IS THIS FAIR ?

I wa stoped onthe m4 at tormanton weighbridge back in january, by the police and found to be 1700 kgs over on the drive axel, the truck being a 4*2 unit with a tri axel fridge trailer loaded with 22 pallets of grapes ex Bristol fruit market . nothing i can do about the over load offence as its as they call it an absolote offence. but the bit iam uncomfertable with is thepolice officer asked me if i lived in holland as i was driving a Dutch reg truck for a Dutch firm ,when i told him i lived in the UK he said that was unluky as the cps would prosacute me in court if i was not living in the uk they wouldnt bother the other forigne trucks ,5 in total that had over loads were allowed to offload the eccess weight or move it of the drve axels with out being fined or even taken to court !! having taken legal advice on this they agree that i am being discrimanated aganst but its not worth fighting the matter in court. have pointed this out in mitigation but i wont hold my breath!! Iknow that the old way would have been to take these forign drivers to a local court or hold them till the next day , why dont the police bother any more .to much papper work involved ? or is it easyer to deal with uk residents to collect the fines ? give me your thoughts on the matter :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

What would happen if where over the waters■■?

having driven in EUROPE for about 15 years ,the last 6 for a Dutch company i have never got away lightly for being a forigner most countries will fine you on the spot or if its serious lock you up untill you can be tried in court. Holland as for the last 5 years been installing moor weighbidges in the country ,forigne drivers and dutch drivers are treated the same. I thought the laws were EEC laws the sme for all EEC countries !!!

Got the same problem here in Germany, the East Blockers get away with anything for 30 Euros :imp:

Living in the UK we are all easy targets as they know where to find us using your licence address and the details that you give.
Perhaps next time you should tell them you live in holland ? Then see if they can be bothered to prove you don’t !! :smiley:

All these things are true no wonder when you speak to the yogurts they all like coming to GB as they dont have to buy fuel or pay for the roads or any fines as we have to do, as i found out when i was stopped at Leatherhead VOSA overweight by 1000kg on the gross and 1500kg on the pin weight even though the drive axle was only 400kg over i was the only brit and i got cautioned followed up with a snotty letter from vosa the two yogurts who out of hours got parked up and the 19 year old dutchman who was overwt,overlenth and underage they did not know what to do with him :open_mouth:
I had to wait 3 hrs for a 44ton unit to take my trailer and by then the cloggy had gone :question: .
klunk

something has to be done iam now taking the matter up with my MP ,have all so thought of reporting the police officer who told me this to his inspector for racial discrimanation as i think this is what it comes down to ?

Sorry to hear your story Andy and good luck in Court, but at the end of the day you’re onto a loser playing the discrimination card on this one.

The problem is not the Police or VOSA not wanting to prosecute foreigners, they do, the problem is with the UK legal system. Most Courts will not accept that posting a summons to a foreign address is ‘good service.’ There is fat chance of getting a foreign enforcement agency to serve a summons so the only option is to take the driver to Court straight away. Some Courts will allow this, particularly in areas where their are a lot of foreign drivers checked and found to be commiting offences. Most Courts will not deal with cases in this way. The only option is then to arrest the driver and take to Court, trouble is that most offences we can commit are non arrestable.

The situation should get resolved later this year. Much of what VOSA / Police currently deal with in Court will be Fixed Penalty, a driver with a confirmable UK address gets 28 days to pay (or contest the Notice). A driver with no UK address will pay a ‘deposit’ on their Court case, the vehicle goes nowhere until the deposit is paid; Britain catches up with the rest of Europe. :smiley:

22 pallets…So presumably that left a space on the back for 2. Looks like the gross was OK but just needed the front pallets jiggling around.That was bad luck . We used to have this prob loading tomatoes out of Newhaven but the good thing was the old hands showed how it was done…You have to put it down to experience & bite the bullet. Put it another way,even if the other guys were overweight the bill caught you & have the evidence so no matter which way you wriggle they can nick you. Back to your original question;The answer is ‘No’!

something has to be done iam now taking the matter up with my MP ,have all so thought of reporting the police officer who told me this to his inspector for racial discrimanation as i think this is what it comes down to ?

why?
are you black and they are white or vice versa
you can’t use the race card just because the others aren’t british

Its not about race i think its more about the law being aplied to every body fairly ,not just to those they know they can track down at a later date to collect the fines imposed by the court s, i thought that the so called tachograph and other construction and use laws were EEC laws which applied to all EEc countries?and anyone from those countries .Untill we have on the spot fines in this country and the police and vosa enforce these to all forign firms and drivers it will always be the same.Its ashame that the police see it as to much trouble and to much papper work to do this now !

biggusdickusgb:

why?
are you black and they are white or vice versa
you can’t use the race card just because the others aren’t british

Racial discrimination is not just about the colour of your skin, but can also be about your nationality.