Is Container Work THE work to get?

Hello All,

I am awaiting my Class 2 licence and then I am going to do Class 1. From what I see and read, container work appears to be the work to get or maybe I am missing something? Get the thing dropped on your chassis and take it from A to B. Simples yes? no loading and unloading, no handball, crane on and crane off? It also appears to pay quite well. So there must be a catch me thinks?

There are good and bad things about every job, just wondered what the view was on container work thats all, I just fancy giving it a go when I get my Class 1. And if container work isnt all its cracked up to be, what is? there must be an aspect of truck driving work that every one tries to get into mustnt there? just a thought…

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Road King :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

Road King:
I am awaiting my Class 2 licence

:smiley: :smiley:

Road King:
I am going to do Class 1

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS for CE ARTIC, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature at the bottom of this post.

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips
First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Thank You Rog. Forgive my user name btw, was feeling a bit cocky when I registered!

My old manis on containers and that is also what I would like to get on when I can afford to do my class 1. It is an easy job like you say pick it up drive to where it has to go load/unloaded for you while you sleep/read/watch tv etc. and then off you go to reload or into the port. If you get on with one of the big firms they usually have all the creature comforts like tv microwave fridge.

The only thing is more and more seams to be going on trains lately and running down to the docks on a friday to catch the boat as the train is full or something, well that is the way the old mans firm seams to be going at the minute but it is swings and round about some weeks your away all week some weeks you only away for a couple.

There are locals though that is just day work, not to sure about wages but I can say the old man has a nice car and a nice house so cant be too bad. That is about all I can say having not done it myself.

Good luck with it all

Road King:
I am awaiting my Class 2 licence

Hi Road King Many congratulations on the Class C/2/Rigid. Where did you do your test and who did you train with?

Road King:
From what I see and read, container work appears to be the work to get or maybe I am missing something? Get the thing dropped on your chassis and take it from A to B. Simples yes? no loading and unloading, no handball, crane on and crane off? It also appears to pay quite well. So there must be a catch me thinks?

Now Im not probably the best person to answer those questions. In fact a lady called LUCY (IIRC) will probably be the best to answer them.
However I will give it ago. It depends on what container work you are doing. Short Sea work involves or can involve getting in the back and helping to unload. Deep Sea on the other hand, is the sterotypical image of ‘‘Container Work’’. This is where you pick a container up from either the port or railhead or inland site and take it to the customers and then return it. This work can have long long waits whilst the box is emptied. This is one of the reasons for long hours. However, this is driving so long hours can be normal eh? :laughing:

For what can be involved on the drivers behalf, the pay is fantastic. However, like i say it can be long hours so overall if your on salary then it might not look so fantastic.
Every aspect of the different jobs in haulage will have people who hate it and equal amount for those that love it. All you can do is try it and find out for yourself.

Where about are you based?

Well it’s realy hard work :wink: my gaffer reads this :slight_smile: lol it’s a easy job but remember they roll about more and can be badly loaded so take it easy :slight_smile:and be carefull when you open the doors things sometimes fall out .

if you want to be a lazy git then its the work to get, never wanted to do it though.

Might be lazy work but it sure beats chasing you’re tail for 15hrs a day without a break. :unamused:

3 hour tip ? bring it on :stuck_out_tongue:

I start monday 2nd on containers and I cant wait. yes I am a lazy git but it beats dragging 1.1 ton pallets up hill with a pallet truck!

Question. If containers is a lot of waiting around. will I ever get near the 90 hour driving in a fortnight rule? :smiley:

Who you going to be pulling for Joe?

I have been doing boxes for a year now, it is the best job I have ever had, my longest tip has been 7 hours but the average is about 2-3 hrs, I have a fridge, microwave, TV, and a ps3 in the cab so just kick back and relax, it beats working for a living.

Big-Dave:
I have been doing boxes for a year now, it is the best job I have ever had, my longest tip has been 7 hours but the average is about 2-3 hrs, I have a fridge, microwave, TV, and a ps3 in the cab so just kick back and relax, it beats working for a living.

That is the way to do it, just need to change that ps3 for xbox 360 :wink:

Hello all, some interesting replies there! I dont know why, but I just like the idea of container work, the 2-3 hour tips wouldnt bother me, in fact aftersome of the crap gigs I have had on 7.5 ton work it would be a result. I want to drive not spend my time sweating my nuts off delivering gazebos, solid oak desks up numerous steps and round right angle bends, and sofas ordered by people who forgot to work out if it would actually fit through their door, oh no it doesnt, could you lift it over the back fence and through the patio doors then please? NOOOOO!!!

After all that, yes, i do fancy sitting in a decent sized lorry, staying reasonably clean and refreshed and actually driving some distance and seeing some of the rest of the country!

Having said all that, gotta pass my class 1 yet! in fact, gotta have assessment first, i am looking forward to that! yay!

here is one for the experienced boys. if you have two 20ft boxes on a normal skelly how do you tip the one at the front?

Thats easy Joe, Floor it towards the bay at top speed and at the very last minute swing the tractor unit so you end up jacknifing right on the bay doors. Bobs your uncle you can access the front box :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

joedwyer1:
here is one for the experienced boys. if you have two 20ft boxes on a normal skelly how do you tip the one at the front?

im not experienced on containers but generally you unhookt he trailer and they unload it that way. just a guess or you jacknife the unit so they can get in the front.

Road King:
Hello All,

From what I see and read, container work appears to be the work to get .

Well if you want to put on weight maybe :laughing:
Seriously diferent jobs suit different people, I like to be involved with loading and unloading and like a bit of a challenge. To be honest most of us didn’t really pick our first job, but took what we could get. I ended up on tilts with a bit of general and agricutlural work thrown in when it was quiet. It wasn’t the best kit or pay, but a decent boss and good bunch of lads who were willing to help and take the [zb] made the job.
:smiley:

joedwyer1:

Once upon a time, it was standard practice to load two 20fts “back to back”, so you had a set of doors at each end. You then dropped the trailer to tip the front box, which obviously meant you could only tip that way if the customer was either handballing it out in a yard or using a moveable ramp - there’s no way of accurately getting it on a proper bay without using forklifts and all sorts. The front of the trailer needed to be propped to avoid it tipping forward with the weight in the front.

These days, however, very few people will accept a load that way, so usually you’d pop into the nearest railhead, storage yard, or whoever else in an area has heavy lift facilities, and get them swopped 'round. It’ll cost about £50, but you won’t need to worry about that, it’s the company’s problem. The other advantage of this is that the front box can be loaded the “right” way 'round, giving extra security as the doors are inaccessible to scrotes. :wink:

As for the other bits mentioned above, the stuff about Short Sea v Deep Sea is about right, although the other thing to add is that Short Sea work tends to come out of smaller terminals or ferry ports, so there’s a lot less hanging about there as well as at customers. You also tend to reload Short Sea boxes as the norm, whereas with Deep Sea it’s unusual. The hours are also shortened on Short Sea because the vast majority of cargo (although by no mean all) is on pallets.

As for mod-cons in trucks, to have them provided by the company is VERY unusual, even for larger firms, so don’t expect that. Especially as a newbie, you’re likely to end up working for a subbie with just a few trucks and not much spare cash for luxuries. Watch out for big shiney motors with loads of spotlights… Whilst there are exceptions, the phrase “all flash, no cash” was invented for a reason. However, again, you need to be prepared to do any old crap work to start with, before you get onto one of the bigger firms, as most of them want experience - and particularly container experience.

HTH.

after 1 week on containers i can confirm that it IS the work to get. I do a little bit of driving then watch t.v and do sod all then do a bit more driving and its quite well paid. the only thing is im finding it hard sleeping at night because there is no physical labour involved :frowning:

Physical labour ? I sometime argue over whose gona open the doors :smiley:

If out all week I’d try and do as many hours as poss and take 9’s off, av 5 or 6 hours kip and make it up during the day…

Works for me :wink: