Is it too late for me?

Hiya folks

I am 39 years old and last year I passed my C+E test and I possibly have a job lined up where I will start on Class 2 to begin with and then progess on to Class 1 within the company as time goes on. My worry is have I left it too late to start getting Class 1 experience? Currenty I work as an agency driver and am permenantly contracted to work for a chain of builders merchants and I take home a good amount of weekly pay, not far off what some Class 1 drivers make. I have an assesment drive with the company I am hoping to get the Class 1 experience with this week but am really in doubt as to whether I making the right decision. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

i was 40 this year and just done my class 2 and class 1 and got a class 1 job with no experience so if its what you want to do go for it and dont worry about your age young man ha ha

Simple answer to this: At your age you have not left it too late to get Class 1 experience! At your age you have at least 25 years to progress and get all that experience.

If the job you are going for is non-agency then you’d be a fool to turn it down.

Best of luck!

never too late to do what you want to do and if the job offer is there you would be mad to turn it down and your younger than me so defo still young and not past it , otherwise god help me :wink:

jen x

I took my class 2 at 62 still out tramping and loving it :smiley: I wish I had done it at your age go for it you won’t regret it.

When I was LGV instructing we had a few drivers come to us who had not driven artics for over 10 years and some who had not driven since passing their test

Within 1 hour all had come back to them and within 4 hours they were safely competent at reversing

If you are concerned then a morning or an afternoon with a school or perhaps an owner driver or a workmate who drives an artic will be sufficient

Is is too late for me? What has age got to do with it? Are you wanting to be a premiership footballer or something? :unamused:
After a career change I passed my Class 2, 4 years ago (aged 50), then passed Class 1, 18 months ago (aged 52ish). Never had a problem getting work from day 1.
Look around at all the Class 1 drivers on the road, you’ll be one of the youngest out there !!! :wink:

Christ, i’m 44 and start my class 1 training on monday, no hope for me then :laughing:

I to passed at the young age of 39. so don’t let age be a barrier to your own path in life

Thank you very much to those who left feedback, I really appreciate your comments and I’ve taken what you said on board. I am almost certain now that I will take this job offer as it will be a step up to eventually getting Class 1 experience and I just won’t get that with where I am now.

Cheers

Johnny :slight_smile: