What a jobsworth

i went to the olympics and came across a complete idiot.

i went to the first security checkpoint on the m11, no problem there.
then i went to the sight.
“no come in” said the taliban man.
“why” says me.
“tax out of date” said taiban man.

his supervisor came and explained to me that if you are not displaying a valid tax disk, then your vehicle is not insured.
i expalined to him that he is a [zb]ing idiot, and he knows [zb] all about traffic law, that is why he is a security gaurd. it is [zb] all to do with an insurer if you have road tax or not. but an insurer is unlikely to pay out if you have no MOT.

they only let me on site when our office faxed over a copy of the tax disc.

talk about over the top,

you have 14 days or is it 7 days after the tax runs out to get a new one and if you are still driving with an old tax disc after 28 days your car,lorry or bus will be lifted.

only way tax is linked to insurance is when you go to the post office to buy one and thats when you need insurance to get tax etc, As you say Phill, they are security guards and no NAFF all

its one of those moments where you wish you had mr T or chuck norris in your cab with you, theyd soon sort them out lol.

you must have a valid tax disc displayed on the vehicle to use it on the public roads. There is no 7 or 14 days grace’

mickyblue:
talk about over the top,

you have 14 days or is it 7 days after the tax runs out to get a new one and if you are still driving with an old tax disc after 28 days your car,lorry or bus will be lifted.

only way tax is linked to insurance is when you go to the post office to buy one and thats when you need insurance to get tax etc, As you say Phill, they are security guards and no NAFF all

My step daughter fell foul of this two weeks ago, officer pointed out that not displaying a tax disc negates your insurance and that there is no ‘official’ policy of 14 days grace. Luckily for her it had fallen on the floor (as opposed to not being there at all) and he just cautioned her.

i know exactly what my boss would have told me to do if that happend to me

Harry Kyng:
My step daughter fell foul of this two weeks ago, officer pointed out that not displaying a tax disc negates your insurance

No it doesn’t, the “officer” is a t!t. Read your insurance policy.

I believe the “Tax disk” is not a motoring offence per se but a taxation offence but then again, given a loophole watch them insurance companies bolt.

whisky777:
you must have a valid tax disc displayed on the vehicle to use it on the public roads. There is no 7 or 14 days grace’

mickyblue:
talk about over the top,

If you tax a vehicle on-line before the old tax expires then you can drive the vehicle for 5 days from the expiry date of the old tax disc without displaying a current disc.

Information here.

There is a lot of cobblers talked about insurance, driving while drunk, carrying passengers, no tax, bald tyre, aftermarket exhaust, no mot etc.

The vehicle is insured at least 3rd party, that means that any third party has a claim, whatever.

With most of the above examples, a claim may be delayed or reduced if there are circumstances like that, but the insurance certificate is still valid. It is all in the policy details.

i,m sorry limeyphil but having a security management background i would have done or expected the guards to do the same…

having no tax would have rang some alarm bells to me, don,t know the details ie delivering/collecting ect, if collecting maybe truck was nicked or something else maybe■■? if no tax ok maybe oversight by the trucks owners or maybe simply cannot afford to tax vehicle which would ring bells with has the transport company been up to date with the vehicles servicing? any faults on the vehicle that may not have been repaired ect which may deem the vehicle unsafe.

I know alot of security guys out there can be knobs I come across them as well but what alot of folk don,t understand is the minute there is a problem on site the blame finds its way to the security guy.

someone did drive onto the site last month with a lowloader and pinch a jcb :open_mouth:

dle1uk:
i,m sorry limeyphil but having a security management background i would have done or expected the guards to do the same…

having no tax would have rang some alarm bells to me, don,t know the details ie delivering/collecting ect, if collecting maybe truck was nicked or something else maybe■■? if no tax ok maybe oversight by the trucks owners or maybe simply cannot afford to tax vehicle which would ring bells with has the transport company been up to date with the vehicles servicing? any faults on the vehicle that may not have been repaired ect which may deem the vehicle unsafe.

I know alot of security guys out there can be knobs I come across them as well but what alot of folk don,t understand is the minute there is a problem on site the blame finds its way to the security guy.

