Is my Royal Society of Arts CPC still valid?

Rather an old thread bump, but is there any chance of a many years ago (National 1981, International1984) RSA TM cpc holder being a external TM for a 1 lorry 1 van operator?

TC office has asked for the TM cert to be with EC1071/2009 but this is obviously waay too current.

iguana:
Rather an old thread bump, but is there any chance of a many years ago (National 1981, International1984) RSA TM cpc holder being a external TM for a 1 lorry 1 van operator?

TC office has asked for the TM cert to be with EC1071/2009 but this is obviously waay too current.

I looked into this myself recently and the general concensus was that a two-day refresher course would be required.

iguana:

You take the same responsibility for the O licence if it’s a truck and van or 20 trucks. Having passed the old RSA and done a single refresher will be no excuse if you get it wrong. If you’ve done it before, and think you know the stuff expected of a TM, why not sit the current exam, it reduces the risks, improves your status with the OTC.
Relying on an old exam is IMHO is a big risk to the licence

I had my International CPC under Grandfather Rights and let it lapse.

If it’s for life, can I resurrect it ■■

whisperingsmith:

GF rights? No Certificate? I reckon you would need excellent evidence to get away with that. Depends how long ago you let it lapse and it would be entirely down to the TC to decide if they will approve you, but a refresher will be mandatory.

Any and every TM needs a refresher every five years. For existing TM’s not attracting the attention of the authorities, it isn’t actively enforced. But the TC’s demand it for new applications or when you’ve had a run in with them for whatever reason.

There’s no specific syllabus for a TM Refresher course and they vary massively in quality and price. The only stipulation is that they must be delivered by a training provider who is an accredited TMCPC course provider.

It’s very important to shop around and find a course that will give practical knowledge to take away from the course, rather than simply running through a condensed version of the TMCPC syllabus.

I did have a certificate Zac A - but mislaid it.
It had the same number as my O Licence. ON 367…

whisperingsmith:
I did have a certificate Zac A - but mislaid it.
It had the same number as my O Licence. ON 367…

You can get a replacement certificate, I was looking at this just the other day, luckily I found mine while searching the loft.

I think it was about £53, thank god I found mine :slight_smile:

whisperingsmith:

AFAIR grandfathers right were very limited, not time limited and I can’t see it being cortex for a new O licence without done significant updates.
Quick example, the current exam is combined National / international.

I passed my RSA Certificate of Professional Competence in National Road Haulage Operations
( in accodance with part A of the annex to council directive (EEC) 74/561 ) in October 1986, whilst it was still valid when I had an operators licence, is it still valid today ? or has it been superceeded?

As far as I’m aware, an RSA Certificate of Professional Competence in National Road Haulage Operations is valid for life.

Thanks Simon for the reply, thats good to know.

miketdt:
I passed my RSA Certificate of Professional Competence in National Road Haulage Operations
( in accodance with part A of the annex to council directive (EEC) 74/561 ) in October 1986, whilst it was still valid when I had an operators licence, is it still valid today ? or has it been superceeded?

Welcome to TNUK. That was my very first question on here, and the answer is still yes :smiley:

miketdt:

Hi miketdt, I’ll go along with what Simon and Wheel Nut said mate.

I have Nat. and Int CPCs both from RSA which I took in 1977. I can tell you that the awarding body is now OCR, but that’s only because RSA merged with another awarding body to form OCR a few years ago.

AFAIK, the CPC is for ‘life,’ and the only way that it becomes useless is when a TC makes a finding against a person’s repute, which is usually either time-limited by the TC, or indefinate.

So no need for a re-qual. :wink:

EDITED to correct a typo: My CPCs are dated 1997 NOT 1977

it is still valid. however if you want your international cpc, you will have to re-sit your national cpc exam before being allowed to do your international.
it’s bloody ridiculous.

limeyphil:
it is still valid. however if you want your international cpc, you will have to re-sit your national cpc exam before being allowed to do your international.
it’s bloody ridiculous.

Agreed Phil, I can’t see the reasoning behind that… :confused:

However, there’s been talk (I’ve seen the discussion documents) of merging the two CPCs into one, but the idea has been shelved for a while. (Apparently.)

limeyphil:
it’s bloody ridiculous.

I sat my national about 1993, and then 2 years later took my international, without having to resit the national, is this a new thing then as I had not heard of it before?

there’s been talk (I’ve seen the discussion documents) of merging the two CPCs into one, but the idea has been shelved for a while.

Since we have a common transport policy across the EU I cannot now see the need for seperate CPC’s, the modules could easily be adjusted to take account of this, as usual my opinion is that it is just bureaucracy that prevents this, more exams - more money.

brados:

there’s been talk (I’ve seen the discussion documents) of merging the two CPCs into one, but the idea has been shelved for a while.

Since we have a common transport policy across the EU I cannot now see the need for seperate CPC’s, the modules could easily be adjusted to take account of this, as usual my opinion is that it is just bureaucracy that prevents this, more exams - more money.

Hi brados, I completely agree mate, and that’s the reason that they were looking at it.

If the two CPCs were to be merged, I reckon the total exam fee would go up anyway. :smiling_imp:

Heads, they win; tails, we lose. :frowning:

tc trans:

limeyphil:
it’s bloody ridiculous.

I sat my national about 1993, and then 2 years later took my international, without having to resit the national, is this a new thing then as I had not heard of it before?

Hi tc trans, no mate this isn’t new.
My advice to anybody thinking of taking both (operator) CPCs is to check how long the first one remains able to be linked to the second one.
Most good CPC training providers will know the answer to this question, and the length of time does vary, so it might pay to ask.
If the training provider doesn’t know, then I’d suggest that candidates should check directly with OCR for themselves.

I will add my question:

I don’t have it, but most Polish drivers do. The old Polish CPC - national or european. (By “the old” I mean introduced in Poland before it was an European thing).

If you have a Polish european CPC and if it’s still valid, can you somehow exchange it into new British one?