It's not the law

i’m trying to get my son and daughter there first car insurance. did you know that “It’s the law, that a driver with only third party cover, may not drive between 11pm, and 5am?”.
:laughing: :laughing: what a load of crap :laughing: :laughing:
well, that’s what these muppets on the end of the phone tell them. i’m not just talking about one company, they’re all at it.
so, it’s not only RDC waiting rooms that come up with BS stories, it’s happening in the insurance industry too. i think i’ll contact DEFRA, and warn them about the posibility of a pandemic of epic proportions coming our way. :laughing:

i should have got him to ask. “is the car insured if it has no tax”? that’s always a good one.

Couple of things:

Pistonheads forum like a good trolling!!

Tell them you know people in the Bradford 3 area who are uninsured, is it OK to go down this route :laughing:

Finally get on to DEFRA

Gpoopd luck with insuring your kids on their first policy, hope you gotta a good bank balance :wink:
with regard to the myths, thats a good one about the driving ban between 11pm and 5am…ha ha, if youve only got 3rd party insurance.

With regard to the is my car insured if it hasnt got tax i think part of that is kind of true, but in the eyes of the insurers. My policy states that to remain insured, i have to comply with regard to the servicing and up keep of the vehicle, and if my vehicle was not taxed or mot`d, they could in effect refuse to pay out for any claim i may have, and thats just a get out clause, but it would be nice to know if other companies have this rule, i am with the co-op by the way.
Also did you know that it is illegal not to have insurance on a vehicle that is parked on the highway/driveway or any public place unless a sorn has been obtained/applied for.

But with ‘Continuous Insurance Enforcement’ that they were on about means that the insurance must run all the time whether the vehicle has tax or not, is SORNed or not etc.

If you are using a vehicle on a public road you need the correct insurance, tax and MOT. But if one of the latter has expired then you still need the insurance even if it is parked up.

I once had a 4x4 insurance policy who told me that driving on green lanes (unsurfaced vehicular rights of way) was not covered and therefore the insurance would be invalid. At the time I got someone to help me who spoke to them and pointed out to them what they were saying. Apparently what they meant was that driving off-road and I wasn’t covered, except they already had that clause in there.

So, yeah, they try all sorts on :frowning:

However, it may part of their rules/conditions for issuing the insurance. You could offer such things as “So you’re saying my Son can’t go to work at 5am and take the car” or “so he can’t work overnight” yada yada. I’m sure you’d work something out :wink:

limeyphil:
i’m trying to get my son and daughter there first car insurance. did you know that “It’s the law, that a driver with only third party cover, may not drive between 11pm, and 5am?”.
:laughing: :laughing: what a load of crap :laughing: :laughing:
well, that’s what these muppets on the end of the phone tell them. i’m not just talking about one company, they’re all at it.
so, it’s not only RDC waiting rooms that come up with BS stories, it’s happening in the insurance industry too. i think i’ll contact DEFRA, and warn them about the posibility of a pandemic of epic proportions coming our way. :laughing:

i should have got him to ask. “is the car insured if it has no tax”? that’s always a good one.

as you say RDC crap from the mouths of babes.

There are various tips and ideas to keep the cost down.

Do not consider fronting, it is fraud.

Insure yourself or the wife as a second driver. Insure it in the girls name with the boy being a named driver. Consider fitting a box that records the driving and times. Do passplus, join a car club, classic cars or the like who may have a decent deal with a company.

My Tip, consider buying a very small car that you cannot get 5 teenagers in whilst smoking herbal cigarettes :wink:

Road tax is crap, without insurance you cannot tax a car, it doesn’t become uninsured when you sorn it, nor does it become uninsured when the tax expires.

When you do get a decent quote. Read the Policy document before paying them.

theres no way round it...youve just gotta pay and look happy.if you insure the car in your girls name and your boy is only a named driver he will not earn any ncd.
the first year is the biggy,you get 30% off for the first year,then 10% a year till you`ve got full ncd (60%)

limeyphil:
“It’s the law, that a driver with only third party cover, may not drive between 11pm, and 5am?”.

Someone has their wires crossed, whilst it is not against the law, there are benefits if young drivers can avoid driving during said hours.

ikubeinsurance.com/Learner-D … s-It-Work/

i’ve found a very nice policy. maximum 1.2 engine, third party only, £500 excess. if you have an accident, and it’s your fault, then that’s it, you’ve had your chance, and they won’t continue to insure you.
and it’s prety cheap.

the cost of insurance is ridiculous. how are they supposed to get experience? or do they just get a car licence, then a hgv licence, then get some experience?

limeyphil:
the cost of insurance is ridiculous. how are they supposed to get experience? or do they just get a car licence, then a hgv licence, then get some experience?

Statistically young and inexperienced drivers will have an accident, that’s why it is so expensive.

Not much has changed really, my first car was a very second hand Mini Van, back in 1970.
The van cost £50 and so did the insurance.

These days, you might buy a Corsa for £1500 and the insurance will very likely still be the same again.

I don’t think insurance companies actually make much, if any profit on motor insurance, despite what we may believe.

Regards,
Nick.

Young driver insurance has been dear for years in the mid 90s I paid 600 quid for a old mini but I’ve heard of youngsters getting quoted 3 or 4 grand on corsas etc even with inflation I’d say that’s dearer.
Then again insurance has gone through the roof full stop the last few years.

i paid £1000 fully comp on a astra estate turbo diesel for my first car it been goin down since sayin young and inexperienced drivers Will have is pure ■■■■■■■■ they are more likely to have a accident my little bro been driving 2 years never had a accident i have been driving 5 years never had a accident next door neighbours daughter driving since 17 she is now 21 again not had a accident

the cost of insurance is silly i found it cheaper to insure a mondeo 1.8 or a cavalier cheaper than a 1.1 saxo my little bro has a corsa 1.2 with a 4 speed gerabox and his insurance is £1200 yet for him to be insured on my 2.0 turbo diesel vectra its £900

ncooper:
I don’t think insurance companies actually make much, if any profit on motor insurance, despite what we may believe.

telegraph.co.uk/finance/your … surer.html

My best tip for young drivers is to buy a classic car. If you get one with a club you can join like MG or Cortina, then they can get insurance, even for young drivers, quite reasonably.

The theory is that classic cars are usually someone’s pride and joy, so they take more care.

Series 3 diesel Land Rover always a good one to start them off on. :laughing:

Slow, cheap to insure, totally “uncool” … until it floods or snows :laughing:

Series 3 diesel Land Rover always a good one to start them off on.

I would have thought so too, until lad in our village tried to get insurance for his series, spent a couple of years rebuilding it, its original no modifications other then security measures, passed his test last year, tried flux,NFU ect refused to quote or quotes were way too high… though they will insure him for 30k of j deere■■?

I always thought it would be a good idea to limit the speed for the first year to maybe bring the insurance down a bit, I wonder if any motoring body has thought of promoting this.

There was a driver on here who had a son with a landrover and he was going to work for CAT or ■■■■■■■■ I seem to remember he had rebuilt that and used it because insurance was cheap.

Although I don’t imagine it is the ideal choice of transport for school proms :laughing:

dle1uk:
Series 3 diesel Land Rover always a good one to start them off on.

I would have thought so too, until lad in our village tried to get insurance for his series, spent a couple of years rebuilding it, its original no modifications other then security measures, passed his test last year, tried flux,NFU ect refused to quote or quotes were way too high… though they will insure him for 30k of j deere■■?

My series 3 used to cost me £88 / year fully comp on classic, only 2000 miles though.

My Sierra XR4x4 2.9i was £118 / year fully comp on classic.

At the same time as these, my Renault Scenic Diesel that I had at the time was £630 / year fully comp with my mum on the insurance, and my RF900 was £128 / year fully comp :unamused:

Classics are cheap my mates got a 1986 capri pays 90 quid a year hes 25 with 3 points and one year ncb

Driveroneuk:
Series 3 diesel Land Rover always a good one to start them off on. :laughing:

Slow, cheap to insure, totally “uncool” … until it floods or snows :laughing:

Yep. Although I started off with a S3 petrol landie. £500 in the 90s with 8 points on my licence just after I passed, but ace in snow. Ran on Deestone 7.50x16’s :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Lovely learning experience, great fun too.