But that isn’t what the security guys job is. He is there to keep thieves and arsonists out, to keep an eye on the 6’’ nails and wheelbarrows on site. The Police, VOSA and the traffic wardens will pick up on the lack of tax as will the ANPR cameras. The security guy isn’t qualified to do a safety inspection on the truck, half of them cannot speak English.

dle1uk:

Uh?

sorry wheel nut, security guys job isnt what you and most think it is… why have security at RDC,s when they are just sat at the gate booking traffic? evrything what happens on that site will lay at the guards door if it goes wrong, yes usual theft ect, but emergency evacuation procedure, fire flood ect, and the main one health and safety of all who are on that site, so if joe bloggs the security guy allows what he may deem as an unsafe vehicle on that site and an accident happens then it will fall at the security guys feet…

when anything happens the first words are normally “well what are security doing?”

why isnt anyone asking why the vehicle was on the road with no tax in the first instance??

duh,

if a company cannot afford to tax a vehicle can they afford to make repairs? service the vehicle ect? even pay for a decent driver?
we all hear of cowboy companies which operate this way, so if a security fellow reports this then surely this is best for all…

dle1uk:
sorry wheel nut, security guys job isnt what you and most think it is… why have security at RDC,s when they are just sat at the gate booking traffic? evrything what happens on that site will lay at the guards door if it goes wrong, yes usual theft ect, but emergency evacuation procedure, fire flood ect, and the main one health and safety of all who are on that site, so if joe bloggs the security guy allows what he may deem as an unsafe vehicle on that site and an accident happens then it will fall at the security guys feet…

when anything happens the first words are normally “well what are security doing?”

why isnt anyone asking why the vehicle was on the road with no tax in the first instance??

So a bloke on a 12 hour shift earning minimum wages has more say & power then the RDC site manager or company director?

You mentioned earlier that you have come across some security guards who are knobs, well I must have come across a lot more. And you ask about Phils road tax, yet you will not question the Spanish truck driver or Pole who comes on site :open_mouth:

Didn’t Phil mention that his company faxed over a copy of the disc

security more power then manager? maybe not power but responsibility to pass any problems up the ladder, most sites will have sop,s or site instructions written by the site manager or the company, as phil said the guy told him he could not come onto site as vehicle was untaxed, the supervisor also came across and said the same.

Phil then contacted his office and a fax was sent of the copy of the tax disc, so maybe the firm Phil works for admitted they cocked up,

And you ask about Phils road tax, yet you will not question the Spanish truck driver or Pole who comes on site

phil has,nt mentioned anything about poles?

as for wages I,m earning less now driving then I was 5 years ago working as a security officer at a university doing the same hours per week…
but yes some are minimum wages same as some drivers jobs but there are many security jobs paying alot more…

“With most of the above examples, a claim may be delayed or reduced if there are circumstances like that, but the insurance certificate is still valid. It is all in the policy details.”

says it all really, if the vehicle was involved in some kind of accident on site and you were hurt and making a claim? who would you blame.

dle1uk:
duh,

if a company cannot afford to tax a vehicle can they afford to make repairs? service the vehicle ect? even pay for a decent driver?
we all hear of cowboy companies which operate this way, so if a security fellow reports this then surely this is best for all…

i’ve not been to the office for a long time. and the tax disc was sat on the desk.

None of what you are saying makes sense. The responsibility of the guards is, or always was, to keep a log of who goes in and goes out, and who brings what in and takes what out. The condition or legality of the vehicle should never be left to the guards. If they had any doubt about legality then they should allow the vehicle access then call the relevant authorities, surely? Otherwise, you are suggesting that these guards have as much legal authority as a serving law officer, and we all know that most of them are not anywhere close to that.

As for the additional responsibilities you list, such as evacuation,most of the guards I have encountered in my 20 years on the roads would only ever be effective in an evacuation situation if the soles of their shoes were reflective and hi viz because most of them would run like the proverbial bats out of hell at the first sign of trouble. At least then we would be able to follow them.

When I drove for Tesco, the farmers were busy threatening us with nasty things, and the guards in the RDC were battening down the hatches and staying put. What’s the betting there were a few out of date tax discs on the tractors there? Nothing was said to them. I reckon me and this guard would have had some serious conversation, somehow.