Volvo

Do anyone knows why Volvo have produced the F 88 290 for the English market In sweden it was only possible to buy the F 88 with 260 horse power and F 89 with 330 hp

The 290 F88 was built for the english market because the F89 was only
available in LHD,due to the space under the cab.The 12 litre engine had to be tilted to get it to fit under the cab.The 290 did suffer reliability problems and when the F10 was launched the 9.6 litre engine(same as F88) was de’rated to
278bhp(I think) and you could get the F12 in RHD. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for your answer i have seen that the engine had to be tilted to get it to fit under the cab, I have tried to find it out for a long time in sweden but no one knows any answer about the F 88 290 , Was it possible to buy F 88 290 as LHD

Apparently it wasnt the height of the engine, it was because the engine was canted over that they couldnt get the gear selector to work properly on a RHD.

A bit like Scania elbow on a RHD :wink:

Wheel Nut:
Apparently it wasnt the height of the engine, it was because the engine was canted over that they couldnt get the gear selector to work properly on a RHD.

Spot on, the engine was leaning right were the gear leaver needed to be, Volvo F89, a proper motor.

Ross.

iHAVE A LHD SCANIA 141 IT IS 1979 AN IT HAS A 375HP THAT WAS SOME HP BACK THEN[/img]

If i remember correctly the LHD F10/F12 had an ordinary throttle linkage and the RHD ones an air throttle can’t remember the reason. :question: :smiley:

I found the last model from the F 89 where the best ,of the Volvo I know about 1976-77 the company P.I.E have bought 25 brand new F 89 for this time well equipped, kitchen air condition and cabinet . My fathers ex boss was the manager of P.I.E Sweden so i have had the chans to take a good look at the tractors I think that the trucks was running on the M.E for about 2 years an then they was shipped out from the port of Malmö to UK . P.I.E in Sweden have had a lot of problems with the drivers they have employed a lot of young people wihtout experience I have seen one of the truck on the side on the firts trip , i and i think after two years it was about 15-18 trucks left , I have some pictures of the truck´s i will try to scan the pictures