Just got class 1

just passed class 1 test so happy days now to go get a job is the hard part.

At the moment i am on job seekers allowance but what i dont understand if i get agency work with a day here and there will it effect my jsa allowance or am i allowed to work 16 hours a week with out it effecting it.

does anyone know how they work it out

:smiley: :smiley:

I assume it was ARTIC and not W&D?

yeah artic rog the other prob i have is that i got it in ireland and a lot of agencys wont accept it so prob will hve to change it over to a uk one

vinnyl:
At the moment i am on job seekers allowance but what i dont understand if i get agency work with a day here and there will it effect my jsa allowance or am i allowed to work 16 hours a week with out it effecting it.

does anyone know how they work it out

YUP - I do :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

… OH, sorry… you want me to tell you !!.. silly me… :blush: :blush: :wink: :wink: :laughing:

You are not allowed to stay on JSA if you do more than 16 hours in any one week OR earn over 16 X the minumum wage in any one week - you have to sign off and then sign on again -it’s a right pain in the [ZB].
If you earn anything less than the above then, apart from the first £5, it gets taken off the amount you get for JSA.

Assume JSA is £65 Per week
Earn £80
Take £60 off JSA
End up with £85
Less travel expenses to get to and from the job = £■■
End up with £■■

vinnyl:
yeah artic rog the other prob i have is that i got it in ireland and a lot of agencys wont accept it so prob will hve to change it over to a uk one

I assume you mean EIRE and not NI :question:

yeah eire licence

with the jsa you would need two days or more work in order for it to be worth your while otherwise you could end up working for £10 a day or less doesnt make sense

also i get rent allowance so would i lose that as well

thanks rog

well done vinnylon passing your class 1 hope some work come your way soon :slight_smile:

thanks del

vinnyl:
also i get rent allowance so would i lose that as well

This is an area of benefits that I have no sound knowledge of as it is usually means tested and usually dependant on various factors including total income

no probs rog thanks for ur help i will call down to the council on monday and ask them

hello mate. well done on C+E pass. as for jsa i was in the same position as you and here is how it was explained to me at the jc. first of all if it is over 16 hrs per week you gotta sign off jsa. if below then for every £5 you earn jsa will take £1 off your jsa. its a pain in the rear but if you get a weeks work you sign off then sign back on when it is finished or you want to claim jsa again. unless you are an immigrant or worship allah or some other demi god you’ll get nothing for your effort to get into work. :wink:

thats diff then what rog said so we say u earn 50 ur jsa goes down by 5 pound so in effect u earn 45 on top of ur jsa so thats okay not as bad as i thought it was

vinnyl:
thats diff then what rog said so we say u earn 50 ur jsa goes down by 5 pound so in effect u earn 45 on top of ur jsa so thats okay not as bad as i thought it was

I was referring to the UK JSA - it may be different in EIRE
What I said about the UK JSA is correct - I was talking to them about this last week :slight_smile:

its the uk jsa that i am on as i live in london although i had to come home to eire to sit the artic test there but live and used to work in london .

but it seems very stupid if that is correct what they tell u as that wont encourage anyone to work part time while they are waiting for full time work.

vinnyl:
but it seems very stupid if that is correct what they tell u as that wont encourage anyone to work part time while they are waiting for full time work.

Do I hear thousands of echos… :exclamation: :exclamation:

One benefit you can still fully keep whilst you earn within the rules I listed is ESA (old incapacity benefit)

thank god i dont apply for that !!!

are you doing any class 2 work with the agencies?? :smiley:

no not yet as i had only moved to the uk a few weeks ago but i approached three agencys and they all said they had work but wouldnt accept the irish licence and that i would have to change it to a uk one before they would take me on and i didnt really want to change it over but i couldnt until i had sat the artic test anyhow