Is anybody hiring? I'm all out of ideas!

Does anybody know any hauliers within about an hours drive of Nottingham who are taking on drivers?

I’ve trawled the job sites, called agencies and driven round industrial estates - nothing! I’m looking for tramping, (where the company will pay for services/lorry parks) and would prefer if possible to avoid supermarket deliveries. But I’m getting less fussy and will give most things a go.

The problem seems to be that I lack curtain-sider experience, but those of you that read my JCB and commercial vehicle deliveries diaries a few years back will know that I’m capable of learning stuff. Been a transport manager for a while but want to be back behind the wheel.

Had an interview at Park Logistics last week but they were worried about my lack of curtain-sider experience, and they don’t pay for parking.

Any ideas anyone? Clean licence, held for 20 years - and most definitely over 25 :frowning:

Curtain side experience??

It’s 99% of the time a ratchet at front, a ratchet or bar at back and lost of straps down side, ■■■■■■■ simple.

Only time I’ve ever been caught out was the 1st time I saw the air type curtain with the little wheels and the cord, if you don’t see any straps, chances are that’s what it is, look for a knob that looks like your trailer brake 1, usually at rear of trailer near where the ratchet would be, pull it and it’ll release the tension on the cord allowing you to take the wheels off and open the curtain.

Really are a doddle mate, not sure I’d admit to lacking experience in them, other drivers / forkies will help you if you get stuck.

All companies should pay for parking, but I know a few with a limit of say 10 - 15 quid a night, ie truck stops not services, if they don’t pay for anything it’s their diesel that’ll go walkies if you park somewhere a little dodgeh :wink:
Also, don’t forget if there’s not an island between you and the main carriageway, you have to leave your side lights on by law, so a few breakdown call outs due to flat batteries too might help.

Nowt wrong with knowing what you want, but you might have to do something else to get what you want, trolley dolley work isn’t so bad.

Stobarts are hiring casual drivers all over! Check out careers at www.stobartgroup.co.uk hope you find something soon! :smiley:

i’ve never been asked if i have curtainsider experience.
has anyone else?

give it the big bluff thing, just say yep i have used one or two, then when you get one take a step back look and it will all become obvious, also as stated ask any other driver. just “learn” on the job :wink:

Worksop is within an hour but if your tramping it doesnt really matter, try Elddis in Peppers yard Worksop they are very flexible on days worked and it will get your foot in the door. Head office Consett Co. Durham.

You could always try Fred Sherwoods at Shepshed i work for another division of them but they seem to be taking on a few drivers at the moment

I was surprised by the curtain-sider questions too. One job I went for, he said he’d had over 200 applicants, and most already had the relevant experience. He was also concerned that I was used to turning up at a delivery/collection point and getting on with it by myself - thought I might lack the patience to wait for someone else to be ready to load me. I would have thought that this showed I was ‘able to work on my initiative’ :confused:

I wonder if employers just have enough applicants at the moment that they can afford to be choosy. Or maybe I’m just not very employable :unamused: :laughing:

Thanks fellas for all the advice so far - I will act upon it!

grumpybum:
One job I went for, he said he’d had over 200 applicants

So much for any alleged driver shortage!

I can’t help with your original question though but best of luck in your search.

Paul

grumpybum:
Does anybody know any hauliers within about an hours drive of Nottingham who are taking on drivers?

I’ve trawled the job sites, called agencies and driven round industrial estates - nothing! I’m looking for tramping, (where the company will pay for services/lorry parks) and would prefer if possible to avoid supermarket deliveries. But I’m getting less fussy and will give most things a go.

The problem seems to be that I lack curtain-sider experience, but those of you that read my JCB and commercial vehicle deliveries diaries a few years back will know that I’m capable of learning stuff. Been a transport manager for a while but want to be back behind the wheel.

Had an interview at Park Logistics last week but they were worried about my lack of curtain-sider experience, and they don’t pay for parking.

