Now then

HIYA . MR Bewick i remember those E R Fs from S & R Robinsons coming into Lever Bros Portsunlight . I would be a abount 14 at the time to young to be let into the factory with my dad .SO used to sit out side by gate house seen all there old A E C s going in and out then one day a new E R F came in i got talking to the driver .He told me it had a R Royce petrol engine disc brakes 7 0 m p h plus only 4 m p g it was for a special job .At to go from A to B before the load went cold just a little bit of usless info yours Barry Waddy

Cawthorn & Sinclair at Birtley had two of these ERFs, both on Thos Hedleys to become P&Gs later, the drivers loved them, but as you say they were more expencive to operate. than the deisels, Regards Larry.

There are two of them in Rush Green -

See E-R-F’s link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35455701@N03/5450797148/

What a sad sight. When they were new nothing could touch them. :frowning:

Hiya steve…has’nt the other 8 legger had the wheels robbed of it… i would say that the rear window is a after thought
we fitted a aluminum surround glass with wire reinforcement to pet reg lorries. i think brough was asking £3,500 for
one of the erf’s that was 5 years ago when i saw them…its a real pitty someone dos.nt get hold of one to restore.
someone posted a photo of the ERF when new it may be on the scrapbook site
John

grumpy old man:
Does anybody remember the 2 experimental ERF’s that S&R Rothwell had a lot of years ago. Better still, are there any photo’s? They had straight 8 Rolls Royce PETROL engines. They were painted yellow (on contract to Hedleys, Trafford Park). I never got to use one but the lads who did say they used to go up Standedge, loaded, like stabbed rats. They didn’t last long, fuel consumption was “not good” :smiley:

This would be the RR B81 engine as fitted in the Leyland Martian military spec.
I passed my driving test in one of these,that had the RR B80 straight 8 engine in,with a Wilson epicyclic gearbox.

Hiya …most of the ERF simon snorkel fire engines had a straight 8 petrol engine with the allison automatic gearbox
John

Hi All
When Southampton had its own Fire Service seperate from Portsmouth & Hampshire all their fire engines had RR petrols in 8s in the Dennis & ERF with 6s going in the Bedfords it was easy on parts as every thing fitted one another except cranks blocks & heads obviasally
Cheers Rich

3300John:
Hiya steve…has’nt the other 8 legger had the wheels robbed of it… i would say that the rear window is a after thought
we fitted a aluminum surround glass with wire reinforcement to pet reg lorries. i think brough was asking £3,500 for
one of the erf’s that was 5 years ago when i saw them…its a real pitty someone dos.nt get hold of one to restore.
someone posted a photo of the ERF when new it may be on the scrapbook site
John

I’ve not seen them to be honest but just remembered that ERF had posted a pic of one of them - albeit now fitted with a diesel

Hi Ian " bestbooties " was the Thornycroft mighty Antar fitted with the same petrol engine as I know they were fitted with R R s petrol engine in the 60s as I took a few tanks down to Salisbury plain and they loaded along side us at Leeds.
cheers Johnnie

Trev_H:
Didn’t Shell or BP run some of those also? It was the same with the gas turbine motors it was only the petrol companies that could afford the fuel !

I think this Shell ERF had the Rolls petrol engine …

The civilian version of the Antar was developed in the late 1940s as an oilfield vehicle for transporting pipes over rough ground.[1] They were of 6x4 layout (i.e. six wheels, four of them driven), with the front (steering) axle undriven and with twin wheels on both driven (rear) axles. The vehicle was designed from the outset for off-road use, like the earlier Scammell Pioneer and unlike the road-going Diamond T it was eventually to replace.

The engine, the Meteorite, was a cut-down V8 version of the V12 Rolls-Royce Meteor used in tanks, itself a non-aero version of the Merlin and made under licence by the Rover Co Ltd. Early Antars used the petrol version made by Rover and by the early 1950s the Rolls-Royce-manufactured diesel versions of the engine.
Cortesy of Wikepedia.

Does anybody remember the 2 experimental ERF’s that S&R Rothwell had a lot of years ago. Better still, are there any photo’s? They had straight 8 Rolls Royce PETROL engines. They were painted yellow (on contract to Hedleys, Trafford Park). I never got to use one but the lads who did say they used to go up Standedge, loaded, like stabbed rats. They didn’t last long, fuel consumption was “not good” :smiley:

grumpy old man:

hiya,
Bet there is’nt much difference in running costs in this day and age the price difference in diesel in those days being about a third the price of petrol now derv being more expensive than petrol maybe we’ll see a return to petrol engined “heavies”.
thanks harry long retired.

Didn’t Shell or BP run some of those also? It was the same with the gas turbine motors it was only the petrol companies that could afford the fuel !

Trev_H:

Steady on now “H” and Trev, you’ll set the “bold” Carryfast off on another mission promoting the advantages of “Big” Petrol engines. Seeing as he has failed spectacularly to generate any enthusiasm for the poxy DD.Cheers Dennis.