Is £7.00 a hour bad or good at the moment

I have been offered a job today on containers the unit is ok but the money is £7.00 per hour. Hours will be between 50 and 60 no overtime rate is this the norm for hourly rate i have only worked on salary

i think anything under £9 ph is an insult to a proffessional driver .

theres a local chippie advertising a fryer for £7ph , that says it all.

but hey …ive always said drivers are their own worst enimies .

There have been many, many discussions on this issue recently.

Different views such as -
A wage not fit for a professional
Employers are taking the [ZB] as there are more jobs than drivers
I would never lower myself to work for such a low wage
I would take it as it’s better than the dole
As a newbie, that would be good for my experience

I bet there are more…

In the end it will come down to your own personal choice and necessity.

In an ideal world the day rate per hour for the various classes might be something like -
CE £10
C £9
C1 £8
B (van) £7

it’s not the best, however, what’s the overnight money, meal allowance, etc?
i’m on £88 per day, but i get that weather i do 1 hour or 15 hours. but it’s topped up with overnight money, meal allowance, and £16 for working before 8am or after 7pm. but i can’t get it twice in one day. So if i was just doing days for example then it would be crap. But because of the way it’s set up i come out with £587.00 per week, unless i’m on holiday.

every job is differnt and pays different. even though we all have a HGV licence the contianer boys who sit on there arse doing nothing all day :laughing: :laughing: get paid a great wage while removal men who do hard graft loading unloading packin and driving are on a ■■■■■ wage compare to them. During this current climate i would not moan about 7pounds ph if it gets you out of the house and pays off the morgage thats all that matters right.

limeyphil:
it’s not the best, however, what’s the overnight money, meal allowance, etc?
i’m on £88 per day, but i get that weather i do 1 hour or 15 hours. but it’s topped up with overnight money, meal allowance, and £16 for working before 8am or after 7pm. but i can’t get it twice in one day. So if i was just doing days for example then it would be crap. But because of the way it’s set up i come out with £587.00 per week, unless i’m on holiday.

The night out money is £22.00 but he is based just off the a14 at bury so may not get 4 a week it will be more like 2 a week

As above - it’s hobsons choice at the minute, only you can decide what’s best for you.

acceptme:
every job is differnt and pays different. even though we all have a HGV licence the contianer boys who sit on there arse doing nothing all day :laughing: :laughing: .

I take exception to that :smiley: , I have 8 twistlocks to do, not the usual 4 :exclamation: . Anyway £7 is not brilliant but then the job isnt hard at all, and you will probably get 65+ hours in on containers anyway. And probably at least 4-5 hours a day will be sitting doing nothing, like I am now, so take a book, laptop, playstation, tv with you and just pass the time till the recession is over.

Well I’d not touch it for £7 ph but thankfully I’m not out of work and needing income, when I last needed a job a few years ago I took agency work at £7.75 ph and O/T at about £9.00, this was only a short term thing though. However circumstances change and I’d possibly consider it now.

60hrs a week and £22 overnight allowance tots upto £574p/w, i would do it! its nearly 30grand a year!

chappy261:
60hrs a week and £22 overnight allowance tots upto £574p/w, i would do it! its nearly 30grand a year!

60 hours at £7.00 = £420.00 + 2 nights out at £22.00 = 44.00 total = £464.00 top line i wish it was £574.00.

Marty B7:

Times may be hard at the moment but I agree - anything under £9 an hour for an Artic Driver (although Rog is right - should be £10) is an insult!

Driver Hire are looking for Class 1 tipper drivers in Lanarkshire right now “for on-going contracts”. What are they going to pay per hour? £6.50 !!! That is an all time low by any standards - and frankly disgusting!
The company they’re advertising on behalf of, pay their permanent drivers a lot more than that!

:imp: :imp:

ANDY1961:

Marty B7:

Times may be hard at the moment but I agree - anything under £9 an hour for an Artic Driver (although Rog is right - should be £10) is an insult!

Driver Hire are looking for Class 1 tipper drivers in Lanarkshire right now “for on-going contracts”. What are they going to pay per hour? £6.50 !!! That is an all time low by any standards - and frankly disgusting!
The company they’re advertising on behalf of, pay their permanent drivers a lot more than that!

:imp: :imp:

did you see what they were offering class 2 drivers?

£6 an hour

{zb} that

Good or bad it’s £7.00 p/hr more than you’ll get sat on your ■■■ at home!!!.. :confused: :confused:

I have to say £7 is a bit cheeky but if needs must can you afford to say no ? there are not many jobs out there but i agree with a lot of members who say £10 is more realistic for artic work :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

I wouldnt work my ■■■ off for that money ,but a job is a job just now.As was said watch tv or a dvd dont bother cleaning the cab or polishing the mirrors.Or have a kip.

im getting £9 basic and thats day rate. drivers wages havent been affected by the rate cuts. the boss has absorbed the loss in profit. i have worked for this agency for 3 years and i wouldnt consider any other agency. this guy is the best boss i have ever had :sunglasses:

Hell, im salary paid for 48hours and im easily doing 60+ and i work dammed hard for it, 2am every morning pfft rather be on the dole tbh ;(

Well, we live in a supply and demand economy and if the wage isn’t high enough, he won’t find the drivers he needs.

I was talking to a T D Williams driver this week and they have all been awarded a 10% pay cut… I can see this happening across the board this year.

Personally, I would work for it if I had to, even if I could earn more money doing some ■■■■ job like office work.

GAV LAA:
Good or bad it’s £7.00 p/hr more than you’ll get sat on your ■■■ at home!!!.. :confused: :confused:

Im not sat on my ■■■ at home i am sat in a taxi doing upto 75 hours a week so think before you write