Chef in the cab

Whats the most creative meal you have cooked for yourself when slumming it in your cab…or are we all posh and dine out every night

The list is endless as I used to self cater a lot. Omelettes, various types of steaks, pasta dishes, stews, stir frys and so on. These days I manly eat out though or go for stuff which doesn’t need cooking if I self cater.

Switchlogic is your man for this though, he is a master at Camion Cusine.

Coffeeholic:
The list is endless as I used to self cater a lot. Omelettes, various types of steaks, pasta dishes, stews, stir frys and so on. These days I manly eat out though or go for stuff which doesn’t need cooking if I self cater.

Switchlogic is your man for this though, he is a master at Camion Cusine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWFIpFQUWEo

Very impressed…Im new to night outs and fortunately they will be rare, but i will be try to self cater unless i know the food out is half decent…

10p noodles from tesco

Here’s a couple of quick easy dishes

1 tin of asda own brand hot chicken curry
1 small tin of asda peas
1 onion
1 bag uncle bens boil in the bag rice

Start by boiling the rice for 11 mins, empty water out then chop onion and fry in saucepan with a small amount of butter until onion softens then add curry and peas and simmer for 10 minutes pour on rice and eat.

Another easy dish.

Asda sell Swedish meatballs so get a packet fry them in a little butter then chuck in a small tin of tomato pasta sause add a tin of peas if you want and a tin of carrots season with salt pepper and cayenne pepper for some bite, then grate some cheese and stir in jobs a good un. If your really hungry or cooking for 2 then cook some pasta first and then stir this in with the meatballs.

2 lamb steaks, a jacket spud and a bit o salad is the nearest i got to Delia. That was when i had my oven, but the cab used to stink so i stopped. Nowadays it’s big soup or meatballs and a tin of mixed veg i heat up on the gas ring. Easy peasy and lovely with some grated cheese on to. Supernoodles with ham and cheese is also a winner

Why do brit drivers cook inside the cab? Frying stuff makes the cab stink and eventually the upholstry, headlings and seats get coated with grease. I cook loads of stuff, but if it needs frying then its outside or in the trailer.

Hombre:
Why do brit drivers cook inside the cab? Frying stuff makes the cab stink and eventually the upholstry, headlings and seats get coated with grease. I cook loads of stuff, but if it needs frying then its outside or in the trailer.

Does this give you a clue. :smiley:

I was a dab hand at microwaving Rustler burgers, does that count? Or if using the cooker, bacon sarnies done outside, as Hombre said, why stink the cab out.

My best (and quite a regular):

• Pan Fried Breast of Duck
  • Home made Orange Sauce (again done in the pan)
  • Saute Potatoes

I absolutely love to cook and think that doing so while on the road is a brilliant thing to do. You’ve normally got a couple of hours to kill in the evening so I find it helps kill time.
I agree that I prefer to do it outside, but sometimes in cab is the only place without freezing to death.

Alex

If you’ve got a microwave, then you can get a plastic tray type thing that cooks great bacon, I got mine in tosco it only cost a pound.

The one big thing in cooking good cab cuisine is seasoning, always carry salt,pepper,cayenne pepper,mustard powder, mixed dried herbs and Worcester sauce these can turn a bland crappy meal into something that tastes half decent

daleyboy:
The one big thing in cooking good cab cuisine is seasoning, always carry salt,pepper,cayenne pepper,mustard powder, mixed dried herbs and Worcester sauce these can turn a bland crappy meal into something that tastes half decent

Why■■? The only thing i like out of that list is salt and pepper! :laughing: :laughing: it would be like buying a kettle, as i dont drink hot drinks, ive never owned a kettle, and have no intention of doing so :laughing: :wink:

Scarab:
My best (and quite a regular):

• Pan Fried Breast of Duck
  • Home made Orange Sauce (again done in the pan)
  • Saute Potatoes

I absolutely love to cook and think that doing so while on the road is a brilliant thing to do. You’ve normally got a couple of hours to kill in the evening so I find it helps kill time.
I agree that I prefer to do it outside, but sometimes in cab is the only place without freezing to death.

Alex

It is my favourite pastime and I have the belly to prove it, but the best trailer catering was with norman Lewis, on the side of the trailer we had a huge stainless steel box that if you organised yourself you could always have an alfresco meal, obviously coupled to a couple of bottles of duty free or local wine, but one thing is when you pulled up the side of another NLT driver, it wasn’t long before the beer store was broken into :laughing:

One of my favourites : Magro con tomate (pork in tomatoes)

1 medium onion chopped
garlic cloves crushed and chopped [I use 5 of them]
3 bay leaves
tin plum tomatoes
half kilo pork not too lean
olive oil

Put about a tablespoon of oil in the pan and heat, add the onion and soften then add thegarlic and pork. Brown the pork off then add the tomatoes and bayleaves, bring to the boil then allow to simmer slowly until the liquid reduces down to a thick sauce. Add salt to taste.

Serve with crusty bread, any left over is great cold in a sandwich next day.

daleyboy:
If you’ve got a microwave, then you can get a plastic tray type thing that cooks great bacon, I got mine in tosco it only cost a pound.

And dried chilli flakes, dried onion, dried garlic, bay leaves, tabasco sauce.

kindle530:

daleyboy:

Why■■? The only thing i like out of that list is salt and pepper! :laughing: :laughing: it would be like buying a kettle, as i dont drink hot drinks, ive never owned a kettle, and have no intention of doing so :laughing: :wink:

Same as me, I don’t drink hot drinks either, as for the seasoning then replace my choices with things you do like. There’s just no pleasing some people :laughing:

Ketchup or brown sauce for me Rustler’s, as their sauce isnt too good :wink:
As far as im concerned i am easy to please cos i dont like a lot! (food that is!)

Up to now when i’ve self catered it just been pot noodles or sandwiches, but i’ve just bought a cooker so may start getting adventurous pretty soon.
problem is all the utensils and pans needed and then to be washed and stored as space is at a premium in a cf.

muckles:
Does this give you a clue. :smiley:

Why is it UK drivers can`t think outside the cab?? (box??)

you obviously aint observed our European cousins sat parked up on industrial estates, sat on fold up chairs, around a table holding parties, & cooking dinner with their mates in the back of the trailer. I couldnt believe my eyes the other night while pulling out of the depot, when I passed a trailer. A few poles where sat in the back of an empty trailer drinking beer. It looked like they`d got the laptop hooked up to some kind of portable projector watching something projected onto the headboard of the empty trailer.

Now thats Ingenuity …

Though the thought of some sad UK driver rigging up his own personnel cinema in the back of the open trailer watching “debbie does Dallas” etc after 8 pints indulging in some “personnel recreation” leaves me with bizarre images in my head, enough for me to need…