Inverter advice.

I’m looking to upgrade my little hella plug 300w inverter to a 2500w one so I can power microwave etc in the cab.

I found this one online which on price looks good, and as the microwave I am looking to power is only a 700w one, its well in on power rating too but its half the price of all the others I have found. Have I lucked into a decent inverter for a fraction of the price or am I opening myself up to a world of hurt if I plumb the bugger into a truck?

It’s definitely a lot cheaper than some other places selling the same model, eg: Roadking are selling it for £324 inc VAT.

Only thing with microwaves is you’ve got to find the actual power rating not the cooking one. A microwave rated to 700W cooking power will likely be pulling at least 1200W and maybe more (details will be on the back). Then multiply the wattage by 2 - 3x and you’ll get the size of inverter required.

Finally, the best inverters are the “pure sine wave” ones rather than “modified sine wave” although not sure if microwaves are that desperately worried which type you run. If you plan to run anything more fancy than a microwave like a laptop then pure sine is better, albeit more expensive.

nsmith1180:
I’m looking to upgrade my little hella plug 300w inverter to a 2500w one so I can power microwave etc in the cab.

I found this one online which on price looks good, and as the microwave I am looking to power is only a 700w one, its well in on power rating too but its half the price of all the others I have found. Have I lucked into a decent inverter for a fraction of the price or am I opening myself up to a world of hurt if I plumb the bugger into a truck?

Power Inverter | 2500W Soft Start 12-24Vdc 230Vac | Quasar UK

Did you see this bit :- ‘’
Please note: The inverter will NOT operate high wattage appliances or equipment that produce heat, such as hair dryers, microwave ovens and toasters. ‘’

If I did Raymondo it didn’t sink in! Maybe because I don’t think of a Microwave as particularly high wattage.

It’s simple. The reason they say you can’t run a microwave is because they know fine well they’re selling a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ that will break if you power anything more than a phone charger or laptop from it.

good quality products always cost more but last longer aswell i find

I’ve got a 3kw Gentec one from amazon that copes well with 700w microwave and 650w kettle going at same time ( with truck engine running ) amazon.co.uk/d/i19/Generic- … w+inverter

I have a ring 2000w modified sine wave inverter, its runs a 700w microwave with no problems at all. Also got a travel kettle which works without any complaints from the inverter. Laptop and a 22" lcd tv also run without any problems. When boiling the kettle or using the microwave i always run the engine because they do draw a lot of power.