John Lewis driving assesments. What are they like?

Hi all.

I’ve been invited along for one on Sunday, for the role of an agency driver. I’ve been told by one of the agencies involved that it’s quite a substantial ordeal. The driving test’s 3 hours long and lots of questions regarding “recent changes in drivers vehicle checks legislation”, which if they do exist, I know sod all about, along with general tachograph law - and they’ve got their very own never knowingly undersold examiners to grill you with!

I’ve been out of driving for a few months since I ceased working for a bunch of cowboys and I’ve found it difficult to find a decent driving job at my age (24) and so decided to do some rebuilding at home in the meantime with my savings. So I’m a little bit rusty when it comes to the rules, regs and finite details which they love to focus on. I think I should be alright with my driving, I’ve always had good feedback from several assesments in the past, although that doesn’t rule out me making a complete plonker of myself by making a stupid mistake. I think this is going to be a bit of a “thrown into the deep end” situation for me! I’ll give it a shot though.

So if anyone on here’s done one of these recently, and can give me some pointers as to what I should revise and what they like to see I’d be very greatful.

Cheers, Matt.

manowar:
general tachograph law

Might be able to help with that bit -

EU DRIVER REGS

VOSA GUIDE

RT(WTD)R guide

manowar:
drivers vehicle checks

Is this the sort of thing you seek ?
PAGE 51 - just inside back cover

any good ?

ROG:

manowar:
general tachograph law

EU DRIVER REGS

VOSA GUIDE

RT(WTD)R guide

manowar:
drivers vehicle checks

any good ?

Blimey Rog that lot is more than the pilot of a 747 has to do before take off and he’s earning a lot more for that :open_mouth: :laughing: But it’s another good reason to be an owner driver as then I’ve only got to assess myself and do the driver CPC in my own time if I feel like it before I retire. :smiley:

Carryfast:

ROG:

manowar:
general tachograph law

EU DRIVER REGS

VOSA GUIDE

RT(WTD)R guide

manowar:
drivers vehicle checks

any good ?

Blimey Rog that lot is more than the pilot of a 747 has to do before take off and he’s earning a lot more for that :open_mouth: :laughing: But it’s another good reason to be an owner driver as then I’ve only got to assess myself and do the driver CPC in my own time if I feel like it before I retire. :smiley:

Retire seems the best option :wink:

This is the sure fire way to interest young blood to the industry, pass all the tests - how many is it now? 2 x theory then driving test(s) then apply for a job that you have been doing for donkeys only to find that some pimpled herbert in a glo-coat has a ruck of questions for you and HE probably doesn’t even have a licence to ride a moped yet but wants to judge you on your driving. :imp: :imp: :imp:

Hi Matt

while your out driving your John lewis examiner will give you a quiz, he’ll basically have this on his knee

he’ll flick through it and ask you random questions about it, and you have to answer exactly how its worded in the EU document not your Interpretation of it - catches a lot of potential JL drivers out when asked about drivers breaks and all they say is

“take 45’ after 4.5 hours on’t road, max 9 hours of drivin; a day up’t 10 hours 3 times a week” it dont say it using those words the EU book of tacho regs :grimacing: :grimacing:

brados:

Carryfast:

ROG:

manowar:
general tachograph law

EU DRIVER REGS

VOSA GUIDE

RT(WTD)R guide

manowar:
drivers vehicle checks

any good ?

Retire seems the best option :wink:

This is the sure fire way to interest young blood to the industry, pass all the tests - how many is it now? 2 x theory then driving test(s) then apply for a job that you have been doing for donkeys only to find that some pimpled herbert in a glo-coat has a ruck of questions for you and HE probably doesn’t even have a licence to ride a moped yet but wants to judge you on your driving. :imp: :imp: :imp:

Hah, you echo my doubts.

Thanks for that Rog, I didn’t think I’d need to go over everything, but after the chat and little paper test with the agency I had just now I now think that I better had!

I know it’s one for the laws and hours forum, but aparrently you can’t reduce the daily rest 3 times a week any more, now it’s only twice? That is according to the nice young lady at the agency who couldn’t mark my test as she’d lost the answer sheet :unamused:

Cruise Control:
Hi Matt

while your out driving your John lewis examiner will give you a quiz, he’ll basically have this on his knee

he’ll flick through it and ask you random questions about it, and you have to answer exactly how its worded in the EU document not your Interpretation of it - catches a lot of potential JL drivers out when asked about drivers breaks and all they say is

“take 45’ after 4.5 hours on’t road, max 9 hours of drivin; a day up’t 10 hours 3 times a week” it dont say it using those words the EU book of tacho regs :grimacing: :grimacing:

Thanks CC. What you’ve said is exactly what I’m fearing! I know the rules, albeit a little roughly, but explaining them in the official wording is something I’ll be woefully crap at. Bit annoying really, I went into driving hoping to avoid memorising catalogues of rules word for word. I wish they’d just give me a week or two in their wagon so I can show them what I’m like as a driver/employee.

Ho hum, what better way to spend a warm weekend than revising rules and regs :confused:

manowar:
Thanks for that Rog, I didn’t think I’d need to go over everything, but after the chat and little paper test with the agency I had just now I now think that I better had!

I know it’s one for the laws and hours forum, but aparrently you can’t reduce the daily rest 3 times a week any more, now it’s only twice? That is according to the nice young lady at the agency who couldn’t mark my test as she’d lost the answer sheet :unamused:

If she was very good looking then she is right - amend that - as a male I am always wrong (according to Mrs ROG) :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Reduction of daily rest is not PER WEEK anyway (according to the LGV theory book it is :open_mouth: ) it is between weekly rest periods

ROG:

manowar:

If she was very good looking then she is right - amend that - as a male I am always wrong (according to Mrs ROG) :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Reduction of daily rest is not PER WEEK anyway (according to the LGV theory book it is :open_mouth: ) it is between weekly rest periods

If she’s that good looking I just might make JL an offer to pull the zb trailer as a subby at a cut price East European rate and ask her if she’d like to look after my books as TM if she’s got a CPC and then she can do some overtime for me doing whatever else I could think of that needs sorting out. :smiley: