Ken Thomas of Guyhirn

An “A” series of Ken Thomas.Immaculate. 900X20. :laughing:

Are you sure it’s an A series? :confused:

boris:
Are you sure it’s an A series? :confused:

I would say its an A series Boris.They were called the LV up until 1970 when they were renamed the A series,and with that one being an H reg circa 1970 I would say 900X20 is right.
Cheers Dave.

Dave ,I’m no ERF expert :blush: but i always thought the A series had the grille with horizontal slats & a step in front of the wheelarch such as this …No?

u r right boris

hi all,
that erf of john thomas’ is definatley not an a series.that one in my opinion is a 6lv erf.the a series was a 7lv.as far as i am aware :laughing:
regards andrew.

the A SERIES had longer springs and a step at the front i think will have to ask bewick if i am right :stuck_out_tongue:

I hold my hands up Boris,that Ken Thomas ERF must have been a late 1969 motor,because they did call them A sreies from 1970.But after having another look at my book,yes the larger grill is the A series,so I was wrong :cry: . :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

yappie:
the A SERIES had longer springs and a step at the front i think will have to ask bewick if i am right :stuck_out_tongue:

This is an “A” series which IIRC was launched in '72 as “L” reg.That one of Ken Thomas’s is defo not an “A”,not quite sure of it’s model classification as I didn’t get involved with ERF’s until the “A” series came out.I can re-call John McGuffie running an “L” reg “A” series with a badly fitted Kysor Rad shutter which could only open partially,guess what they “baked” the ■■■■■■■ 220.I remember asking the driver where the temp gauge needle pointed “Always in the Red” he replied!!!

hi all,
as far as i am aware.the a series model was a tractor unit only from the early 70’s using the 7lv cab and the set back front axle etc.
regards andrew.

While we’re on A series trivia :smiley: was the ■■■■■■■ 220 ‘standard’ fitment- as most of the ones i remember had that engine fitted instead of the usual Gardners?

boris:
While we’re on A series trivia :smiley: was the ■■■■■■■ 220 ‘standard’ fitment- as most of the ones i remember had that engine fitted instead of the usual Gardners?

I re-call when I visited ERF’s once being told that the 3000 chassis they built at that time(mid 70’s) that the engine split was 1000 Gardners,1500 ■■■■■■■ and 500 RR and the best favour us hauliers could do was order chassis with ■■■■■■■ engines!! I re-call that all the ERF’s I took delivery of from that time until the last one in August '82 were either 240 LXB’s or 265LXc’s!!!This is a shot of a nice little 180LXB I bought from HLH of Whiffler Rd. Norwich.Little cracker it was!!!

pete 359:
hi all,
as far as i am aware.the a series model was a tractor unit only from the early 70’s using the 7lv cab and the set back front axle etc.
regards andrew.

You are correct Andrew.
LV’s were made right up to the introduction of the B series in 1975.
The A Series introduced in 1971 always has a set back front axle, 7LV cab with the big grille, the rear springs mounted outside of the chassis rails (rather than underneath on LV’s) and a thinner gauge high tensile steel chassis that extends out through the front lower panel.
99.9% of all A Series are tractor units.
Some A Series 4x2 draw-bar equipped rigids were also made.
All 6 and 8 wheel chassis with steel rear springs are LV’s, irrespective of which LV cab or grille is fitted.

Hiya …a little story. A chap called townsend came into the panel shop and asked if i could make some
ally strips for him , he gave me a bit of paper with a drawing on it. knowing his wife had small kids i
thought he was making a gate for the bottom of his stairs, instead of making the 13 he asked for i
said theres a few spares(20) a week or so later i saw this new A series grill been carried around.
I thought thats not a baby gate with ERF letters in the middle.i still smile 40+ years later when i
see a… A series
John

I remember being edumacated by this site when someone posted a picture of a 8 wheel powder tanker working in the peak district with the explanation and differences between LV & A series ERF. Before that I called them A, B, C and D series

Someone mentioned drawbars and rigids. A couple of young brothers bought one from Carslberg in Goole and that was fitted with the Gardner 100 5 cylinder engine which I also learned was designated LW20

5LW20 developed 20hp per cylinder x five = 100hp

6LW20 developed 20hp per cylinder x six = 120hp

Greetings all,apologies re.the “A” series,I stand corrected. :blush: :frowning:

900X20:
Greetings all,apologies re.the “A” series,I stand corrected. :blush: :frowning:

Don’t worry 900X20,keep posting your excellent pics.
Cheers Dave.

Thanks for that,Dave.Re.the photos,there’s more to come-all in all I took about 190 odd on the day.I just wish that all the Members of this Forum could have been there.A day to remember.Still,there’ll be another one next year.Regards,900X20. :laughing: :smiley:

900X20:
Thanks for that,Dave.Re.the photos,there’s more to come-all in all I took about 190 odd on the day.I just wish that all the Members of this Forum could have been there.A day to remember.Still,there’ll be another one next year.Regards,900X20. :laughing: :smiley:

I have seen the London to Brighton run several years ago 900X20,my sister lives just off the A23 about eight miles from Brighton and the Commercial run was on one year when we were there.As you say its a great sight to see all those classic lorries on the move,but I live 200 miles away in Mid Wales,so its a bit far to come to see the start,although I do go down for the day sometimes.
Cheers Dave.