks to your CPC) you already know the answers. :wink:

I was involved in the testing of the initial driver CPC before it was released and gave some input into some of the subjects/questions covered. Having been in the industry since 1976, I can assure you that the driver CPC isn’t a joke, or that a schoolchild could answer the questions. The reason that you found it easy might be due to the quality of the training that you received. :smiley:

kevin0410:

Did you have any training for this module 2 test :question:

dieseldave:
i only said the case studies module was a joke. i agree with you about the fact that newbies should have training in the areas you mentioned, but i don’t believe that the cpc case studies if actually achieving this.

rog:
i did no training for the case studies test, apart from buying the dsa book (which was next to useless). i found most of the questions were just common sense and many were just re-hashed questions from the theory test.

i didn’t score 100% in the test (43 out of 50) but flew through the questions in about 15 mins with few questions requiring much thought.

i believe the practical demo test will be much more worthwhile as it requires exact knowledge rather than being able to guess the answer from four or five options where usually only two could be the likely answer.

kevin0410:
dieseldave:
i agree with you about the fact that newbies should have training in the areas you mentioned, but i don’t believe that the cpc case studies if actually achieving this.

Hi Kevin, It’s early days yet mate…

I’m afraid we’re playing catch-up with our European partners yet again, cos many of them have had something far better than what we now call ‘driver CPC’ for many years. :unamused:

The problem is in trying to balance what’s actually needed against the horrendous costs of trying to provide it. Then, of course, there is the cost to the candidate, so it’s actually quite tricky for the DSA to get the requirements spot-on. It’s the age-old problem of chicken and egg, so if nothing changes, it’ll remain the same. :grimacing: :smiley:

:bulb: I can also predict that it will, either rain, or go dark before tomorrow morning!! :stuck_out_tongue:

well i had my test today at my local DSA office and i am really pleased to say i PASSED… :grimacing: :grimacing: ,

i got 41 out of the 50 which considering i did not look at any books or ask any questions is really good,most of it came from my driving experience over the last 20 odd years even though i have yet to gain my class 2 i am well on my way with yet another hurdle out of the way.

i found the test relatively easy in regards to what i knew,however there were some questions that did throw me simply because it seemed to me that you could have picked a different answer that would be true in a real life situation but not for their(DSA) criteria,so because of this i do reccommend that any new drivers with little driving experience study the driver CPC book so as not to get caught out on the test day.

on the whole i thought it was a fair test which covered a decent if yet small amount of possible real life scenario’s(the voice acting is terrible though… :unamused: ) anyway my next goal is the module 4 part for which i will be taking the training and i am hoping that i pass that too… :grimacing:

Well done on passing module 2 initial driver cpc :smiley: :smiley:

Hello,
Our trainee took his Driver CPC Theory test yesterday, and passed with 42 out of 50, and said it was basically like the normal theory test, and common sense with a few years driving experience, and didn’t even borrow our book. Bye

mark41:
well i had my test today at my local DSA office and i am really pleased to say i PASSED… :grimacing: :grimacing: ,

i got 41 out of the 50 which considering i did not look at any books or ask any questions is really good,most of it came from my driving experience over the last 20 odd years even though i have yet to gain my class 2 i am well on my way with yet another hurdle out of the way.

i found the test relatively easy in regards to what i knew,however there were some questions that did throw me simply because it seemed to me that you could have picked a different answer that would be true in a real life situation but not for their(DSA) criteria,so because of this i do reccommend that any new drivers with little driving experience study the driver CPC book so as not to get caught out on the test day.

on the whole i thought it was a fair test which covered a decent if yet small amount of possible real life scenario’s(the voice acting is terrible though… :unamused: ) anyway my next goal is the module 4 part for which i will be taking the training and i am hoping that i pass that too… :grimacing:

Well done

I would say that the module 4 test will be more difficult so make sure you do some prep for that one

mark41:
i got 41 out of the 50

fallingbostel:
Our trainee took his Driver CPC Theory test yesterday, and passed with 42 out of 50

MODULE 2 - Case Studies for the (IDCPC)

• Each test will be made up of 3 realistic scenarios (from a bank of 7) a driver may encounter in their working life - each one with 6-8 questions, with a possible maximum score of 50 (of which the pass mark will be 38 ).
  • Candidates will be allowed 1½ hrs to complete this module.
  • Cost of this test is £30.00

2 more module 4 passes today. No prob :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
2 more module 4 passes today. No prob :laughing: :laughing:

Dolly knot ■■? - I’ll bet not - do you think anyone will be asked to do one ?

Dolly knot ■■? - I’ll bet not - do you think anyone will be asked to do one ?

No one can be asked to do a dolly knot. I thought I’d mentioned in a previous post that there are 3 possible scenarios: cages, sheet steel and palletised paper.

You have a choice of chains, rope, strap and loadlock bar. But it is the trainee’s choice which is used. So there is no way anyone will be “asked” to do a dolly knot. I teach it anyway as it’s a good opportunity but it won’t be needed on test. :laughing: :laughing:

kevin0410:

regards

kevin

I have said it before and will say it again the initial CPC is a missed opportunity to train drivers and not to train people to drive…there are trainers on here who like me train drivers.

Perhaps if module 4 had THIS then more would want to do it :bulb: :question:

Took first part CPC in October.All answers are talked about first then muti quiiz at the end