Is my Royal Society of Arts CPC still valid?

There’s a curious irony in all this. Meaning no disrespect to the OP, someone in his position could quite legally set up in business as a haulier, even though he may not have practised his craft since passing the CPC over 20 years ago.

Yet with impending legislation looming, us “mere” drivers will have to prove our competence with a series of written examinations which may prove prohibitively expensive for casual drivers, and will be prohibited from practising our craft if we don’t comply.

Am I missing something here?

Wheel Nut:

miketdt:
I passed my RSA Certificate of Professional Competence in National Road Haulage Operations
( in accodance with part A of the annex to council directive (EEC) 74/561 ) in October 1986, whilst it was still valid when I had an operators licence, is it still valid today ? or has it been superceeded?

Welcome to TNUK. That was my very first question on here, and the answer is still yes :smiley:

Thank you wheelnut for wecloming me on my 102 post .Did you miss the last 101?

miketdt:
Thank you wheelnut for wecloming me on my 102 post .Did you miss the last 101?

Late is better than never :unamused:

Here’s a good hypothetical question for you all:

I passed my RSA CPC (National) in the UK in the late '80’s. Is it valid here in Finland, if I were to set up a company doing domestic work only? Being as how we are all EU now…

Zetorpilot:

I passed my RSA CPC (National) in the UK in the late '80’s. Is it valid here in Finland, if I were to set up a company doing domestic work only? Being as how we are all EU now…

A National CPC would only be valid for internal work, within the bounds of the Nation that issued the certificate.
The Royal Society of Arts, being the British Society which issues the certificate for Britain.

The training notes for your RSA CPC National would have a lot of stuff in it, about Finnish C & U regs I would imagine ? :smiley:

gnasty gnome:
There’s a curious irony in all this. Meaning no disrespect to the OP, someone in his position could quite legally set up in business as a haulier, even though he may not have practised his craft since passing the CPC over 20 years ago.

Yet with impending legislation looming, us “mere” drivers will have to prove our competence with a series of written examinations which may prove prohibitively expensive for casual drivers, and will be prohibited from practising our craft if we don’t comply.

Am I missing something here?

Hi GG, you might be missing that there’s no connection between a driver CPC and an operator CPC, unless I’ve misunderstood your question. :smiley:

Zetorpilot:

I would say it is valid, I know a Dutchman who has a transport company in Hull and has never done a UK exam

Wheelnut’s answer would have been what I would have thought, but I can see Simon’s point.

Regulations such as C&U seem to be harmonizing over Europe (which is presumably part of the idea of the EU) and if one is capable of learning the rules and passing the CPC, one is presumably capable of keeping up with changing legislation and therefore capable of learning another EU country’s differences without needing to be re-examined. After all, my UK CPC remains fundamentally valid even though a lot of the regulations have surely changed since the 80’s.