£7 an hour. Good, bad or downright ugly?!

So, after a trial last week, I’ve been offered a Class 2 trunking job on nights. All was good and then came the mention of pay. £7 per hour, no overtime premium, no weekend premium AND half an hour per day deducted for break. Over a 50 hour week on average, things would be a struggle!

As a newbie I’m wondering, is this pay the norm or an insult? After all, I didn’t spend thousands of pounds to become qualified for an extra 50p an hour!

So I’m thinking maybe struggle and ■■■■ it up for 6 months for the experience and then move on.

Any advice?

Thanks everyone and be safe.

Hey man.

sounds like an insult and I aint even training yet lol! But if there’s not much about what can you do? All experience counts I guess…

cheers

Its not even a living wage. Personally I’d tell them to ram it.

Sounds like a kick in the baws when the “Living Wage” is set at £7.85. It’s a flippin joke to scrimp and save to get qualified to do a skilled job with a lot of responsibility and not even be paid the living wage.

livingwage.org.uk/news/new-2 … -announced

Stay well away

Don’t do it. If everyone refuses, they’ll have to pay a bit more.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Chilly77:
So, after a trial last week, I’ve been offered a Class 2 trunking job on nights. All was good and then came the mention of pay. £7 per hour, no overtime premium, no weekend premium AND half an hour per day deducted for break. Over a 50 hour week on average, things would be a struggle!

As a newbie I’m wondering, is this pay the norm or an insult? After all, I didn’t spend thousands of pounds to become qualified for an extra 50p an hour!

So I’m thinking maybe struggle and ■■■■ it up for 6 months for the experience and then move on.

Any advice?

You could use and abuse them, get some experience then move on, always easier to get another job whilst you’ve got one.

That’s my advice.

Paul :slight_smile:

Double edged sword. Yes its a crap wage but they have offered you a job. Its a catch 22.

thats a slap in the face, tell him to do one. i only passed my class 2 in oct last year and im getting alot more than that.

be cheeky though say no and say the least your prepared to do the job for is whatever you think is reasonable for the job, or do what i did say you have been offered so much somewhere else and you will work your 2 weeks notice, the next day he came to me with a much better offer. im happy coz im on a good wage even for class 1, and hes happy coz hes got someone that will bend over backwards to be helpful.

For that sort of money they’d need to be putting you through your class 1 to make it kind of alright. I was on more than that in 2000 working in a factory ffs. After I passed my class 2 I found that 21k (plus they’d put me through class 1 & give ADR training) was the best offer I had, but it wasn’t enough so I bit the bullet and put myself through class 1. I think it was PC Howard who I rang up that offered something like £7 odd - I was speechless when she said the amount.

I’m not ashamed to say I was gobsmacked!

Pete, even more so as its a firm you recommended and you’re a good man and I trust your word and respect your opinion immensely. Maybe what they’re telling you they pay and us drivers is different? I have no clue?

£7 an hour just isn’t justifiable in my opinion but as above, I may have to use and absuse to get the experience.

Downhearted isn’t the word right now…

elmet training:

Chilly77:

Any advice?

You could use and abuse them, get some experience then move on, always easier to get another job whilst you’ve got one.

That’s my advice.

Paul :slight_smile:

This is a good point it will be easier to find a job if your already got one as a driver I’ve got my mod 4 early February and that’s me ready to go there is a local firm round me that takes on new drivers but they pay low but then your starting your paid for training tbh it’s a bit of a slap in the face they could of gon to 8 I just applied for a van driving job with one of those little bliper vans it’s car parts they pay £7:50 so for all your responceability you might as well do van driving. But you have to look at it as an apprentice type thing there going to show things that you normally would have to pay for in training.

I spoke to an agency and told them I was passing mod 4 etc and getting all my stuff together for work they said your going into the right industry as the cpc has made the old school drivers stick two fingers up at the gov so 20% of them have left so there is a major shortage. He said that it’s more class 1 I think but you can’t just rush in you got to get that experience.

Money will go up it’s already happening these £7 guys obvuisly see that they can get a profit by paying a low wage as some one with 2 yr experience could expect to charge 9-10 ph from when they start but me and you have nothing so we have to work for less it’s the same in every industry

As the shortage of drivers grips company’s will have to pay more.
Take for example the farmer supply’s tesco the farmers Tomatto weald experiences a bad season with weather so he gets half the expected crop so there is a shortage but still a huge demand the farmer names his price this will happen to the hgv it’s just a matter of time.

Probably when the old school retire

Trouble is just when you think that finally you’ve got a bit leverage they’ll be another load of Eastern Europeans come in with Hgv licences to drive wages back down.

I personally think £7 an hour for any LGV work is unacceptable to say the least. If I were in your shoes unless desperate for any source of income I’d turn the job down straight away and kept looking elsewhere. Thats an insult for anyone who’s been through all the difficulties of lgv training and having spent a lot of money to be offered 7 quid an hour. Experienced or not, doesn’t matter.

Yes it is pony and as for the eu drivers well I think a lot of places have problems with them and I have heard they are ■■■■■■ with the low pay if there coming here to drive surely they would want a bit more than what they get at home

Pete, even more so as its a firm you recommended and you’re a good man and I trust your word and respect your opinion immensely. Maybe what they’re telling you they pay and us drivers is different? I have no clue?

That’s awful! Name and shame and I wont be sending anyone there. It’s a disgrace. pm me if you want with the name.

Thanks, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Disgusting, only take it if not doing so will put you in severe financial hardship and there is absolutely no alternative.

If you have to take it, spend every day poking your face into likely places in your work clothes, telling them you’re on the way to or just finished work, and don’t be afraid to dump this shyster in the mire with no notice at all when you get a better offer…i’m all for leaving places on good terms but this bunch deserve all thats coming to them.

I wouldn’t like to ask what the hourly rate for days is

it’s really your choice at the end of the day bud,
but personally I wouldn’t work for that money

Take it. But activly look for a new job.