is it just me

or does anyone else think standards have dropped thus causing greater hatred to us the scourge of the road …(sorry if this has already been posted)

overtaking standards being my main point …

now myself if it takes me a good 20 miles or so to SLOWLY catch another truck i wont overtake it because it will take endless miles and jcns to do so . i knock the cruise down 1k and go with the flow , it doesnt cost you anything …

but a lot of drivers will overtake for the miles it takes them …why its pointless frustrating to other truck drivers and other road users , and it seems to be on the increase …
being the chap i,am i normally back off once some ■■■■ has slowly crawled up beside for more than 5 mins to let them go … i,m the loser in that race , but hey so what it releives me from keeping an eye on them in the mirrors once there in front …
but once i didnt on the A14 it was a co-op driver ( and i hope you read this ) he started to overtake me at claydon 5.45 ish am (e/b) he was crawling like hell ,slowly slowly inching his way up , eventually after 20 minutes he got his back end just by me … did i flash NO he had to do the work after all he wanted it so bad (lines of other traffic behind us might of been ignorant on my part i dont know but i was after proving a point ) eventually after much waggling and indicating he moved in just about 2 miles short of the A12 S/B COLCHESTER he indicated off this jcn and i had to BRAKE as not to run into the back off him i passed him when he exited and papped the horn and gave him a flick of the hand ( as though to say [zb] idiot) … and he was an idiot he spent 20 minutes of holding up traffic flow to get by me to only slow me down less than 5 minutes later to get off and whilst he was getting off i overtook him :laughing:
did it make his run any quicker ?did he get to his first drop any earlier by doing it ■■?
no it /hedidnt and he is an idiot for doing it and anybody else for that matter that does …
recently had another one coming w/b on the A14 through the bends doing the same for him to do the same as the above :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

pointless overtaking is just pointless

judge your speed and the distance it will take you to overtake , screw the drops ,screw the timings ,be sensible ffs

cheers paul ( ■■■■■■ with pointless overtakers)

:unamused:

paul@midway:
. i knock the cruise down 1k and go with the flow , it doesnt cost you anything …

It can do, me I wont drive behind anyone with cruise control on, much too dangerous, if the guy in front brakes hard whilst you are on cruise your reactions are not as quick.

The truck I usually drive is in for MOT and a gearbox problem and I have driven over the last few days A Renault Midlum and an Iveco 75E17 Eurocargo. Both have cruise control where mine doesn’t. I have to agree with Daxi, I think it makes you less aware and slows your re-actions if only very slightly, so after the initial " ooooooohhhhh cruise control " it soon went off ( I did try it in both ).

The 75E17 does however have the magic button ( variable limiter ) and I do find that useful.

As a newish driver overtaking just confuses me…I remember writing a post about some trouble I had on the A14 round Ipswich a while back. Wonder if I can find it…I forget the details now.

Ah ha…

From this thread: trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6270

Andyroo:
The other day I was on the A14, I overtook another lorry quite slowly and got back in. I’d put a little ground between us when I saw an artic joining at the next junction, cars all the way down the offside lane so I eased off a little bit and flashed him in. He got out and I was following behind, as soon as it was clear on the offside lane, the lorry I’d gone past before had pulled out and was trying to get past me. I had to ease off again, cos he didn’t have the legs on me or the artic and let him in between us. Guess what happened next…two minutes later I had to struggle past him again cos I had that little advantage.

I’m a newbie and I dunno if I did much right or wrong there, overwhelmingly it just seemed all a bit daft.

daxi:

me I wont drive behind anyone with cruise control on, much too dangerous

Forgive my ignorance Daxi but how do you know if the truck infront has got its cruise on :question: :question: :question:

simon

I think daxi meant that he wouldn’t have his cruise control on while there was a anyone in front of him.

