Overtaking and Rolling Roadblocks

Right then boys and girls…

I post on another motoring forum,and a discussion came up recently about the above,and today,I have been berated by Mark,(RLBS) one of the moderators.

As professional drivers,your opinions are most welcome.Hit the link below,but to reply,you may have to register etc etc.

Ken.

honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ … =2&t=23844

ive read it ken, i think your on a loser there though. the majority of them wont listen to your reasoned comments, however-if we as drivers did maybe back off once in a while to let other wagons by it wouldnt wind the general public up quite so much. it would be interesting to limit all cars to 70mph though and see how long the qs become because they cant go any faster. rgds jon

I subscribe to that site Quinny through the Telegraph.

I have to agree about the higjway code post. about overtaking.

I think the best bit was this reply though: “Definitely too much freight being moved.
I hate it when I go to the shops and they have lots of stock in. I prefer it when I can’t buy any food”

As has already been said, you are fighting a losing battle,

Driving with due care and attention isn’t an offence

quinny,i don’t think you’ll win this arqument.as your arquing with people who have not been in the situation that you or i or any other truck driver has been in.these people prove what we already know,that as a truck driver we are treated with very little respect.i’d love to get them car drivers limited to 70mph and restricted to 9 hours driving per day.then i bet the laws would change,especially if your job was a sale’s rep and doing long distance and having to sleep in the back of there car. :wink:

I have read the posts Ken , agree with some and disagree with others.

One thing that does ring true though is the A14.
When I used to travel on the 14 in a limited motor and found someone up the side of me , I would back off.
The reason ? I would rather have a Mondeo or Astra speed past me at 70mph than have to look at a truck going past me for 2 or 3 miles.
More often than not, the overtaker would not wait for the flash of the lights to say pull in, and would cause me to brake anyway, so why have a ‘lets see who’s limiter is set to 57 competition’ anyway.

I like my stopping distance, and my ’ swerve into lane 2 gap in an emergency’.

Cheers,

Niall.

I was coming down the A1 from Gateshead in a hired 38 Tonne artic empty,
when,at Chester-le-Street,I happened upon another artic,that appeared to be loaded.

As we were side by side,and starting up the incline towards Durham,I,for one reason
or another,was unable to get passed him.He held me there for about a mile or so

I’ve only got 12mths in so not much experience at all but surely this is a case of seeing just who is the most professional here. One vehicle was laden climbing an incline and the overtaking vehicle was empty… hmmmm, who should give in?

Personally, I’m of the opinion that the overtaking vehicle should drop back as a laden vehicle climbing an incline easing off would lose out more overall.

Not one of you did so you were both just as bad as each other IMO!

I will ALWAYS try to give way to an overtaking vehicle as I have been in this situation, ie. marooned, time and time again and although you can’t really feel it that much, the pressure that the manoeuvre surely brings about can’t be any good for your ticker over the years. No, I haven’t got all day to mess about but courtesy costs a few seconds.

As a new driver this trait in so called PROFESSIONALS is fast becoming a major bummer for me. I see it DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY AFTER DAY usually watching from behind.

For example I’m fast beginning to succumb to the idea that it would be better to hold your ground when approaching sliproads as you can bet your bottom dollar that one of your fellow PROS will leave you stranded yet again in the middle lane causing you to have no choice but to slow down and pull in behind.

It happened to me just the other day AGAIN. I had an artic in front of me in lane 1 when we chanced upon 3 artics getting ready to join from the slip road. Over went the unit and I followed allowing a nice easy passage onto the motorway for our bretheren. Now it just so happens that the leading joining artic had his nose level with my trailer so the unit ahead of me was straight back in. On we plod. And on…

Hmmmm… here we go again I think to myself :unamused:

My truck is getting on a bit, so is the limiter and I run with a surge affect whereby when I hit 90 clicks or thereabouts I’m back down to 84 before it kicks in again. So I lose it and he’s level with my mover. Then I go…I lose it, we’re level, I go…lose it…level…

looks across at driver staring straight ahead totally oblivious AS PER USUAL

Ok, OK!!! I know the score… one, two trucks past… Oh my! the third let’s me in! THANKYOU!!!

