J.c finneys 1970s erf

i spent endless days n hours in finneys erfs as a child with my father,i remember going up the pennine hills with a full load and leaving all the other lorries struggling behind,my father always swore by the A series and LVS n he would not drive any other,he even turned down one of finneys dafs in the mid 70s to keep his erf,he was eventually killed at another firm driving the lorry he loved so much the erf.

Barry Waddy. HI do you remember one reg no S T C 500 C yours Barry Waddy

were they not green erf’s and had the same number reg and if i remember it was 500 correct me if i am wrong

As far as I remember Finneys from Tyldesley ran green ERFs,they had a night man who slept over at the Glen Hotel Chapelhall Airdrie 5 nights a week on a Manchester trunk.;this was in the 70s and it was an “A” Series ERF with the 180 Patricroft.

rickykirk:
i spent endless days n hours in finneys erfs as a child with my father,i remember going up the pennine hills with a full load and leaving all the other lorries struggling behind,my father always swore by the A series and LVS n he would not drive any other,he even turned down one of finneys dafs in the mid 70s to keep his erf,he was eventually killed at another firm driving the lorry he loved so much the erf.

Very sorry to hear about your father,I worked for Fergusons Transport Blyth and regulary loaded back off Finneys to Beechams or Cazalys transport in Newcastle,Finneys often loaded 5 or 6 loads a day from Fergusons back to lancashire daily on flats.They ran a good fleet of motors and there drivers were a good bunch of lads.I beleive the transport managers son Chris is running as an owner driver out of Cornwall.Seen him a few times at Fergusons Plymouth depot.

If you check into The North West Truck site you will find photographs etc which give quite a bit of information on J C Finney .

f troop:

rickykirk:

Very sorry to hear about your father,I worked for Fergusons Transport Blyth and regulary loaded back off Finneys to Beechams or Cazalys transport in Newcastle,Finneys often loaded 5 or 6 loads a day from Fergusons back to lancashire daily on flats.They ran a good fleet of motors and there drivers were a good bunch of lads.I beleive the transport managers son Chris is running as an owner driver out of Cornwall.Seen him a few times at Fergusons Plymouth depot.

thanks mate,yeah i remember also visiting beechams with my father,we also visited granny smiths near hindley[changed to romix foods late 70s,also we visited i believe colgate or palmolive somewhere in essex whilst at finneys,mainly my father did the birmingham runs and we went to hemel hempstead industrial and a trip to oxfordshire,we also did lots of trunk to scotland where we stopped at a very old gents house over night connected with finneys,he might of been called burt though im not sure,this was all in the 70s and all whilst at finneys,also the docks at trafford i think.did you work for fergys in the 70s or 80s cause i think finneys went right up into the 90s.

Hi Ricky, I was wondering are you any relation to ronnie Kirkpatrick, he and my dad were friends and worked at finneys in the sixties & early seventies.