Job application, slight problem

pavaroti:
Whats the problem useing agencys as references anyway? There as good as anyone if not better because will prove your flexibility and multi experience and will know you well if you have been with them a while…

I’ve got nothing to hide but I know agencies and don’t feel I can trust them, I’m guessing they wouldn’t want to lose me; I’ve made a few mistakes over the years but still have a good reputation and am always busy so must be “valued” even if they go out of their way not to show it! I wouldn’t put it past the slimy ■■■■■■■■ to slate me to keep hold of me.

Well they will get there bonus if you get a full time job as this is how they work

Just tell them you work for an agency and dont want to use them for a reference. Tell them you want a permanent job and dont want the agency to know yet because the agency will stop supplying you with work and you need an income.
I couldnt provide a reference for a job that insisted on a couple, because both companies had gone under, just put on the application form company ceased trading` where it asks for your reason for leaving. This also makes it seem like you would still be there if the said companies were still going.
If all else fails get the better half to knock up some headed paper on the computer, it takes all of five minutes. IE A.Smith haulage Services,etc. with a moblie no.(the wifes) then if somebody does ring up from the company she can always be the wife/planner of the o/d you worked for. :slight_smile:

marcustandy:

Grayham:
Do references ever get followed up these days?

Every time at our place and if there’s ‘no-one available’ then either the start date is delayed or the job offer withdrawn.

The reference follow-up is by an initial phone call, during which time the person is asked if they’ll confirm in writing what they’ve said on the phone and then a form is sent out through the post to them.

Only had a couple that I’m aware of where, at the mention of a follow-up in writing, they’ve become rather hesitant . . . . . probably made-up ‘John Smith Transport’ types me thinks!! :smiley:

mmmm…kettle and black come to mind

xtruckerlady:
mmmm…kettle and black come to mind

I don’t understand - please explain. :question:

Chas:

No one is daft enough to put down a contact who is going to give a bad referance are they ? (which is why I never ever gave them much faith

one bloke at my place borrowed a couple of grand of the boss for a deposit and rent on a flat 3 months later he done a bunk
about a month after a company rang up asking for a referance for him , the divvy ■■■■ had only gave the boss as a referance :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: