CPC Refresher Courses

I have a National and International CPC, which I took in November 2010 (National) and February 2011 (International). I was the nominated TM on my own O licence which I held from 2011 until 2016 when I voluntarily surrendered it. I did this for personal reasons and never fell foul of the TC or VOSA in any way.

If I was to apply to be named as a TM on a transport company O licence now, is it likely that the TC would require me to take a refresher course in view of the time which has elapsed since obtaining the qualification and/or acting as a TM? I know such things exist and that TCs can insist on a TM taking one but don’t know what the parameters are?

Has anyone done such a thing? If so, what is the format? The usual, hints and tips welcome, ta.

When two of the three CPC holders for a small local own account operator died during 2020 the compamy had to be restructured from a partnership into a limited company. The third CPC holder was then advised to do a refresher course to ease the new O licence application since he now became the sole TM on the licence and his qualification had been some years earlier.

I would say therefore that being able to demonstrate a recent refresher course will certainly make it easier to attract clients. There have been a lot of revisions to Categorisation of Defects to name just one area of knowledge in the last decade. The FTA certainly do on line refresher courses which are open to non members.

logistics.org.uk/training/manag … G0QAvD_BwE

Yes, TC would certainly stipulate this Harry.

TM Refreshers, to be accepted by the TC, must be delivered by a training provider who is approved to deliver the TM-CPC courses, doesn’t matter if that is the CILT or SAEG version of the qualification.

Beware of outfits that cannot demonstrate they meet this criteria, I’ve seen several who create a course with the name of “TM Refresher” but who’s courses would not be likely to be accepted.

Personally, (and contrary to Cav551’s recommendations) I’d suggest “Beware of the big boys” (eg RHA, LUK) they’ll ‘have your eyes out and come back for the sockets’ pricewise (£714 inc VAT for non-members with the RHA offering)

The infamous Beverly Bell (TC turned training provider/compliance supplier) does hers for about £500 for two days; she ran one recently which featured both herself and Nick Denton (who has also stepped down as a TC) I was tempted to book onto that myself, but it was too far away (Sittingbourne, Kent).

Independent providers would be more pocket-friendly at sub £400. The one I would recommend (if I were to do such a thing) retails at £360 inc VAT for a two day course, but I don’t believe you’re anywhere near the north (no canals up here for narrowboats :wink: ) so that would only be an online option for you.

I personally would not choose an online course, not unless it’s just a tick box exercise for you, I think people gain far more from a classroom situation, especially TM Refresher where group discussions are the order of the day. Which incidentally is my reasoning for not limiting yourself to TM Refs that are also DCPC approved, these have timetables (lesson plans) so are IMO less appropriate (plus with non-DCPC approved courses you get better breaks and an earlier finish :sunglasses: )

Also be aware that the TC categorically does not endorse, approve or otherwise recommend any training provider or any course (there’s a lot of false advertising going around), the TC either accepts, or does not accept, a course.

Format of courses varies massively; TM Refreshers are a purely UK thing, they aren’t stipulated by the EU regs, like the TMCPC course is. As an overview I would expect them to cover: all the TM responsibilities, from gaining the qualification in the first place to managing O-licences online, covering all the industry updates on MOTs, inspections, maintenance providers, systems of monitoring and reporting on tacho hours, VU downloads, WTD, infringements, PMI analysis, especially brake testing analysis, financial standing, audit requirements, maintaining your CPD in a daily/weekly basis… The list goes on and on.

The course I would recommend gives you a shed load of links to download all the documentation to create a “virtual library” of reference material, thousands of pages in volume, including all the important Stat Docs, MIVR, DVSA enforcement sanctions and categorization of defects (which as Cav551 has said has undergone multiple iterations just within the past year alone).

You definitely want to shop around and ask lots of questions before committing to any one provider.

Just to add, very worthwhile doing a refresher. Plenty of online 2 day refreshers if that’s your thing.

Thanks for all the help and advice, I have decided that if I am asked I’m going to decline though, mostly because I can’t see how I could fit it in with other plans I have.

So for a online provider who’s the pick? RHA is £400 plus vat which isn’t peanuts

At the moment the TM cc is handy but would need some sort of refresher to support it to be both good for the operator and the OTC.
If you had considered returning to Tm role, you could consider having a consultant assisting for an initial period until the systems are sorted
If you’ve decided to say no then that’s fine.

I did a refresher on mine in 2018.

Ken.

Hi Harry,
You could always call OTC and ask for guidance for your situation, they kinda like it when TM do that. My money would be on “just do a refresher course” and you’ll be sorted.
If you need a OCPCR course, have a chat to Friendberry, they looked after me and a couple of the other guys really well. And they’re helpful with advise.