British Lorries from the 60`s

Taken from a couple of books i have
and thought some of you may like to see them.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

Interesting pics :smiley:

:smiley: Nice pics, dunno about the D series though, they were pants.

On the first photo, I wonder, was the middle name More ā– ā–  for C Butts. :stuck_out_tongue: PMSL

Excellent photos, can you give the details of the book ?.

I wonder how far ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€™s ERF got with the open fronted sheet, before he had to sort it out?

Sheeter:
Excellent photos, can you give the details of the book ?.

These links will put you onto both books Sheeter and there both excellent

nynehead-books.co.uk/description.php?II=445

nynehead-books.co.uk/description.php?II=12

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

C ā– ā– ā– ā–  still have that KV eight-wheeler - it was the first ERF ever fitted with a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  engine and is apparently being restored.

The Atkinson Mk I eight-wheeler belonging to Aaron Henshall in the second picture is pictured on the dock road in Liverpool in around 1971 with a load of glass in packing crates. The wagon was originally from the long distance fleet of Holt Lane Transport of Whiston, and was transferred to Henshall livery after S C Raikes bought the operation in the sixties.

The Mk II Atkinson (JRN 37H) was one of two at Northern Ireland Trailers, the other (JRN 38H) is still on the road and has been displayed on this forum - the owner being 240 Gardner.

The J&H wagon is actually a Mk 1 Scammell Handyman pictured on a changeover at Markyate on the A5 - thereā€™s another one for you David!

marky:
The J&H wagon is actually a Mk 1 Scammell Handyman pictured on a changeover at Markyate on the A5 - thereā€™s another one for you David!

You must be a mind reader Marky, I recognised the cab but couldnā€™t place it, my finger was poised over the reply button when I saw your last post. As Iā€™ve said before Iā€™m a Scammell fan but apart from my Highwayman experience with Ilkeston Haulage have rarely driven one. As a result all the various models just donā€™t come naturally to me.

Thanks for the anticipation.

BTW a month or 2 back I posted a picture of my old sleeper cabbed Borderer on Econofreight and I think you or perhaps 240 said there was one in restoration somewhere. Has anybody tracked it down and discovered which one it was?

Salut, David.

marky:
C ā– ā– ā– ā–  still have that KV eight-wheeler - it was the first ERF ever fitted with a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  engine and is apparently being restored.

The Atkinson Mk I eight-wheeler belonging to Aaron Henshall in the second picture is pictured on the dock road in Liverpool in around 1971 with a load of glass in packing crates. The wagon was originally from the long distance fleet of Holt Lane Transport of Whiston, and was transferred to Henshall livery after S C Raikes bought the operation in the sixties.

The Mk II Atkinson (JRN 37H) was one of two at Northern Ireland Trailers, the other (JRN 38H) is still on the road and has been displayed on this forum - the owner being 240 Gardner.

Famous at last! :smiley:

The Henshall Atki also survived into preservation, although I donā€™t know where it is now. It used to be painted black, with just ā€œWestern Trunksā€ on the headboard, and ran fully sheeted up with a trailer. It was very unusual in having a steel-framed cab

[BTW a month or 2 back I posted a picture of my old sleeper cabbed Borderer on Econofreight and I think you or perhaps 240 said there was one in restoration somewhere. Has anybody tracked it down and discovered which one it was?

Salut, David.
[/quote]

David

Iā€™ve just picked up the latest issue of Classic & Vintage Commercials and, looking at the article about Borderer JRE 695N, therre is a photo taken when its current owner bought it a couple of years ago. Clearly showing behind it is a sleeper-cabbed Borderer in full Econofreight livery, so thereā€™s still one about that recently. Maybe this is the one that Marky has confirmed still extant in the North of England. Unfortunately, no reg no is visible.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the same one, but I was on the phone to someone on Monday evening who tells me he knew of an ex-Econofreight Borderer in the Stoke area.

There was also the story of one that was in store in ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  (Lakeland), but that is also unconfirmed.

Curiouser & curiouserā€¦

240 Gardner:
The Henshall Atki also survived into preservation, although I donā€™t know where it is now. It used to be painted black, with just ā€œWestern Trunksā€ on the headboard, and ran fully sheeted up with a trailer. It was very unusual in having a steel-framed cab

Was it the same one that was in Kevin Dennisā€™s auction?

If I recall correctly, there were two - one with an engine and one without; both in a very sorry state.

marky:

240 Gardner:

Was it the same one that was in Kevin Dennisā€™s auction?

If I recall correctly, there were two - one with an engine and one without; both in a very sorry state.

No, that was 313 XTC, also ex-Holt Lane. 788 WTE belonged to a chap from the Potteries who, sadly, collapsed and died whilst at a rally in Leyland in the mid-1990s. I heard that it passed to the Scammell enthusiast, Roger Austen after that, but I havenā€™t heard of it since then. It was pretty tidy. Plain, but nice.

The engineless one was ex-fairground, EPD 70B. What an anorak, eh? Reg nos. from memory - very sad!

marky:
Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the same one, but I was on the phone to someone on Monday evening who tells me he knew of an ex-Econofreight Borderer in the Stoke area.

There was also the story of one that was in store in ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  (Lakeland), but that is also unconfirmed.

Curiouser & curiouserā€¦

The one allegedly in ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  with TCā€™s ā€œacquaintanceā€ was definitely supposed to be a sleeper (and a Nightingale one at that). However, the Bradbury Borderer was in Stoke, so the mystery deepensā€¦

Hmm - I rather think my informant on Monday was referring to the one pictured behind the Bradbury wagon in the picture.

I also think that picture was taken a few years ago, so the Econofreight motor could be anywhere now (if indeed it still existsā€¦)

I donā€™t suppose that C. ā– ā– ā– ā–  is any relationship to that famous proctologist, Dr. C. Moore Butts that we all heard about in grade school, is he??
:smiley:

No Alex - and I rather suspect that you already knew thatā€¦ :wink:

Hey, I just had to ask. My neighbours, the Dovers asked about that. You know the Dovers, donā€™t you? Ben and Eileen??
:unamused:

these photo`s bring back memories of when i first started to drive trucks after coming out of the army in 1960 i have driven every one of them trucks and they call them the good old days i dont think so it was bloody hard work then all loading and unloading by hand not many forklifts about them days

Fantastic pics! I really like the one where the bloke is looking chuffed as heā€™s ready for the off, maybe after sheeting that load up, brings back memories!

Great pictures! Looking at the D series (Yuk) reminds me of the one and only time I saw an eight wheeler tipper variant. I bet none of those, if there were any others, have survived.