The two so called PROS who wouldn’t budge were both wearing crisp ironed shirts in trucks that were draped in very well known liveries.

Now that to me is just ■■■■ RIGHT RUDE if you don’t mind me saying so! :imp:

In this situation the joining vehicle should allow you back in IMO as again, it’s simple courtesy and costs just a few seconds…obviously way too long for some people!

Maybe as a n00b I need to work on picking up more of your bad habits?!?! :stuck_out_tongue:

About rolling roadblocks. I can sympathise with that as it’s borne from frustration at seeing impatient and ill mannered folk with no regards for others determined to be first in the queue at whatever cost. The solution is for everybody to slow RIGHT down and leave plenty of room to allow for merging. The trouble is nobody in any lane ever does so it messes up completely.

Well said Saxon :wink:

When the EU set the speed limiter limit to 85kph it was because the speed was 80kph for trucks in Europe thats leaves you with a good margin if you’re travelling at 80ks or 50mph to approach a laden vehicle on an incline loosing speed you kick it up to 56’ and pass 'em no prob’s.

Unfortunatley the speed limit in this country is 60mph. So what do we do? Set the limiter to 56 instead of 65. You either drop the speed limit or up the limiter.

Politicians :question: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Niall:
I have read the posts Ken , agree with some and disagree with others.

One thing that does ring true though is the A14.
When I used to travel on the 14 in a limited motor and found someone up the side of me , I would back off.
The reason ? I would rather have a Mondeo or Astra speed past me at 70mph than have to look at a truck going past me for 2 or 3 miles.
More often than not, the overtaker would not wait for the flash of the lights to say pull in, and would cause me to brake anyway, so why have a ‘lets see who’s limiter is set to 57 competition’ anyway.

I like my stopping distance, and my ’ swerve into lane 2 gap in an emergency’.

Cheers,
Niall.

100% in agreement with you there Niall i always ease off a little for that reason asyou know the ■■■■■■■ idiot is going to pull in about 2 ft in front of you, there`s nothing to lose in just backing off for a second is there??.

As for the rolling road blocks i would ask anyone in a car who criticises trucks for doing so to sit in the inside lane next time and watch all the vehicles on the right go past you and cause even more hold ups when they get to the cones.

Is it the Germans who do it properly as in one at a a time? the best way but it would never work over here i dont see why they dont set the cones to actually merge both lanes in the middle of the carriageway i think that would work better,thus making people merge rather than have to give way.

But remember it is the ‘set’ speed which is 85 km/h which with the 5km/h tolerance gives you guys a 90 km/h powered maximum which I observe most trucks to be achieving without undue difficulty. I believe EU law is very specific when it says that the speed limiter must be set up in such a way that the powered speed cannot exceed 90 km/h.

I was following a rigid (don’t know the model) in my coach and he pulled into lane 2 to let the car transporter emerge from the sliproad onto the motorway. No problem, his speed was a steady 89 km/h on my tacho. Thing is Jct 5 on the M2 starts to drop slightly downhill London bound and the heavy car transporter continued to accelerate until there they were cab to cab and there was nothing the rigid could do about it. This carried on for about a minute or so when the rigid eventually eeked a in front and had to guess when he could pull in as the car transporter hadn’t helpfully flashed him.

Car drivers :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: But I do see where they are coming from :open_mouth:

@ carl, was ya parkedup on the aylesham industrial estate 2 weeks ago ?

thought it might have been you ,i knocked on the cab door but got no answer…

regards…bernie

Spot on Saxone, I think a lot of the problem is: “engage cruise control, disengage brain :unamused: .”

Having said that, their’s drivers and their’s screwdrivers.