W.Humphreys of London 111 and F88

harry:
You can also see from the badge on the side. ( F88 ) :laughing:

sesdxcfd.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26209

volvo runner:

harry:

Found these pics id taken at aTruckfest show at Peterboro many moons ago.

That old F89 has a Scania air deflector. I had a Swiss F12 with same . Didn’t know until the Swiss drivers fell about laughing when I turned up…

thanks some wonderful photos,

I see its a F88 and a half. Where that front flap below the grill is sticking out means its an uprated F88 engine.

Nice photos of some golden oldies :slight_smile:
I often wondered why that front flap stuck out at the top :question:
The F88 i drove was an earlier model, the front flap was flush with the cab and it had a smaller chromed grill.
No chrome exhaust stack either :frowning:

charles

That F89 is an F88, you can from the wipers that it is RHD.

The Black Grill was a 290 F88 with a 16 speed splitter box. The Chrome grill was a 240.

Early F88 had vacuum operated wipers too.

I would be so bold to suggest that the truck pictured has a new 290 grille and lower flap as the flap fitted flush when the cab wasn’t tilted.

The 240 chrome grille did tend to rust quite badly.

Kindle,The Scania in the 1st pic looks very much like the famous Pink Panther truck of the same era (but it’s got a different number plate so obviously not the same truck). The lights and ‘haulin ■■■’ badge on the grille are almost the same! Must have been a late 70’s thing…

Incidentally on the pic below, which was posted by another member ages ago, I notice that the original Pink Panther has a Suffolk reg number.

harry:

Its a bit of a giveaway harry eh? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That old pink 'un there… Did that belong to one of Visbeens drivers…? A driver called Andy…? I heard about it but I never met the beast,until now.
It looks like someones Hymn to Pimms & Advocaat…No wonder you don’t drink ,Andy… A Green Chartreuse & Lager mix…? Cor, Blimey mate… can you do that in pink…? Its the worst truck I have ever seen…/Light blue touch paper & retire… :laughing: :laughing:

i always thought the pink panther was humphries truck, or am i getting confused with the scarlt pimpernell??

incidentally, where is the pink panther now, anyone know??

euromat:
i always thought the pink panther was humphries truck, or am i getting confused with the scarlt pimpernell??

It was his pink one that popped up in Eastenders now and again was it not?*

*Worded like that to leave room for comedy replies :wink: :smiley:

The Pink Panther is ex-Russell Davies and was a Humphreys wagon.

It’s apparently still sat behind the barn in Wales (as depicted in the picture)

Wheel Nut:
The Black Grill was a 290 F88 with a 16 speed splitter box. The Chrome grill was a 240.

Early F88 had vacuum operated wipers too.

Not true i’m afraid Wheelnut { gonna sound like an anorak here } the last of the 240 F88s from 1974 also had the smaller grille but were black plastic like the 290s and had the electic wipers mounted at the bottom of the screen. My dad had a M reg 240 and it was far quieter and alot more reliable than the P reg 290 that replaced it. Spent most of my summer holidays as a lad travelling with my dad in F88s and still think they look the biz.

R143-500:
Not true i’m afraid Wheelnut { gonna sound like an anorak here } the last of the 240 F88s from 1974 also had the smaller grille but were black plastic like the 290s and had the electic wipers mounted at the bottom of the screen.

You are 100% correct, you did sound like an anorak. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

euromat:

incidentally, where is the pink panther now, anyone know??

Euromat, see this thread:

http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14630&highlight=panther

By the way, looking at Pic no 1 at the top of the page, how many people would drive a truck with a big sign on the front that said ‘Gay Lad’?!! :laughing:

Pink trucks, Gay Lads, is there a theme hereâ– â– ?

Coffeeholic:
You are 100% correct, you did sound like an anorak. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Well if the coat fits :laughing:

David James Chinnery Is a name from the past. I think we worked on the same firm once. …I was on Malta Cross when they started ,doing Cheshunt Marsielles with containers…And its obviously not Andy’s old pink rig , so apologies,etc. Still a technicolor yawn tho’ ! :laughing: