Is this an F88?

I saw this about 9 years ago in The Former Yugoslavia. It was not far from Split on the big hill climing out North. Judging by where it is it may still be there !

With the full width grille and air stack on the right it would appear to be an F89

Stupot:
With the full width grille and air stack on the right it would appear to be an F89

Thanks.Wish I’d gone for a closer look now but was a little busy.

Stupot:

And also a left ■■■■■■.

If that is a double drive rear bogie you’re all wrong coz it’s an FB89! If it’s a tag which it probably is then it’s still an 89, unless someone did a grill swap on an 88, deffo not a 290 though, because, altogether now ‘they were UK only as you couldn’t get a RHD 89’ It’s probably an ex Charlie SAD or Hungarocamion, they had loads of them at one time.

To further confirm my sadness, the genuine F88 290 had the flap under the grille angled out towards the top to meet up with the thicker grille that it used, still the best looking lorry ever made & before that debate takes over this thread, that’s a fact not a question :laughing:

There are also 2 other tell tales that it is a 1976 / 77 model of the F89.

The air stack doesnt matter as all the range had the stack at the same side, the main thing that will date the truck is the wiper blades :stuck_out_tongue: Another telltale is the bumper bar, although that could easily be changed by some bulls hitter :wink:

The Volvo used 2 types of black grille, the full width, pictured or the narrower grille as wide as the flap. Before that is was a chrome cheesegrater grille.

The 290 F88 was as mentioned only built for the UK market because Volvo couldnt convince the bosses they needed 330 horsepower for 32 tonnes

A couple of photos of old volvos the first is a 240hp and the second is the famous 290 flying machine with crap brakes

You can always tell the difference between F89 which were alway left hand drive (due to the engine lying over slightly leave ing no room for a gearstick) and the F88 290 by the thickness of the grill ,the 89 had the same thin one as the 240 but the same width as the 290.And the 290 grill was 3 inch thick

Thank’s for the info guy’s

Your photo is of an F89,these are photo,s of my early F88 and my later 290, the 290 had a round air stack and was as stated by others on here for the uk market,i think they w ere something to do with ailsa trucks the uk dealership?

You can see a couple of major differences on Boyzeez and klunks pictures. Notice the wiper blades on Boyzee early 240. These were the infamous air wipers that would jam up when it rained :stuck_out_tongue: Also on both of the 240’s you can see the foot operated air flaps on each side of the grille, these disappeared in the 290 and later models.

The other sad thing I remember was the position of the long overdrive switch on the side of the fuse box cover on the 16 speed box. :blush:

Ailsa Trucks were the UK importer, the company set up by Jim McKelvie who our own Willie Mac worked for.

Ailsa Trucks became Volvo Trucks when they eventually started assembling the trucks in Irvine

Your photo is of an F89

Its not LHD, Ive never seen a RHD F89.All F89s were LHD weren’t they ?
Gud pics tho!

routier:

Your photo is of an F89

Gud pics tho!

It is left hand drive look at the air stack on rhd the air stack would be on the left not as this one on the right also the wipers are positioned for lhd.

I have a feeling that it might be a G89. :grimacing:

A quick look at Volvo’s own website might help CLICK THIS TO GO TO VOLVO :wink:

:frowning: I used to drive a 240 with air operated wipers too… :smiling_imp:

dd, the G88/89 had a set forward front axle, the cab steps were then placed behind the wheel, these are still in front, so I’m thinking its an F89…6x4. IMHO

Trubrit:
dd, the G88/89 had a set forward front axle, the cab steps were then placed behind the wheel, these are still in front, so I’m thinking its an F89…6x4. IMHO

Hi Trubrit, And I’m thinking that you might well be right, cos I’d forgotten about the set-forward front axle on the “G.” Hmmm…

What ever it is, if its still there some one should rescue it!!!

routier:

Your photo is of an F89

Gud pics tho!

Make your mind up,LHD or RHD?
If you look at the wipers,they are always offset to the drivers side,that would make it a LHD!

The UK didn’t get the true 330 bhp F89 because the engine would not fit under a RHD cab. The 290 model was a UK special which featured an uprated version of the 240 engine. It was initially unreliable because the cylinders were porous due to being over bored. It took some time for Volvo to admit the problem and provide a remedy.

There must be hundreds of these trucks waiting to be rescued, especially in Poland and Hungary as they were the mainstay of Betz, Hungarocamion and PeKaEs (PKS) until Raba started assembling their own MAN and DAF model range.

There are a lot of stretched stories about drivers having an F89 when they came out of the SAS. :wink:

Some of them had a left hand drive F88 and were still the kings of the road, the only thing to come close was the 110 / 140 Scania. We were still building Mandators and Mastiffs with scaffold boards for a bed.

Wheel Nut:
There must be hundreds of these trucks waiting to be rescued, especially in Poland and Hungary as they were the mainstay of Betz, Hungarocamion and PeKaEs (PKS) until Raba started assembling their own MAN and DAF model range.

There are a lot of stretched stories about drivers having an F89 when they came out of the SAS. :wink:

Some of them had a left hand drive F88 and were still the kings of the road, the only thing to come close was the 110 / 140 Scania. We were still building Mandators and Mastiffs with scaffold boards for a bed.

Where are the stretched stories then ?