£7 an hour. Good, bad or downright ugly?!

The real disgusting thing about this is that everyone writes things like than in forum but no one names the company…

Untill people will start to name companies nothing will change…

If company will have bad reputation people will stop sending CVs to them and they will be force to start to think…
If no one will know who that company is people will still send them CVs and after told pay will think - “well I guess I have to take the bullet because no one says anything bad about them so probably thats normal and so on…”

People who don’t warn others about bad companies are disgusting individuals… basically the same as walking down the street and not warning other people when seeing something falling on them or so…

Go with agency is my advice. The problem is amount of work available for Class 2, as Class 1 is more in demand. But you can always tell agency that you would be available to do warehouse work as well as driving. Overall pay is better. Even though you may be doing less hours, because you earn more per hour, as well as other benefits agency could be a better route to take with a new licence. Here is an example.

Permanent job at £7 per hour, 60 hour week=£420-5x30min breaks=£402.50. Take home would be £330.52 or £17,187 per year (incl 4 week holiday pay).

If you were to go via an agency via LTD setup with a VAT registration, then you would get the following, which would be of course approximate, as impossible to tell how many hours a week you would be doing exactly. But let’s assume you are doing same hours to start with and then do the deductions.

You are Director of your LTD company and contract via agencies. Your average basic would be around £9 and overtime about £12 for Class 2. So 60 hour week would come at around £600, then add 9% VAT that you get to keep would make it £719.40 per week. After deductions (15%) your weekly take home would be around £611.49 which would in a perfect world equate to £31,797. But let’s say that out of 52 weeks in a year you would only get 40 weeks worth of shifts at those rates through agencies, that would make your annual salary/dividends around £24,459, which is a very basic calculation as I haven’t included expenses which you would deduct as well as some night out money which are not taxed (as far as I am aware), etc.

So, basically you are looking at £17,187 vs £24,259 and if you earn £24,459 you work less hours in a year. I don’t know about you, but I know which one I choose :wink:

Kyk… REALLY?! I think you’re confused. You’re getting serial killers confused with people who need income to support their families and have little choice. Just because you or your mates are uninformed doesn’t make anyone disgusting as you think. And you’re comparison to watching someone get hurt or killed shows just how narrow minded you are in you’re thinking if you honestly believe it can be compared. I worry for people like you…and the wellbeing of those around you.

To everyone else, thanks for your helpful advise and I’ll give it all a great deal of thought :slight_smile:

romik:
Go with agency is my advice. The problem is amount of work available for Class 2, as Class 1 is more in demand. But you can always tell agency that you would be available to do warehouse work as well as driving. Overall pay is better. Even though you may be doing less hours, because you earn more per hour, as well as other benefits agency could be a better route to take with a new licence. Here is an example.

Permanent job at £7 per hour, 60 hour week=£420-5x30min breaks=£402.50. Take home would be £330.52 or £17,187 per year (incl 4 week holiday pay).

If you were to go via an agency via LTD setup with a VAT registration, then you would get the following, which would be of course approximate, as impossible to tell how many hours a week you would be doing exactly. But let’s assume you are doing same hours to start with and then do the deductions.

You are Director of your LTD company and contract via agencies. Your average basic would be around £9 and overtime about £12 for Class 2. So 60 hour week would come at around £600, then add 9% VAT that you get to keep would make it £719.40 per week. After deductions (15%) your weekly take home would be around £611.49 which would in a perfect world equate to £31,797. But let’s say that out of 52 weeks in a year you would only get 40 weeks worth of shifts at those rates through agencies, that would make your annual salary/dividends around £24,459, which is a very basic calculation as I haven’t included expenses which you would deduct as well as some night out money which are not taxed (as far as I am aware), etc.

So, basically you are looking at £17,187 vs £24,259 and if you earn £24,459 you work less hours in a year. I don’t know about you, but I know which one I choose :wink:

you could ltd company also runs catering at weekends so the £500 a week keeps you going the weekend is extra ££££££ when it does well as it seasonal there are markets and shows everywhere and it’s only weekends so it’s concentrated income U would employ a manager through the company to run the week ends look at the events guide .com just google street food it’s easy to set up what this guy is explaining might be the best way and the best way for your employer

Something you have not factored inn is accountancy costs and public liability

But ltd 100% is the best way brothers

Digit369:
Yes it is pony and as for the eu drivers well I think a lot of places have problems with them and I have heard they are ■■■■■■ with the low pay if there coming here to drive surely they would want a bit more than what they get at home

You must of heard wrong then. £7 an hour to an east european is a hell of alot more than they would be on at home.

Its a reflection off our industry, and probably a reason why they have a position to offer you, at £7 ph they would have a reasonable turn over of drivers. The catch 22 is that you have been offered a job and that will get you experience. Use this as an opportunity to gain experience and further your career. The shut door of no experience that you come up against at the moment, will always be there until you take the plunge :wink:

Good luck, things can only get better :wink:

PS I would get some experience before entering into the world off limited company, but thats only My opinion :wink:

Digit369:

romik:

you could ltd company also runs catering at weekends so the £500 a week keeps you going the weekend is extra ££££££ when it does well as it seasonal there are markets and shows everywhere and it’s only weekends so it’s concentrated income U would employ a manager through the company to run the week ends look at the events guide .com just google street food it’s easy to set up what this guy is explaining might be the best way and the best way for your employer

Something you have not factored inn is accountancy costs and public liability

But ltd 100% is the best way brothers

You don’t need public liability. Accountants fees can be offset against expenses that I haven’t accounted for though :slight_smile:

daftvader:

Digit369:
Yes it is pony and as for the eu drivers well I think a lot of places have problems with them and I have heard they are ■■■■■■ with the low pay if there coming here to drive surely they would want a bit more than what they get at home

You must of heard wrong then. £7 an hour to an east european is a hell of alot more than they would be on at home.

Work migrants from Eastern Europe do pose a problem, as they are offered lower wage and they accept it. I heard it many times now of drivers losing their contracts to a drivers from EU specifically for those reasons and that is wrong. We are told that work migrants fill jobs that we don’t want to do, but it’s not just that, it’s undercutting our rates too.

daftvader:

Digit369:

You shouldnt forget about living costs/income ratio. Making lets say £4-5 an hour somewhere in the Eastern Europe would be similar to UK’s £10 an hour. It all depends. In England property prices are rocket high while even in Germany so not far to the East are more affordable. So it shouldnt be calculated 1 to 1 I believe.

If you are a tramper your living costs can be reduced significantly if over your weekly rest period you stay at your mates or God forbid in a lorry.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eu … erage_wage

Average monthly take home in countries like Romania and Bulgaria (according to the above source) is around 400 Euros and less vs UK’s 2500 Euros (under £2000). So if you are a tramper or are prepared to live in a overcrowded property and reduce your living expenses you can save a lot and in 3 years go back home and buy a house there and a new car.

Like romik said you can keep your rental costs down by spending weekends in the truck in the yard.I have been told of one haulage firm where this happens with there east euro drivers.

daftvader:
Like romik said you can keep your rental costs down by spending weekends in the truck in the yard.I have been told of one haulage firm where this happens with there east euro drivers.

So what is happening is a reduction of rates based on outsourcing cheaper work force which is unfair, as we have families and aren’t prepared to match work migrant’s ability to live in very basic environments and by doing so reducing their outgoings dramatically. That’s why there is a new tendency for agencies to prefer Eastern European drivers as agency gets to be more competitive in relation to other agencies by offering a cheaper work force.

romik:
If you are a tramper your living costs can be reduced significantly if over your weekly rest period you stay at your mates or God forbid in a lorry.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eu … erage_wage

Average monthly take home in countries like Romania and Bulgaria (according to the above source) is around 400 Euros and less vs UK’s 2500 Euros (under £2000). So if you are a tramper or are prepared to live in a overcrowded property and reduce your living expenses you can save a lot and in 3 years go back home and buy a house there and a new car.

OMG :open_mouth:
BRoker did not tell me this

Absolute joke

I HAVE NEVER VOTED ON E.ECTION MY WHOLE LIFE BUT THIS YEAR I MIGHT POP IN FOR A BREW LMAO

romik:

daftvader:

So what is happening is a reduction of rates based on outsourcing cheaper work force which is unfair, as we have families and aren’t prepared to match work migrant’s ability to live in very basic environments and by doing so reducing their outgoings dramatically. That’s why there is a new tendency for agencies to prefer Eastern European drivers as agency gets to be more competitive in relation to other agencies by offering a cheaper work force.

Yes . Unfortunately that is the case.I can’t see it getting any better anytime soon either.Be game over if the turks ever get in the eu

daftvader:

romik:

daftvader:

Yes . Unfortunately that is the case.I can’t see it getting any better anytime soon either.Be game over if the turks ever get in the eu

Yep quite right, why it’s taken working people so long to realise that the status quo have no interest in their plight i have no idea.
The three cheeks of the same arse party(s) wish us to stay in and integrate further into the EU, endorse them by all means but at the risk to yours and your childrens futures.

Come May we have the chance to call a halt, if we don’t the rates being discussed here will be standard for most working people in due course.

Your choice.

romik:
If you are a tramper your living costs can be reduced significantly if over your weekly rest period you stay at your mates or God forbid in a lorry…

I’ve known enough brits do this, A mate off mine did this for about 18mths after his marriage finished, he was able to get himself back on his feet financially, a lot quicker than if he’d had to rent a flat to live in.

romik:

Also Spain and Portugal. We had a guy working for us last year, on agency, he owns a house in Spain, and for the last decade had been running to the UK from Spain, for a Spanish haulier. Well now the pay has collapsed from around the 3000euro a month to around 1600euro a month. So he works in the UK for 3 weeks, then has a week back in Spain, Seems as its not only a UK problem :wink:

Digit369:
I HAVE NEVER VOTED ON E.ECTION MY WHOLE LIFE BUT THIS YEAR I MIGHT POP IN FOR A BREW LMAO

Wow, steady on, never voted :open_mouth: :open_mouth: what you like 18 :unamused:

daftvader:

romik:

A few years ago I was concerned that the eurocrats would get their way and let Turkey join, but after the last couple off years, I don’t think that will ever happen. Turkeys leaders seem to be moving more to an Islamic Theocracy, rather than more to a Euro democracy. But that was a close call :wink:

daftvader:

I know a firm that were offering this deal 10 yrs ago, to the 1st E Euro drivers, would pay a daily rate for every day the
wheels turned, but no night out money, but the driver only had to get out the truck when it was in the workshop, so lived rent free were eve they came to a stop for a weekly rest period :unamused:

How could a brit driver ever compete with that :unamused:

Just noticed where you live daftvader, and who I’m talking about aren’t that far from you, and probably the same lot that you’ve heard off, with their orange and yellow strip :wink:

Think we just go with the flow.And yeah it has taken us far to long to realise it.Hopefully come may thinks will hopefully change.But i’m not going to hold my breath on that one.

Eddie snax.The ones i’m talking about are all red.Mostly cf dafs.Have the name of the firm in yellow.Think your probably right about Turkey now.Think the Ukraine will be trying to join soon to.