Agency assessment

I have just been offered a Class 1 assessment with an agency. I don’t know the details yet…Anybody taken one of these or have heard of somebody having done so etc.? What do they entail? Only driving or is there a theory part too? And is there anything I can do to prepare? I am a little worried about the drivingbecause I have only just passed my Class 1 as my earlier post explains. I look forward to your replies…

Ader1:
I have just been offered a Class 1 assessment with an agency. I don’t know the details yet…Anybody taken one of these or have heard of somebody having done so etc.? What do they entail?

I would assume rather than with the agency then it will be with a specific customer of the agency, as the agency are unlikley to have any wagons at their disposal to take you out in.

I’ve only ever had one of these, and it was a Tradeteam in Tadcaster. The bloke took me through some of the details of the job - showed me the running sheets and paperwork and all that stuff, asked me a few simple theory questions and then we went out on a 40 minute drive. The drive was almost like doing my driving test again (“please take the next turn on the left” and all that stuff). At the end I got a bollocking for not having two hands on the steering wheel all of the time (the truck was a volvo i-shift and I kept “resting” a hand on the gear lever out of habit) but he still “passed” me, probably at least in part as they were desperate for a drive the next day.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Thanks Repton. I must try and brushup on my theory then and hope driving goes OK…

Ader1:
Thanks Repton. I must try and brushup on my theory then and hope driving goes OK…

Theory ?

I’ve been assessed many a time due to being under 2 years and can’t remember being asked any theory…

Typically they run you around the block, a little reverse, maybe couple up and that’s about it.

Do it as you would your test, they’re only looking to make sure you’re not a prat, and you should be fine… And when they ask you “have you driven one of these before” say no, then there expectations will be zilch :wink:

Assessments vary very much from company to company, larger fleets like TNT are self insured so a certain standard of driving is required and must be approved by a representative of the company. In structure they can be similar to your driving test, especially the terminology used when giving instructions but you also will do well to have a more buisiness like approach to your driving than you did on your test as this will display confidence and skills needed to get a job done. Obviously have a bit of respect for speed limits, including around the yard and safety proceedures just to display that you are aware of the rules and can stick to them. Showing off your forward planning skills are also recommended because fuel economy will get you browny points. You will be asked to negotiate a variety of roads and situations from built up areas to major A roads then usualy on your return you will be required to reverse onto a bay.
Just remember to drive to the best of your ability for that hour and don’t stress yourself out, your driving is either good enough or it isn’t you have your licence and if this isn’t the job then another will come along, nerves don’t look good on assessment. I have done a lot of agency work, the flexibility suits me so you can understand that situations like this become par for the course so you soon treat them like a normal days work.
Theory is rare but not unheard of and usually involves relevent questions about the equipment you will be dealing with but if you don’t know then tell them it is better to admit ignorance than to make an allmighty [zb] up! :wink:
Good luck Ader , and let us know how you get on. :sunglasses: