R F Brookes

Does anyone remember R F Brookes at Wigston Magna, got any pictures of the F10’s, they had flat tops and the semi high tops and last of all ERF’s before packing up. I worked for them for about 2 yrs but sadly no pictures

got no photo’s,but can still smell the pies when i drive by there :wink:

They ran alot of Gardners, including some E16’s with the big 6LYT, and some smaller 6LXDT powered E12’s and Sed-Atki’s. There would’nt of been much discount buying these Lorries, as Gardner power commanded an extra hefty premium to the chassis price. I believe that they were 100% ERF towards the end.
Chris.

I remember when at BOC we ended up with a couple of those F10’s. Dark brown in colour and boy could they go (a reg has just come into my head A426DUT - was that one of them by any chance?) I recall they also had a place down in Rogerstone. BTW was it Ken Scott who ran the transport at Wigston?

Tony Ruck was transport manager their as well,A426 was a good truck the best was B304 that went like stink. The Seddon Atkinson went to tony rucks two lads at P M Rucks in Ellistown that had a 290 Rolls in that and none of them could catch that. Mine was B296LJF don’t know what happened to that it went in p/x for a ERF

I’ve got some of my fathers time Harry Beese at Rogerstone. Seddon’s and Volvo’s. I will dig them out and post a few. Eddie Chesterman who now runs EC Transport popped into Bruntingthorpe where I work and he has a fantastic album full of these trucks if we can get him on here. Adrian

My regular run was from Wigston to Barnsley, then back to Wigston change trailors and down to Rogerstone arrive about 05.00 am go to bed and leave Rogerstone about 18.00 and back to Wigston via Hemel Hempstead, 3 times one week and twice the next on the 3 trips a week it would be a Sunday eve start straight to Rogerstone.
Would be great if you could post some pictures, thank you.
Regards
Kev

ABC 273Y nipping home for dinner at Rogerstone. Shared between Ken Driscoll and my father.

A992 GJF that went back and forth to Leicester every day with one of the first tri axle fridges I remember seeing next to ABC273Y in 1985 at Rogerstone. You can just see the old Sherpa in the corner that did the odd pallet here and there also. Adrian

A675 HRY the closet thing to a personal plate for Harry.

OFP 547W. My younger brother jumping in at Rogerstone just before the dual carriageway sneaking a ride up to Christian Salvesen’s Elstree, swap trailers with Keith Martin (RIP sadly), fire off through London down the Old Kent Rd to Hygrade Meats in the east End and back to Rogerstone. Nice shift that, start at dinner time and back for midnight.

A675 HRY in the street

my god they bring back some good memories I have driven all of them at some stage, nice to see the seddon in its old colours I have a picture of it in PM Rucks colours.

The other Gardner 240 Atki 400 sleeper OFP 546W.

Kev, F1017 16 speed flying machine 92mph was reached on the M4 once when M&S delivery was running 4 hours late for Faversham. It showed 80mph on the tacho but working on the rpm’s my dad worked it out that he hit 92mph. Severe rocket followed but Lenny Underwood the TM at Rogerstone accepted he told my dad to make up as much time as he could…

Kev, OFP 546W repainted and PDU 965R the Gardner 180 day cab down at Wern Industrial Estate.

ABC 273Y it had a nice air horn Kev…

A675 HRY again, the white mudwings were distinctive. I thought Kev the ABC 271 and 273Y F1017’s with the 16 speed boxes were a touch quicker than this 8 speed F10 but after spending my childhood limping up the St Julian’s and Bath banks on the M4 in Guy’s, Ford D’s and Atki Borderers the Volvo’s freighted went up them like a missile in comparison.

I think the 16 speed were better on the hills, but the 8 speeds were better on the flat, all the names you speak of I remember, they were good lads at Rogerstone I spent a lot of time on that bit of waste ground at the side of the factory and in the canteen. I wonder what happened to all the Volvo’s and if someone has one in preservation. It was a really good job and they had a book full of drivers names waiting for a job and the kit was always spot on, some old trailers but all clean and tidy.

phantom:
I think the 16 speed were better on the hills, but the 8 speeds were better on the flat, all the names you speak of I remember, they were good lads at Rogerstone I spent a lot of time on that bit of waste ground at the side of the factory and in the canteen. I wonder what happened to all the Volvo’s and if someone has one in preservation. It was a really good job and they had a book full of drivers names waiting for a job and the kit was always spot on, some old trailers but all clean and tidy.

the Volvo “HRY” ended up down at BOC Patchway and the drivers named it Henry. I think the one of the night men used it most (poss John or Alan Brice) seem to recall it was a bit quick!