J&C Finney

240 Gardner:

Bewick:
Does anyone remember J&C Finney from Tyldsley ? Jimmy and Cliff they ran up and down to Scotland had a nice fleet of E.R.Fs

I well remember them loading out of Beecham at Little Hulton. Up to the late 80s, they were running 2800 DAFs up and down the road, but you could often see a pair of LV-cabbed ERFs loading trailers and shunting them back to their yard. I know that one of them was sold for preservation (HTC 500K from memory) but not in Finney’s livery.

most if not all their fleet of ERFs had 500 on the registration, but it did not begin there it was also on their DENNIS truck that they started with,
as to the RENAULT in the photo gallery whist it had 500 on the registration it was not one of their trucks

happy trucking

Yeah,Finney’s used to stay out at Miss Wilson’s at Fochabers Douglas Water often in the early 70s.

They used to get up to the north east quite a bit , they delivered some mineral water I think, they used to load back with paper from Blyth Harbour., to Convoys at Moorside Manchester, & sometimes Oswaldtwistle. 80/90s,

One of their 2800s was parked outside the house (next to the yard) for a long, long time after they packed up. It was slowly dissolving and (after a long while of not travelling along that road) it had gone.

I have a picture of some of their LVs as they were broken up at Walsh’s (the old yard)

found this on na3t

I known of two drivers who were brothers who lived in Penrith ( probably both retired now ) who worked for J & C Finney on day shift . Once saw a Finney"s ERF artic in Leith docks loading bales of Danish bacon for DBC Manchester , I think a son of Jack Finney called Mike is a salesman for a Renault truck dealer in Lancashire .

I remember Finneys of Tyldsley. They had a very smart fleet of motors and I remember they wrote a childs book featuring a truck from Finneys. The motors were all hand lettered and the rope on the front of the motors looked well.

shugg:
I known of two drivers who were brothers who lived in Penrith ( probably both retired now ) who worked for J & C Finney on day shift . Once saw a Finney"s ERF artic in Leith docks loading bales of Danish bacon for DBC Manchester , I think a son of Jack Finney called Mike is a salesman for a Renault truck dealer in Lancashire .

One of our long retired drivers,Don Johnson,a.k.a.“Miami Vice” from Morecambe used to drive for J.& C. Finney in earlier years.They mainly ran to and from Scotland so were able to employ drivers from up and down the A6/M6/A74 which I have no doubt greatly improved their operations at the time!! Cheers Bewick.

After they ceased operating there was a member of the family[cant remember who]ran to europe as owner driver[i think]for yrs in a renault magnum.
regards dave.

Carlc:
I remember Finneys of Tyldsley. They had a very smart fleet of motors and I remember they wrote a childs book featuring a truck from Finneys. The motors were all hand lettered and the rope on the front of the motors looked well.

yes all lettering and lining was by hand, the rope on the front is a STAFFORDSHIRE KNOT with a LANCASHIRE ROSE inset

happy trucking

dafdave:
After they ceased operating there was a member of the family[cant remember who]ran to europe as owner driver[i think]for yrs in a renault magnum.
regards dave.

you are correct, the RENAULT MAGNUM [as pictured in the J C FINNEY gallery was not in their fleet] and had a sister RENAULT
being run by one of the family on European work

happy trucking

shugg:

Jack Finney lives in Canada and has for many years after his national sevice, i don’t know if he had a son called Mike?

happy trucking

Bewick:

shugg:

One of our long retired drivers,Don Johnson,a.k.a.“Miami Vice” from Morecambe used to drive for J.& C. Finney in earlier years.They mainly ran to and from Scotland so were able to employ drivers from up and down the A6/M6/A74 which I have no doubt greatly improved their operations at the time!! Cheers Bewick.

other drivers JACK LEYLAND, ALAN CARTWRIGHT, TOMMY TAYLOR, BERT CLEMENSON

happy trucking

One of their drivers lived in Farnworth but I can’t remember his name.

jimstott:

Bewick:

shugg:

happy trucking

Carlc:

jimstott:

Bewick:

shugg:

happy trucking

I remember Alan (Cloggy) Cartwright in the late sixties when Finney’s used to stay in Lanark and used to go to the Old House Pub for a drink at night, also remember Geoff/ Mike Forrester who had a commercial Pilot’s licence but liked to drive instead.

I meet up with one of the Finney Family who has a vintage Foden occasionally at Vintage Rallies around the Northwest, and likes to chat with people who knew the old drivers.

I remember a mate of mine used to work for them in the 80s[i think]name of dave mc donnel,had a bad accident and broke his leg,lived in bolton.
regards dave.

Frankie Flintstone:

Carlc:

jimstott:

Bewick:

shugg:

happy trucking

I remember Alan (Cloggy) Cartwright in the late sixties when Finney’s used to stay in Lanark and used to go to the Old House Pub for a drink at night, also remember Geoff/ Mike Forrester who had a commercial Pilot’s licence but liked to drive instead.

I meet up with one of the Finney Family who has a vintage Foden occasionally at Vintage Rallies around the Northwest, and likes to chat with people who knew the old drivers.

yes Alan Cartwright AKA Cloggy always wore clogs, if i remember he was a short fellow and a bit pudgy, and always happy

i think you are referring to David Jimmy’s son, but have no knowledge of him owning a Foden■■?

happy trucking

Bewick:
Does anyone remember J&C Finney from Tyldsley ? Jimmy and Cliff they ran up and down to Scotland had a nice fleet of E.R.Fs

Yeh" Jim Finney was still doing a bit in the early 70s, used to see him at UG St Helens, bottle sheeted loads he was agile even then RIP

[album]Photo Storage

one of their ERFs after i repainted early 1960s

happy trucking

You can see this better.
transportphotos.com/road/photos (Bob Hobbs collection)
DAF 2800 J & C Finney VS01701.jpg