Any ideas anyone? Clean licence, held for 20 years - and most definitely over 25 :frowning:

It sounds like the interviewer needs to learn something Bumpy :stuck_out_tongue: Fastening a few pallets onto a curtainsider is chicken feed to loading & securing machinery and vehicles on a full weight carrier

Wheel Nut:
It sounds like the interviewer needs to learn something Bumpy :stuck_out_tongue: Fastening a few pallets onto a curtainsider is chicken feed to loading & securing machinery and vehicles on a full weight carrier

Thanks for that - was starting to feel a bit inadequate :frowning: “bumpy” :laughing:

grumpybum:

have you tried HIGHWAY DRIVERS[agency],think they supply to norberts ,easton,stobarts,newark etc,maybe worth a call[no idea of no,just see there high vizs everywhere, QS[agency], see them alot
treasures grantham,milk tankers,tauts etc,no idea if jobs,but again maybe worth a call,brakes grantham,just expanded warehouse,think there maybe taking on soon[see you there :wink: ],hope it helps
what about the new co-op rdc thats meant to be being built mansfield side of jct 28 of m1,heard rumours of 120-200 drivers,maybe true or not,but call to co-op alferton maybe worth a bell

grumpybum:

on another note,weve had loads leave of late to pastures new,loads more agency in,drivers comming round for interviews,no idea where there getting jobs,if there any good,pay etc,but theres plenty leaving so there must be jobs somewhere out there

I think I would have said something along the lines of

“Look don’t take this the wrong way but if can manage to single handedly load and secure vehicles and plant costing hundreds of thousands of pounds and deliver them in perfect condition I’m sure that I could grasp the concept of opening and closing curtains”

Surely you’d have had nothing to lose and they may have sat up and taken notice that you’d had the balls :wink: to say so.

And for the record, I’m sure I couldn’t do the plant movements that way. When I deliver a new machine on behalf of the JCB or NH dealer it’s my way or the highway. Chains if I feel it needs them and although I try to minimise it, I’ll not lose any sleep over a bit of chipped paint.

Hang in there Bubblegum :laughing: , something I’ll surely turn up.

You had a VERY lucky escape not getting the job at parks! 400 odd before tax salary and planned to max hours daily my uncle left at x mas cause he just wouldn’t take their crap for such crap money.
Widdowson are taking on, as are DFS in long eaton you couldn’t of looked hard. Been a few jobs a week coming up in notts recently but none with good enough money to tempt me away from my current job.

Ady, does that stobart chilled store in annesley run drivers or is it only to drop food into? Been meaning to ask you for a while.

OllieNotts:
You had a VERY lucky escape not getting the job at parks! 400 odd before tax salary and planned to max hours daily my uncle left at x mas cause he just wouldn’t take their crap for such crap money.
Widdowson are taking on, as are DFS in long eaton you couldn’t of looked hard.

I got the same impression about Parks, but you don’t know until you go for the interview. Money was quite bad for what they want from you.

Went to Widdowsons for interview etc. last Wednesday. They weren’t interested in employing me as a driver, they saw my qualifications and tried to talk me into being a trainer. The last driving job I went for talked me into being a Transport Mananger and that’s why I’m back looking again. I don’t want to work in an office. So they turned me down as a driver, and I declined the training position.

DFS have not replied. Boots are looking for people through agency but only those who have already been on their site induction. Pegasus were advertising for drivers out of Hilton Park/Toyota but it’s not tramping. I have used 3 ink cartridges in the last fortnight doing speculative applications, and loads of fuel looking round. So you take that back about me obviously not looking hard enough Ollie! Bloody cheek! :unamused: :laughing:

Got applications in hand today, and visiting or ringing some of the places people have suggested on here.

Cheers fellas :smiley:

8wheels:
I think I would have said something along the lines of

“Look don’t take this the wrong way but if can manage to single handedly load and secure vehicles and plant costing hundreds of thousands of pounds and deliver them in perfect condition I’m sure that I could grasp the concept of opening and closing curtains”

Surely you’d have had nothing to lose and they may have sat up and taken notice that you’d had the balls :wink: to say so.

And for the record, I’m sure I couldn’t do the plant movements that way. When I deliver a new machine on behalf of the JCB or NH dealer it’s my way or the highway. Chains if I feel it needs them and although I try to minimise it, I’ll not lose any sleep over a bit of chipped paint.

Hang in there Bubblegum :laughing: , something I’ll surely turn up.

Thanks for that 8, much appreciated :wink:

try west transport at ilkeston bumpy. they used to do tramping on the biscuit job out of ashby and they pay for parking. good clean easy work.mostly rdc.

I applied for a voluntary job with a charity, driving a van. Apparently 30 plus years of Class 1 work is no good, I dont have van driving experience… :unamused:

Tiger.

My apologies grumpy, you said there was no work in your opening post I didn’t mean owt by it just saying there is work coming up. Obviously it’ll be difficult for you as anyone who interviews you might see you as a threat.
Paragon are looking for laundry drivers if you fancy lugging cages of linen round :smiley: Money isn’t bad at £9.65 p/h and time and half after 48 but I turned the interview down don’t wanna go back to 3am starts!
I’ll send you a pm about something :slight_smile: