Container question....

Hi all.

Moved away from driving for a fair old while. But am now back at it.

I’m only class 2 at the min. About to do class 1.

I really want to do container work and tramp.

If you all dont mind, I have couple of questions…

Any ideas if any firms will take newly passed driver on?

I live in Bedfordshire. Any thoughts on still being employed? Just wondered if anyone does containers and lives long way from docks etc?

Many thanks in advance for any input.

Kind regards

Bazza.

Maritime will take on new drivers, Wincanton, Turners.

In fact, most of the container firms will.

I live in Manchester, quite far from docks, done most of my work on boxes with no probs.

It’s ok being far from the docks if there’s a railhead near you.

Basically, if there’s a container firm, there’ll be work.

Containers is, as a rule, towards the bottom end of the pay scale for HGV Class 1 drivers, but the work is easy, normally clean (although Olympic, Universal and a few other ‘container yards’ leave a lot to be desired, and you can do waste collections), LONG hours

According to their site, Maritime don’t:
If you have two years HGV 1 driving experience apply now and exceed your expectations, at Maritime.

mikeshe:
According to their site, Maritime don’t:
If you have two years HGV 1 driving experience apply now and exceed your expectations, at Maritime.

Ignore that, I know they’ve took on drivers that have just passed, they did when I was there and they have since.

You have a driving assessment to pass.

Also, they’ve just bought out Roadways, and are struggling like mad for drivers

waynedl:

What’s it coming to when the likes of Maritime are struggling for drivers I thought they would be able to attract them with reasonable ease.

bald bloke:

waynedl:

What’s it coming to when the likes of Maritime are struggling for drivers I thought they would be able to attract them with reasonable ease.

They’ve sacked everyone over the years, no new blood in the industry, so they’re struggling :slight_smile:

waynedl:

bald bloke:

waynedl:

They’ve sacked everyone over the years, no new blood in the industry, so they’re struggling :slight_smile:

Plenty of new blood coming in their names usually end in …SKI .

Their money is shocking!

bald bloke:

waynedl:

That’s an easy one. They’re all new motors and ■■■■■■■■ and you can earn more per hour on a paper round.

At Wincanton there is a scheme for newly qualified drivers and tramping is available at Huntingdon depot :smiley:

sandy_goddard:
At Wincanton there is a scheme for newly qualified drivers and tramping is available at Huntingdon depot :smiley:

Wow that’s ideal. Thats no drive at all for work if out all week.

Thank you very much. I’ll get in touch with them see what they say.

Thnks to everyone else for comments. Always appreciated. Now to my bunk amd night heater. Wake up in brighton hopefully sunnier than when I parked up.