In cab cooking

Just one of those random questions that occur to me occasionally.

If you’re one of those that do the in cab cooking thing, how do you wash up the pan, the plate, and cutlery, especially if you’re in a layby with no running water and you’ve made a curry or something? Do you carry a washing up bowl and a gallon of water?

Of course, although I don’t think many would be making a curry from scratch. A washing-up bowl is an essential item along with plenty of water!

This is my solution.
For really difficult stuff like porridge I save the dishes that you contain ready meals.
When I’ve finished I put the dish in a carrier bag,tie a knot in it to stop everything drying and take it home

I’ve got army style mess tins and just eat from them when cooked.
While eating dinner, boil kettle.
When finished eating put some fairy liquid in the pan and some hot water, wash the cutlery and rinse with water in container with tap(cost about 10 quid) then dry with paper towel. Scrub pans to remove any excess food and pour more hot water in to finish cleaning. Rinse pans with container out of window if cold or from passenger door when warm I just hold everything out the window :laughing:
It can look a bit messy straight after but you can’t normally see it the next day.
I hate washing up though, hate it at home hate it in the cab. I take 4 meals with me and cook on a stove all week but have gone to the pub for dinner if I can’t be arsed like last night at the village on fifth st in manc. Sometimes it’s nice to get out the cab but I wouldn’t waste money on it daily and I don’t have to worry where I might end up parking when I’ve got everything I need.

Cling film or foil is your friend. For cold stuff like cereal, line the bowl with cling, eat, throw the cling away and the bowl stays clean. For frying or heating a curry, use foil - It’s a bit tricky but with care not to tear it, you can end up with a clean pan. If you have a microwave - use disposable trays.

Wet wipes clean everything from your pans and cutlery to oily greasy airlines and anything in between.

jessicas dad:
Wet wipes clean everything from your pans and cutlery to oily greasy airlines and anything in between.

I hope you clean you’re airlines before you’re pans :laughing:

Santa:
Cling film or foil is your friend. For cold stuff like cereal, line the bowl with cling, eat, throw the cling away and the bowl stays clean. For frying or heating a curry, use foil - It’s a bit tricky but with care not to tear it, you can end up with a clean pan. If you have a microwave - use disposable trays.

By the sound of it it would be easier to clean up, not to mention a hell of a lot less wasteful.

2-gallon water container, wash-up liquid, small plastic washing-up bowl.
What’s so difficult?

ROADRANGER:

jessicas dad:

I hope you clean you’re airlines before you’re pans :laughing:

I do… I clean the wet wipes with more wet wipes :laughing:

So, what is your modus operandi re the washing up Switch, seeing as you’re the ‘main man’ with regards to cooking in the cab?

Plenty of water heat some water up in pan that cooked/eaten from some washing up liquid wash dry with a glass cloth

Hang cloth up to dry like do with towel after shower

Do take home most weekends to wash

So easy really just have to think outside the box

Pick up water if needs be during week sometimes free from places ie take small container ( milk if you take or have ) then use the hand basin normally used for washing hands in services place container under for water saves buying then always boil when ready for use

I normally carry plenty water now cheap enough in bottles when go shopping I do have a water carrier from camping days which I use

citycat:
So, what is your modus operandi re the washing up Switch, seeing as you’re the ‘main man’ with regards to cooking in the cab?

He is THE master of lay by living the fanny craddock of trucknet.

disposable plates and boil in the bag

35 years ago when I was on the m/e, I had a kitchen unit I was able to change from one truck to another.
This contained my two ring plus grill gas cooker,and a stainless steel sink with water pump and a 5 gallon water supply.
This was more than adequate in the winter for cooking any meal and for personal washing.

ROADRANGER:

citycat:

He is THE master of lay by living the fanny craddock of trucknet.

I’m more of a Nigella… :wink:

Antiseptic kitchen wipes for plates bowls and crockery, with pans as soon as you’ve decanted the foodstuffs onto the plate pop some cold water in the hot pan and leave to soak while one consumes one’s vittels, then tip away and wipe clean with kitchen roll. Then for desert a couple of lines of coke. :wink:

switchlogic:
Then for desert a couple of lines of coke. :wink:

Do the bubbles make you sneeze as you snort it :wink:

I used to carry loads of tupperware boxes when I was tramping. These are useful as makeshift washing up bowls, as well as for storing leftover food. I used to cook some quite adventurous things with nothing but a wok and a saucepan and a small one burner gas stove … I once knocked up a prawn curry from scratch while on the bay at Argos in Welwyn Garden City. :slight_smile:

For me its simple, just put everything in the dishwasher, but not whilst the washing machine is on cos of the water consumption… :laughing:

A bowl is a must, as is a large water container, i used to put this behind the cab, and run a submersible pump inside, with a pipe and switch going into the cab, it worked a treat, but winter time the water was inside the cab.