Yes Sorry, I wont sit behind someone with my cruise control on, in fact unless it’s a fairly clear road I tend not to use it.

daxi:

paul@midway:
. i knock the cruise down 1k and go with the flow , it doesnt cost you anything …

It can do, me I wont drive behind anyone with cruise control on, much too dangerous, if the guy in front brakes hard whilst you are on cruise your reactions are not as quick.

I don’t use the cruise control either for the very same reason.

daxi:
Yes Sorry, I wont sit behind someone with my cruise control on, in fact unless it’s a fairly clear road I tend not to use it.

Ahh i see i thought you was a bit of a mystic meg then :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

I agree pretty much with the original post.

on the M62 in my rigid, limited to 56 I’ll sit behind a truck doing 54 quite happily. I just moderate the right foot a bit. As mine happily goes up and down hill and valley loaded at 50 and empty on the limiter I’ll wait for the hilly bits and nip past.

free of the cork in the bottle I’ll typically fly by on the up-hill on the limiter while they’re stuck at 30ish - then creep away on the flats, and everyone’s happy. no laws broken or safeties encroached upon.

and then the plonker will sail past me on the downhill while I’m doing 60 holding her on the exhaust brake - them doing around 70+ going by rate of pulling away from me. surely coasting on the clutch?

so we’re back where we started.

annoying aint it!

makes me wonder if their TM’s ever see their tachos going to 120km and say " 'ang on a minute matey - wots all this then? I’ll be buggered at me next audit!".

The only frustrations i get on the motorways are the limiter wars that will sit there mile after mile and getting nowhere

now i’ll probably get a slating for this so i’ll put my tin hat on now

My truck will quite happily sit at 60mph on the motorway now im quite happy most days to sit in the middle lane patiently waiting for the eternal overtake to end so i can carry on my way BUT like the other day on the M6 the overtaking move started just over thelwall and was still happening after knutsford services which i would say is bang out of order and chuffing annoying so my temper is starting to flare and i thought [zb] it into the fast lane upto 62mph round the 2 trucks and back into the inside lane and drop back to 60 not the best move in the world but is it any wonder people get irritated with [zb]s like these on the road causing people to make dodgy moves just to make progress

simon

SimonRS2K:
My truck will quite happily sit at 60mph

temper is starting to flare and i thought [zb] it into the fast lane upto 62mph round the 2 trucks and back into the inside lane and drop back to 60
simon

naughty :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

personally - and this is just me - I’d move to lane 2 slowly from lane 1, giving a few toots of the old horn on the way out - it’s there to say “I am here!” and fingers crossed it’d wake one of them up.

the fault in the limiter war lays with the person being overtaken IMO, if we’re talking reasonably flat land (so no hills knocking too much speed off). if the passing truck drops back its their job to drop back in and try later. if its level ■■■■■■■ or lane2 man is ahead its up to lane1 person to drop even 1 or 2 mph and let them in.

and again, this is just me, but if someone is struggling to pass me on the limiter it’s IMO that to have caught me on average they’ll be faster so drop back a bit, if someone’s up my chuff, I’ll give the hazards a flick or 3 to make it clear somethings about to happen and just drop those mph gently enough and back to matching speed by the time matey-boy is pulling back in so the natural order aint too badly affected.

I’m too chicken to contemplate using the final overtaking lane. it’d be my luck the car behind is a copper. too much risk to my sole income.

i must admit i have had to take a dive into lane 3 before to avoid an accident … after i have left my trailer at a depot i,m just a prime mover only . 410 bhp of pure power with hardly any weight to pull its a flying machine :laughing:
the last lane 3 dive was a while back overtaking on a hill in lane 2 at full on 56mph ( no trailer on see) 2 trucks in lane 1 , just gettting to the back of the first truck and he swung out into 2 to overtake the other truck … :open_mouth: i would estimate his speed at about 35-40 mph and he has just pulled out on me at 56mph :open_mouth: ■■■■ that no time for brakes quick mirrors and into 3 to avoid the daft twit …

complacency or what :unamused: